X-Men III Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
    I was.....but I'm not going to waste money on a theater ticket for a movie that will probably leave me severely disappointed.....it sounds like a rental.

I mean 97 minutes? Come on.....
    Pssh...I'll be seeing the digital version at 12:01am! If I'm not to sleepy when I pull myself home from the movie...I'll let ya know how it turns out. From the previews it looks excellent.

Like a few others have commented on here...I don't base much on reviews. A lot of people like the two Kill Bill movies and I thought they were the biggest waste of celluloid since the dawn of motion pictures.

So, lets wait and see what happens on the big screen!
    sigpic

Comment

I saw a screening of it last night...

Spoiler:
      - No Nightcrawler.
      - Cyclops has a very small role in the film, which for me is good.
      - Scenes in the movie don't seem to flow as much as they did in the first and second films. This may be due to changes with directors.
      - Great actions sequences throughout the movie... better than the first two combined.
      - Continiuity error: Beast appears in this film as a mutant, however, in the second film, Beast makes a cameo as Dr. Hank McCoy on a TV in human form. This contradicts what he says about fighting for mutant rights for "years".
      - Many "deaths", including Cyclops by Jean Grey/Phoenix, Professor X by Jean Grey/Phoenix, and finally Jean Grey/Phoenix by Wolverine. There is a scene following the credits which reveals that Professor X did survive.
      - A number of mutants loose their abilities: Mystique is the first to and is subsequently abandoned by Magneto. Magneto supposedly looses his power by 4 injections (instead of only one that Mystique got), but seemingly at the end, he has retained some power. Rouge looses hers by choice.
      - Warren Worthington III/Angel has hardly any part in the film.
      - The Pyro/Iceman face-off is alluded to throughout the film, yet the fight doesn't last that long.

I don't have a complete opinion yet of the film, besides that the plot was subsequently weaker than the first two, this film was less coherent than the first two, but has some of the greatest moments and battles than the first two combined.

Mattathias

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0

Spoiler:
        - No Nightcrawler.
        - Scenes in the movie don't seem to flow as much as they did in the first and second films. This may be due to changes with directors.
        - Great actions sequences throughout the movie... better than the first two combined.
        - Continiuity error: Beast appears in this film as a mutant, however, in the second film, Beast makes a cameo as Dr. Hank McCoy on a TV in human form. This contradicts what he says about fighting for mutant rights for "years".
        - Many "deaths", including Cyclops by Jean Grey/Phoenix, Professor X by Jean Grey/Phoenix, and finally Jean Grey/Phoenix by Wolverine. There is a scene following the credits which reveals that Professor X did survive.
        - A number of mutants loose their abilities: Mystique is the first to and is subsequently abandoned by Magneto. Magneto supposedly looses his power by 4 injections (instead of only one that Mystique got), but seemingly at the end, he has retained some power. Rouge looses hers by choice.
        - The Pyro/Iceman face-off is alluded to throughout the film, yet the fight doesn't last that long.

I don't have a complete opinion yet of the film, besides that the plot was subsequently weaker than the first two, this film was less coherent than the first two, but has some of the greatest moments and battles than the first two combined.

Mattathias

Yeah, I seem to feel along the same lines as you. I think not having Singer for the film may have made a difference. I will be seeing it again next week so I will probably have a more definite opinion then. Definitely worth seeing, visually it is quite spectacular, now if I could just feel better about the storyline......
        -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
          Yeah, I seem to feel along the same lines as you. I think not having Singer for the film may have made a difference. I will be seeing it again next week so I will probably have a more definite opinion then. Definitely worth seeing, visually it is quite spectacular, now if I could just feel better about the storyline......
          Well, Bryan Singer chose to leave to film Superman Returns, so they brought in Matthew Vaughn (Layer Cake) who worked on some of it... but then withdrew because of family issues, so then Brett Ratner was brought in. He was one of the ones orginally considered for directing the original/first film.

