Resurrection Ship, Part 1 (211)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
    Unless they pull a Buffy. For those unfamiliar with the Buffyverse (and if you are than shame on you! ) the prophecy was that she would die. And she did...for like 2 minutes and then she was revived. It could be a loophole type thingy like that.
    Thanks for ruining Buffy for me. I'm on the beginning of season 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Battousai the Manslayer
      I think this is relevant.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by rexpop
        I suspect that like most real life stealth planes and ships there are certain things that the ship can do that can cause the ship to show up on radar.

For example if on a stealth plane you open the landing gear doors or the weapons bay it changes the shape of the plane enough that the radar profile changes so that it can start showing up on radar.

I would assume that the same principle would apply to the blackbird and dradis.
        Note that the Blackbird was only noticed after Starbuck transmitted a reply to Apollo. I'm thinking that that broadcast was enough to trip the sensors on both battlestars.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by Battousai the Manslayer
          Shouldn't matter then, the prophecy was fulfilled at the end of Season One.

Anyone else thing that the design of the Ressurection ship was quite odd? It's probably the most precious ship in the Cylon Fleet and the majority of it looks like it's made out of glass.

Comment

“Pegasus” left off with hints of a possible civil war between Cain and Adama, and as the title of the episode indicates, resolving that situation required more than a single episode. I consider that to be another indication of the series’ depth. As Ron Moore continually notes in his podcast commentaries, the episodes almost always run long, because any given situation presents the writes with a ton of character-driven moments worthy of attention.

This episode is a strong “middle chapter”, especially since it centers on character conflict. A civilian leader dying while the fate of the fleet lies in the power struggle between two military commanders? Sounds practically Shakespearian when you come right down to it. And as the episode progresses, the end of the final act is almost a foregone conclusion. That doesn’t make it any less powerful in execution.

There are a ton of moments in this episode that come as a shock. Perhaps the most obvious is Roslin’s advocation of assassination. She’s speaking from a very pragmatic point of view, but that doesn’t make it any less surprising. Roslin is typically so concerned with the preservation of life that it seems out of character for her to advocate killing. At the same time, it makes perfect sense: she sees the issue as a question of fleet survival. If Cain takes control, Roslin suspects what is later revealed to be true: Cain would sacrifice civilian survival for the sake of the “war effort”.

As with “Pegasus”, it’s possible to understand and even agree with Cain’s goals. One might even agree with some of her methods. She correctly identified Adama’s weaknesses as a military commander, many of which were intentional (recall that Adama was originally depicted as a man looking forward to retirement, willing to overlook strict military protocol in many instances). Yet that doesn’t make her treatment of prisoners remotely justifiable, nor does her attitude regarding civilians win many points.

If the episode was simply focused on the conflict between Cain and Adama, it would have been more than sufficient. But there was also the evolution of the relationship between Adama and Roslin. I don’t need them to become lovers; that would be going a bit too far. But I do accept that their struggle since the Cylon attack has given them reason to respect and admire each other, and that shows in several scenes. The bedside scene, however, is one of the best moments of the episode.

I also like the fact that Cain and Adama each choose assassins who are conflicted about following orders. Is Cain’s XO willing to kill Galactica’s command staff, or is he tempted by the thought of serving a more reasonable commander? Will Starbuck, strongly motivated to return to Caprica, still kill the admiral who promises to do just that? The conclusion of the story is fairly obvious, but how the events will play out is far less certain.

I’m still only scratching the surface, which is an indication of how dense the story truly was. The scene with Sharon and Adama, the scenes between Tyrol and Helo, not to mention the growing relationship between Baltar and Gina…all of those scenes advanced plot and character threads that will surely have future implications. This is the kind of episode that begs pages and pages of commentary and consideration. I can’t wait to see how it all plays out!

Comment

Ok this episode was awsome nevertheless. This is my first time posting on the forum and am 17 years old, so please tell me what you think. Also If you stated something like this and I didn't quote you I not trying to offend you in anyway, please forgive me if I do.

Possible spoilers from season 2 episodes 5-11.

Alright heres a theory: I don't think Starbuck is going to kill Cain she respects her to much and is willing to go back to Caprica. But if Cain did leave all those civilian ships to die and killed families (I beleive she did) to get what she wanted.

Because of this I also think that Cain is a cylon because she new imediatly how to get Kara on her side after seeing her stealth photos, this is do to pass episode that the cylons (Simon Leoban, Sharon) were and are the only things that can read her emotions no one else. Also a large portion of what happened to Kara when she was captured by the cylons that is a large portion but mostly Kara wants to return to kill the cylons because of the FARMS and of her freinds that are trapped down there.

The captive number six wants to die and is giving away all the information about the reserrection ship from the photos. Now I believe that the ship is only filled with "six's" I thought I saw her model only not Sheron model where I read earlier. (forgive for the non quote can't remember where I read it)
              Now to me that means that there are a total of 12 reserrection ships.

And if anyone is going to kill Admral Cain, its going to be "number six" I don't no why I believe that but my gut is telling me, but it would be intersetting if six did because of what I stated above with Cain being a cylon, we would have cylon vs. cylon and that would sweet, don't know where that would lead in the future but it leave a lot of windows open.

possible spoilers end.

My thought were all over the place so if you understood thank you. Look forward to your possitive or negative response. Also happy to be here.

