Artwork for All - challenges, graphics, tutorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by m&mnm317 View Post
    Well, I managed to find all the fonts I wanted but now Gimp isn't recognizing them and I have yet to figure out why. I'm pretty sure I put them in the right folder but you never know since it's totally different on my HP than it was on my laptop.
    Did you actually install them onto your computer? If not, then open up each individual file (either True Type or Open Type) and click "Install."

Comment

lg:
      Actually, it was quite easy. I went into my fonts folder in Gimp and just copy/pasted my fonts and brushes from Gimp 2.6 into Gimp 2.8.
      Really? I never copied something into Gimp. New fonts are going to the "font"-folder for OpenOffice. They are also appearing in Gimp then ... weird ...

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
      Sig & Avi by Josi
      sigpic
      LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
      I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

RiG:
        YAY! Thank you! Ha! Stolen from the same fandom.
        And about the same guy.

M:
        I actually downloaded it anyways, lol.. I'm now working on reloading a bunch of the fonts I had I want to make a new Grimm art.
        Yay for installing Gimp and YAY! for GrimmArt. More GrimmArt, that's exactly what we need ! (and I'm not so alone anymore)
        But ... I still don't get what you mean with reloading ... what program you use for writing on that computer? I used always any kind of OpenOffice (former StarOffice, which I still have on my old PC). And I know from my first computer that there's a fonts-folder in the system's controls. I never uploaded anything to Gimp, not in the old version (2.6) and not into the new (2.8).

Sig & Avi by Josi
        sigpic
        LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
          Ah, well, I have Gimp on my 9 year old desktop computer (which is running so slow now that I don't even use it - need to remedy that asap!) and the only problems I had with it was that Gimp would freeze on me. I had downloaded tons of fonts, a whole buttload of brushes and a bunch of textures...this never gave my old desktop any problems.Unless that's what caused Gimp to freeze? Well, if you're worried about it then don't download it right now. Do some searches on this, see what others have to say. It's what I do in situations such as this.

I also have Gimp on my laptop. But not the current version (2.8), don't really like it. I'm used to 2.6 so I'm gonna stick with it.

YAY! Thank you! Ha! Stolen from the same fandom.
          Other than the inline text editing, I really like 2.8 and am glad I updated. IMO it takes a little longer to edit text, but it isn't so long that I give up lol. I have lots of fonts and brushes, but most of my textures aren't loaded as I use them more as one would stock images. I haven't had a problem with Gimp freezing since I had one of the old versions (2.4 perhaps?) installed, but updating to 2.6 and now 2.8 hasn't been a problem.
          YAY! But...reloading fonts? Yikes. That's why I didn't upgrade my Gimp to the new version. See, I was afraid I'd lose all the stuff I have on it now and that I'd have to back them up or...something...and then do somthing to put them in the new Gimp. It was all way to confusing to me. Anyways, I'm happy with my Gimp 2.6. Don't really like the in-line text editing the new version has and the saving/exporting or is it convert to jpg then save? Bah! I'll keep the one I have thank you very much.
          I don't upload fonts at all. All my fonts are installed on the computer itself, so they go to whatever folder they want, and I can access them in just about any program, including both Gimp and Microsoft Word. I've never had to back up or transfer font files. And I've never had to with brushes or anything either when I upgrade Gimp. The new versions always have access to anything in a Gimp folder, regardless of the version.
          Since I save the whole thing with all the layers and then save it as a single layer, the 'save as' and then 'export to jpg' don't bother me. It's essentially what I do anyway. My only problem with it is that on my computer it won't tell me what size the file is when I export to jpg, so I essentially have to export it, get into my files, check the kb size, and possible export again to make it smaller. Sometimes I have to do this several times.
          I do however want G'MIC but I've been having trouble downloading it. I downloaded it but i don't know why it's not showing up in Gimp now. Don't know where it is...and it went through the installing phase too. Really loved the plug-in!

EDIT: Apparently I haven't got something(software?) on my laptop that is needed for G'MIC. Something that my 9 year old desktop has? Weird.
          What is this? I don't think I've heard of it...
          Originally posted by ladygris View Post
          Not in Gimp. The brushes have to be in a folder within the Gimp programming.
          Did you actually install them onto your computer? If not, then open up each individual file (either True Type or Open Type) and click "Install."
          Originally posted by Hyndara71 View Post
          lg:

Really? I never copied something into Gimp. New fonts are going to the "font"-folder for OpenOffice. They are also appearing in Gimp then ... weird ...
          I was going to say, I do what lg said with installing them. They go to the necessary folder and I don't really have to think about them again lol. I've never had to transfer them or anything, they just show up in most of the programs on my computer that use fonts.
          sigpic
          Sig by Ikorni for Secret Santa

Comment

lg:

The fonts have to be installed onto my computer.....It's brushes that can be copied over.

For fonts, I just install them from my Downloads folder (by opening the zip file and then opening the True/Open type font and clicking install.) For brushes, they have to be extracted from the zip file and/or copied into the appropriate file. When transferring everything from Gimp 2.6 to 2.8, all I did was open my brushes folder in Gimp 2.6, copy everything, and then past over to.....