Mattathias

Comment

Well, I know I can't wait to see it. Get my own opinion.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter
              So, lets wait and see what happens on the big screen!
              Indeed! I know I'm still trying to stay positive about this one.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                Well, I know I can't wait to see it. Get my own opinion.
                It's definitely worth it. My problem is I have been reading the comics for 35 years and I am a mad fan so I can get a bit picky at times. I'm definitely going back to see it again next week so it certainly ain't bad
                -

Comment

Here's a positive review (I think it may contain a spoiler or two):

http://www.crosswalk.com/fun/movies/1398727.html

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

I saw the film yesterday, and in my opinion the only thing stopping it from being the best of the trilogy is the short running time and the effects of that - it made the film feel a bit rushed and disjointed at times, trying to fit so much into an hour and a half. An extra 30 minutes and it would have topped X2 (as it is, I prefer it to the first one).
                    The action scenes were great, especially Wolverine and Beast in the climactic battle. Speaking of Beast, he looked pretty good, if a tiny bit daft. Special effects were also great. Thought the story was pretty good, and the ruthlessness of the character killing was almost like 24.

9/10

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
                      It's definitely worth it. My problem is I have been reading the comics for 35 years and I am a mad fan so I can get a bit picky at times. I'm definitely going back to see it again next week so it certainly ain't bad
                      Wow! And I thought I had been reading them for a long time (25 years). I think almost the first thing I read was the Dark Phoenix Saga, so I'm a bit apprehensive about the movie. If I remember right, the first time I heard about the X-men was an X-men/Fantastic Four crossover when Kitty was about 13 and had a crush on Colussus--but I'd have to go through my comics to be sure.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

I saw it last night as well...and I agree with your assessment (almost) LOL. I commented within your spoiler below...I used a differnt color font so it would stand out.

Spoiler:
                        - No Nightcrawler.
                        - Cyclops has a very small role in the film, which for me is good. With this one...I disagree...I love Cyclops. Very easy on the eyes.
                        - Scenes in the movie don't seem to flow as much as they did in the first and second films. This may be due to changes with directors. 200% Agreed!
                        - Great actions sequences throughout the movie... better than the first two combined. Don' agree as much...but do agree that the action was excellent!
                        - Many "deaths", including Cyclops by Jean Grey/Phoenix, Professor X by Jean Grey/Phoenix, and finally Jean Grey/Phoenix by Wolverine. There is a scene following the credits which reveals that Professor X did survive. Well, **** in the bed! I was staying until after the credits...but there was a celluloid burn out!
                        - A number of mutants loose their abilities: Mystique is the first to and is subsequently abandoned by Magneto. Magneto supposedly looses his power by 4 injections (instead of only one that Mystique got), but seemingly at the end, he has retained some power. Rouge looses hers by choice. Rouge looses hers because she is a horn dog and wants Iceman's icicle! BTW...I loved seeing Iceman in full icy form!
                        - Warren Worthington III/Angel has hardly any part in the film. This is true...he was sadly underused!
                        - The Pyro/Iceman face-off is alluded to throughout the film, yet the fight doesn't last that long. Agree here as well. It would've been cool if he made some ice tracks like he used to on the Saturday morning cartoons!

Mattathias
                        Well, my comments were made with in Mattathias' spoiler area above. My comments are in red. I agree that the plot here was very week. Over all I enjoyed the movie...even though there was a celluloid burn out inthe middle of the credits. I do wanna go see the movie again before I make a final assessment.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
                          Wow! And I thought I had been reading them for a long time (25 years). I think almost the first thing I read was the Dark Phoenix Saga, so I'm a bit apprehensive about the movie. If I remember right, the first time I heard about the X-men was an X-men/Fantastic Four crossover when Kitty was about 13 and had a crush on Colussus--but I'd have to go through my comics to be sure.
                          Yep, you are remembering right. The crossover started the Phoenix storyline where Jean Grey came back and then they had the Dark Phoenix Saga. Excellent stuff!!

The movie is totally different though, not bad just different. That's probably why I'm have trouble deciding if I like the storyline.

Heh heh I really am a mad fan and comic collector - That's where my user name comes from
                          -

Comment

I saw it last night...as I mentioned in another thread. All in all I enjoyed it, but as another poster mentioned...it was rushed and disjoined. Plus, there was a celluloid burn out at the end...so I didn't get to see the special thingie at the end of the movie (AKA a movie Easter Egg...if you will).
                            sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                              - No Nightcrawler.

Mattathias
                              If you have looked in the past at X-Men, Hank McCoy could control his bestial urges. He looked like a human for most of his life, but lately he couldn't control it. That is how he was a human in number 2

Comment

Originally posted by shovar
                                If you have looked in the past at X-Men, Hank McCoy could control his bestial urges. He looked like a human for most of his life, but lately he couldn't control it. That is how he was a human in number 2
                                Good point...and one which I forgot about myself. Thanks for the refresher!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X