Partners in Crime (3001/401)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Indum'kra View Post
    Well, Donna wasn't as bad as I feared, pity I can't say the same about the episode. The only good bit was the doctor and Donna's miming and it being broken up by the 'nanny'.
    Yeah, that miming business had me in stitches. I wasn't too sure about having Catherine Tate in it because the way her character speaks is just over the top, but I liked it.

And the appearance of Rose...I was totally shocked!

The Moment that should NOT have happened!

Comment

Originally posted by Dyevanna View Post
      A better opener than New Earth and Smith and Jones, IMO.
      New Earth was much better imho I think when you are not having to spend time on introducing companions and their families, you can spend time on the story itself, I think the story here took a definite back seat.

For that reason I kind of hope Donna stays on for the specials next year. I also hope to god, that given how much older Donna is compared to Rose and Martha, that her family is not as involved in this series. I don't mind some sense of home for the companions but really it was all too much with Rose and Martha.

That is the stuff of soap opera not scifi, not Doctor Who IMHO.

Comment

Great episode of the Sarah Jane adventures. Maybe next week we will get a Doctor Who episode.

Comment

The Doctor's back!

Definitely an ep that will divide between those who enjoy the sillier elements of the show and those who don't.....I love the silliness, and the Adipose are one of the cutest things I have ever seen.....

I love Donna. I didn't the first time I saw the Christmas special, she grew on me the second time I watched it, and here she was brilliant- the scene with the miming, and the suitcases! She's definitely proven herself an excellent companion. And I like that they've gotten the shipping conversation over and done with. Yay!

And seeing Rose was an absolute shock- certainly never saw that coming. Should be interesting.....

And no key word this season? Frak.....I was looking hard this time! I was sure I had stumbled upon something when I saw a jacket in that closet with "Top Arch" written on the back.....It looked very suspicious hanging there, words carefully displayed.....

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
            I don't know? But I noticed hints of her Sketch Show characters peeking through on some of the stuff she said, I don't think it was intentinal however.

Still I has very impressed by her, and I like how she and the Doctor are decoming friends, rather than being another romanic situation!
            It may allow us to see a very diffrent side of the doctor, and allow him to tell her stuff he would not of told Rose and Martha.
            Yes glad to see it was not just me, at times all I could hear was the old granny character she plays and was worried. Still despite that I enjoyed this and Rose's appearance at the end was a great touch loved it.
            So Partners in Crime gets a big thumbs up from me.

Comment

Gotta say I was worried about Cathrine Taite being in it, mainly because I saw her show and didn't find that funny in the slightest! However I have to say she did do quite well, I thought the part where they were having the conversation without speaking was hilarious, and the whole "A MATE??!!" bit was good too.

Rose

When I saw the back of her head I said, "that's Rose" and it was yay me!

I'm pretty hopeful that this season will be as good as the previous seasons!

Comment

Originally posted by Verona View Post
                Yes glad to see it was not just me, at times all I could hear was the old granny character she plays and was worried. Still despite that I enjoyed this and Rose's appearance at the end was a great touch loved it.
                So Partners in Crime gets a big thumbs up from me.
                I'm waiting for someone (probably the Doctor) to yell "Am I bovvered" at Donna

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                  I love Donna. I didn't the first time I saw the Christmas special, she grew on me the second time I watched it, and here she was brilliant- the scene with the miming, and the suitcases! She's definitely proven herself an excellent companion. And I like that they've gotten the shipping conversation over and done with. Yay!
                  The more I think about this, the more I've come to realise just what I liked about Donna in this ep... aside from the non-shippy thing (I didnt hate the shippiness of the previous 2 companions but if they'd gone that route with athird, it would have been too much). I like that Donna is older and arguably more mature, but what I really like is that she doesn't hero worship the Doctor. Both Rose and Martha were fairly young and inexperienced in life and they got swept away by the magic and mystery of the Doctor - though they may have disagreed with him at times etc, in general they were somewhat in awe of him and just got swept along with him.