My Computer-->Local Disk (C: )-->Users-->Admin-->.gimp-2.8-->brushes

Once the .rar or .gbr brush files were in that folder, they were automatically installed into Gimp 2.8. I lost nothing by doing it this way.

Originally posted by TrueRomantic View Post
            Other than the inline text editing, I really like 2.8 and am glad I updated. IMO it takes a little longer to edit text, but it isn't so long that I give up lol. I have lots of fonts and brushes, but most of my textures aren't loaded as I use them more as one would stock images. I haven't had a problem with Gimp freezing since I had one of the old versions (2.4 perhaps?) installed, but updating to 2.6 and now 2.8 hasn't been a problem.

I don't upload fonts at all. All my fonts are installed on the computer itself, so they go to whatever folder they want, and I can access them in just about any program, including both Gimp and Microsoft Word. I've never had to back up or transfer font files. And I've never had to with brushes or anything either when I upgrade Gimp. The new versions always have access to anything in a Gimp folder, regardless of the version.
            Since I save the whole thing with all the layers and then save it as a single layer, the 'save as' and then 'export to jpg' don't bother me. It's essentially what I do anyway. My only problem with it is that on my computer it won't tell me what size the file is when I export to jpg, so I essentially have to export it, get into my files, check the kb size, and possible export again to make it smaller. Sometimes I have to do this several times.

What is this? I don't think I've heard of it...
            I was going to say, I do what lg said with installing them. They go to the necessary folder and I don't really have to think about them again lol. I've never had to transfer them or anything, they just show up in most of the programs on my computer that use fonts.
            I actually love the in-line text editing. Maybe I'm just weird.

The Save As/Export issue is one that does get on my nerves a bit, but I do like it. That way, I don't accidentally save a .xcf file as .jpg or the other way around.

Comment

Great entries everyone!
              Icon by AceofHadeon Sig by TrueRomantic

sigpic

Comment

Good morning everyone!

RiG:

And about the same guy.
                Oh my

I don't upload fonts at all. *All my fonts are installed on the computer itself, so they go to whatever folder they want, and I can access them in just about any program, including both Gimp and Microsoft Word. *I've never had to back up or transfer font files. *And I've never had to with brushes or anything either when I upgrade Gimp. *The new versions always have access to anything in a Gimp folder, regardless of the version.
                I see. I don't upload fonts either...I download them. From the internet. When I said "reload" I meant downloading them again, but I think you know that already. But, yes, when I download fonts they automatically show up in every program that uses fonts. Wish there was a way to remove fonts from Gimp.

Since I save the whole thing with all the layers and then save it as a single layer, the 'save as' and then 'export to jpg' don't bother me. *It's essentially what I do anyway. *My only problem with it is that on my computer it won't tell me what size the file is when I export to jpg, so I essentially have to export it, get into my files, check the kb size, and possible export again to make it smaller. *Sometimes I have to do this several times.
                Yeah, well, that would still bother me. It would bother me six ways from Sunday. I'm so used to 2.6 and the way it works that I'm gonna stick with it. The only thing I like about 2.8 is that it comes with more brushes than 2.6. Splatter brushes. I found a Gimp tut on YT that used one of those brushes so I had to ditch the idea to try that tut. That's how I learned about 2.8 actually.
                Last edited by RodneyIsGodney; 16 October 2012, 06:42 AM.
                sigpic
                Sig by ME.

Comment

See, but I didn't have to do that on my laptop.. I could simply extract them to Gimp and be good if I wanted to.. And
                  Spoiler:
                  they don't give me the option to install them Am I doing something wrong??

Edit: I somehow only have "evaluation copies" which I'm not sure how that is because I didn't have this problem before.. Time to go back to Dafont and see what's going on

sigpic
                  Coming January 2017

Comment

See, but I didn't have to do that on my laptop.. I could simply extract them to Gimp and be good if I wanted to.. And
                    Spoiler:

Edit: I somehow only have "evaluation copies" which I'm not sure how that is because I didn't have this problem before.. Time to go back to Dafont and see what's going on
                    m&mnm… Sorry to hear you are having so many problems with this. I know it can be frustrating.

Don't know if you still need help...
                    Spoiler:
                    I don't install them either, just extracting them to the gimp folder will work except that most extracting programs/unzip programs create a separate folder with the extracted files in them. Gimp might not like having separate folders in the gimp font folder. When you go into the gimp folder My Computer-->Local Disk (C: )-->Users-->Admin-->.gimp-2.8-->fonts do you see them as files or are they in folders?

Once I download them from a website I typically have to unzip them. Once they have unzipped into a new folder I can copy the font and paste it into my font folder in gimp. My Computer-->Local Disk (C: )-->Users-->Admin-->.gimp-2.8-->fonts

You could skip the cut and paste part and just right click on the font and pick install from the pull down menu and it should install into your font menu on the computer and be available for all programs to use.

Once in the gimp program again, you will also have to hit the refresh button (looks like two arrows that form a circle) on your font panel so that it pulls into the program all of the new fonts installed or pasted.