Comment

This whole person_X could be a cylon thing is starting to piss me off. Seriously I've heard everyone on the show called a cylon by you people. *mod snip*
                Last edited by kiwigater; 08 January 2006, 11:28 AM. Reason: Respect for your fellow posters please :)

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
                  Anyone else thing that the design of the Ressurection ship was quite odd? It's probably the most precious ship in the Cylon Fleet and the majority of it looks like it's made out of glass.
                  Given that its supposed to be part of their religion it looked more like a church or cathedral rather than a battleship, and so form would win out over function. All of which worked for me.

Comment

Given that its supposed to be part of their religion it looked more like a church or cathedral rather than a battleship, and so form would win out over function. All of which worked for me.
                    I also thought resebled a church or cathedral, but thought it was a very cool design, esspecialy how large it is.

Comment

I think a lot of its form could be seen as function, the array of similar structures looks like it's intended to maximize surface area, which would make good sense if it's a consciousness receiving and transmitting antenna.

The large transparent windows, though, are questionable, I think they are more of a visual device in the show to allow Starbuck to discover the dormant bodies without slowing the pace of the show. I would have been equally impressed, though, if the images she'd taken included infrared scans, picking up the heat signatures of the cylon bodies.

Comment

Hi All Just a friendly reminder that EVERYONE is entitled to their own opinion about how or why the plots or characters are doing OR going in any certain direction.

If you don't agree with what one person feels is a valid point the you are free to debate that as long as it is respectful. And as always sometimes it is best to just agree to disagree if you can't find a common ground. In the end though every person is allowed to think what they want AND voice a thought or opinion about the episode as long as it stays within the Forum guidelines

TameFarrar
                        GateWorld Moderator
                        Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
                          Seven more days Hatch, seven long days.

IMO, I don't think Fisk will carry out the order. I don't think Kara will either.
                          Hello:
                          I do so agree with you!!! I'd say THIS week will be even longer than last week!!
                          We could click our heels & say "There's No Place Like Home" but then maybe we'd wind up in 1930's Kansas & since there was'nt TV then, I think I'll stay here. I agree with you on XO Fisk. Kara, I feel that prehaps she is not that person. Remember when Zarek had hostages & Starbuck had a bead on Zarek, [who also had her CAG hostage] she FROZE & did'nt take the shot. Killing Cylons in air combat is one thing, but I think she's squeamish about killing people. There is also the oppurtuinty-I think Cain will keep her on a short leash. She knows Starbuck is in Adama's inner circle.

COME ON FRIDAY
                          Last edited by USA1290; 10 January 2006, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire:
                            Was anyone else reminded of a teacher reprimanding two bad students when Roslin was talking to Cain and Adama on Colonial One? Makes sense though, considering Roslin's past occupation. So funny to see two commanders of battlestars practically pouting in their chairs,...
                            hadn't thought of it *that* way... great comment!

glad to see Laura Roslin not holding back (and humoring herself about her health situation, too: coming back as a certain blonde). She has nothing to lose and everything to gain -if she survives her cancer ordeal.

One of the nice touches (of *realism* too) was when Adama visited Roslin during one of her sicky moments (tucked in under a blanket, possibly running a fever and feeling lousy). But her advice to him was amazing (to keep especially him alive!), considering he had her locked up before for treason.
                            Originally posted by Skydiver:
                            ...she defends the civilians of the fleet like a lioness would her cubs. and cain is a threat to those civilians.
                            murderous {Admiral} Cain... an appropriate name, sounds very biblical even if the gender is reversed from the original Cain and Able Bible story.

Originally posted by keshou:
                            *Baltar/Gina interaction was also compelling... Have to give Tricia Helfer credit. I thought she was just a tall blond model/turned actress with a great body. And she certainly has the great body -- quite evident last night - but she's also showing some real range playing Gina.
                            Never underestimate the (emotional strength and) power of a woman even if she has a well endowed (voluptuous) body. I still disagree with the exploitation (nekked on the bed) of female actresses, but that's TPTB and her choice. Seeing her bare back full of deep cut marks made a more intense scene, even if it was more disturbing to see (because of what it implied).

Lee seems to be tolerating his humility (from Cain demoting him), even if it is a natural part of his personality... It appears that he helped Starbuck get past her brain-burn moment to plot the upcoming attack against the cylons. Lee might never get the credit, unless he and Kara are safely returned to the Galactica. Considering Cain's current reputation for sticking to the rules, she might never accept his role in the whole scenario, unless it saves Cain's own U-know-what, which seems unlikely... especially if (as speculation believes) Gina takes Cain out.

Potential Score for Gina! It'd be fitting for Gina to shoot Cain, considering their current (hateful) *relationship*. Yes, the green cuff or whatever it was (in the preview commercials), sort of clues in on the "who-done-it" routine...

Comment

it looks a lot like the air force academy chapel in colorado springs colorado
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                                Here's a thought:... use a stealth boarding party.

It'll be interesting to see if that idea is brought up in the next ep. I have a feeling that the ship is going to bite the dust before anyone could take that chance though.
                                Hello: I was wondering the same myself. I was thinking if they could get onboard & hack into the Cylon mainframe Computer or thru to the Basestar Computers & get information that way. Would'nt that be more useful? Prehaps they could plant thier own virus? Is that possible>I'm not tech-minded & don't know how long it takes to make a virus.

I also wonder if theres a Cylon centurion crew guarding the ship or a small crew & the process is mainly automated? Would a Colonial boarding party suceed?

When Boomer & Kat[?] boarded the Basestar, I don't remember any alarms sounding. A Basestar is different than this ship!! Might be heavily guarded.

Any thoughts?
                                Stephen

Comment

Working...
                                X