Donna, on the other hand, is much more pragmatic. Although she has been looking for the Doctor and is desperate to travel with him, it's the *adventure* she is interested in, not the man. She doesn't put him on a pedestal and she has no qualms about piling her luggage into his arms and expecting him to carry it into the TARDIS for her. She sees him more as an equal and she doesn't romanticise him. And I think that will be an interesting new dynamic.

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                  I'm waiting for someone (probably the Doctor) to yell "Am I bovvered" at Donna
                  I really really doubt they would ever do something that obvious and self-referential. There's in jokes... and then there's just jolting the viewer out of the story altogether...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                    The more I think about this, the more I've come to realise just what I liked about Donna in this ep... aside from the non-shippy thing (I didnt hate the shippiness of the previous 2 companions but if they'd gone that route with athird, it would have been too much). I like that Donna is older and arguably more mature, but what I really like is that she doesn't hero worship the Doctor. Both Rose and Martha were fairly young and inexperienced in life and they got swept away by the magic and mystery of the Doctor - though they may have disagreed with him at times etc, in general they were somewhat in awe of him and just got swept along with him.

Donna, on the other hand, is much more pragmatic. Although she has been looking for the Doctor and is desperate to travel with him, it's the *adventure* she is interested in, not the man. She doesn't put him on a pedestal and she has no qualms about piling her luggage into his arms and expecting him to carry it into the TARDIS for her. She sees him more as an equal and she doesn't romanticise him. And I think that will be an interesting new dynamic.
                    And therein it is. She's desperate to get to the TARDIS because she wants that adventure and she wants it desperately- and that's what I really like about her. In that situation, that's me - and probably a lot of other viewers as well - I can completely identify with what she wants and I want her to find the Doctor! She's not desperate for a Timelord boyfriend (or any man for that matter), just a friend to go travelling with for the adventure itself.

Comment

To be honest, I found the first episode to be a little too silly for my taste. The whole Miss Foster suspended in mid-air after the anti-gravity beam got switched of seemd a little too 'road runner-ish' to me. I prefer serious DW episodes.

I also wish the Adipose didn't look like alien marshmellows either. Should have looked at least a bit scary. But then again, maybe thats just me.

Still not sure about Donna. She was still annoying. Not as annoying as she was in 'The Runaway Bride' though. Too bad she didn't get that sonic pen though.

Overall 5/10 (Could've been better).
                      Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

The constantly missing each other gag went on a little too long and the Adipose were almost TOO cute- or at least too cute to stay cute without having some scary-ass violent quirk to 'em. Still, I liked it. loved Donna although she was coming off a bit heavy on the Sarah Jane "investigating weird ****" vibe. I think it's off to a good start. I know folks are pissy about Catherine Tate, but I still don't think she's going to be a disaster.

Rose at the end was a surprise. I still think bringing her back is a mistake, but at least they kept her appearance this time around as just a shock value thing. I'm avoiding all the spoilers so right now I'm hoping her appearance is an ominous thing or that she's gone darkside, but knowing how much the production staff seems to love her (we STILL aren't allowed to forget her, dammit) I doubt they'd do anything to tarnish her golden image.

Comment

Talking about Sarah Jane... wouldn't it have been hilarious if she'd been running around too, with K9 in tow?
                          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger View Post
                            Talking about Sarah Jane... wouldn't it have been hilarious if she'd been running around too, with K9 in tow?
                            Alas, not so much with K9 in tow... have you seen any of the Sarah Jane Adventures episodes?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Yes, alas. Poor ol' K9. But since I'm dreaming, he can be there can't he?

*pouts*
                              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

*gives Major Clanger a hug*

Of course he can dear.

I must admit, I do wish the dear tin dog would appear more in SJA... I did love him so in classic Who (especially the Key To Time). I would say I look forward to the K9 Adventures boxset coming out with "The Invisible Enemy" in it... but... alas, I fear I will not be able to watch it. Ever since seeing "The Fantastic Voyage" as a child I've had an irrational feeling of horrific nausea come over me whenever in any show there's a "going inside someone's body" theme... Even now, I just can't seem to shake it...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X