I typically use the copy/paste mode because I really only want the fonts for my gimp program. If I decide later for some odd reason that I want them in word or another program on my computer than all I have to do is go into that font folder in gimp and right click and tell it to install at that time.

I just download too many fonts to really want them cluttering up word when I’m looking for a particular (mundane) font.

Edit: I didn't know you could download evaluation copies... hope that is all it is for you.
                    sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

When I go to Dafont, or any other font site, all I do is click on dowload. Google Chrome gives me these options: Open, Show in folder, Always open files of this type - I click on Open, then I doubleclick on the font file - not the "read me" file - this opens a box that shows the font in various sizes and at the top is the option to Install. I click that and I'm golden.

@bailey: I never knew it was possible to extract fonts to the Gimp fonts folder. Okay, just checked...I don't have a Gimp fonts folder. Think it's because of the version of Gimp I have.
                      sigpic
                      Sig by ME.

Comment

@bailey: I never knew it was possible to extract fonts to the Gimp fonts folder. Okay, just checked...I don't have a Gimp fonts folder. Think it's because of the version of Gimp I have.
                        I downloaded my first Gimp as 2.6 and now have 2.8... so maybe it was something with the newer programs. I remember Copter telling me that she didn't have that folder either... I should ask her what version she has... curiosity has me now.

The one thing I wish is that Gimp had the option to only read fonts from that Gimp file folder. I'd love to remove all of the fonts that I didn't download... the ones that come with Word and other programs that have downloaded into the computer's main font folder. The only way I can see to have them not appear in the list of fonts when I'm using Gimp is to remove them from the actual main computer font folder, which I don't want to do.
                        Last edited by bailey1ak; 16 October 2012, 08:32 AM. Reason: grammer
                        sigpic

Comment

For some reason this challenge has been giving me a lot of trouble. Here's my first entry, hopefully not my only

sigpic

Comment

The fonts have to be installed onto my computer.....It's brushes that can be copied over.

For fonts, I just install them from my Downloads folder (by opening the zip file and then opening the True/Open type font and clicking install.) For brushes, they have to be extracted from the zip file and/or copied into the appropriate file. When transferring everything from Gimp 2.6 to 2.8, all I did was open my brushes folder in Gimp 2.6, copy everything, and then past over to.....

My Computer-->Local Disk (C: )-->Users-->Admin-->.gimp-2.8-->brushes

Once the .rar or .gbr brush files were in that folder, they were automatically installed into Gimp 2.8. I lost nothing by doing it this way.

I actually love the in-line text editing. Maybe I'm just weird.

The Save As/Export issue is one that does get on my nerves a bit, but I do like it. That way, I don't accidentally save a .xcf file as .jpg or the other way around.
                            I install the same way you do, but I don't think I had to transfer any of the fonts to a different folder. They just were there. Like you, I think all I had to transfer were the brushes. Which, now that I think about it, I'm not sure I even did after upgrading to 2.8 lol. Now, if I get a new computer I'll have to either transfer or redownload fonts, but that's a different issue lol.

See, I like the idea of the new text editing, but it usually means extra steps in the long run for me. I've gotten to were it's tolerable, but it still annoys me. I don't like that I have to highlight it all to change things, and that not all my text edit options are in the screen box, but rather still over on the left with my other stuff.

I like the exporting for much the same reason you do (in previous versions I had to save twice anyway in order to have the .xcf and the .jpg file), but like I said, I hate that it doesn't tell me kb size withouth exporting and going into my folders. I never had to do that before, it just told me in the save process if I asked for a preview.
                            Good morning everyone!

Oh my

I see. I don't upload fonts either...I download them. From the internet. When I said "reload" I meant downloading them again, but I think you know that already. But, yes, when I download fonts they automatically show up in every program that uses fonts. Wish there was a way to remove fonts from Gimp.
                            Smarta$$. Yes, I meant download. I'd literally just woken up when I typed all that. I was also mostly using one eye because sometime during the night one lense on my glasses got filthy and I couldn't see out of it.

Honestly, I'm fine with having everything in Gimp. I just can't decide if I want to delete some fonts from the whole computer!!!
                            Yeah, well, that would still bother me. It would bother me six ways from Sunday. I'm so used to 2.6 and the way it works that I'm gonna stick with it. The only thing I like about 2.8 is that it comes with more brushes than 2.6. Splatter brushes. I found a Gimp tut on YT that used one of those brushes so I had to ditch the idea to try that tut. That's how I learned about 2.8 actually.
                            LOL!!!!!! For the most part, it isn't much different. But I get what you mean.
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Ikorni for Secret Santa

Comment

Good morning everyone!

Oh my
                              What can I do? This guy is hot *shrugs*

I have to say first I was really pissed about 2.8 and angry that I'd downloaded it. But now ... I wouldn't change back even if it would be possible. 2.8 is at first a little tricky but I think it's better/easier.

BTW, I can QUOTE again! YAY!

Sig & Avi by Josi
                              sigpic

Comment

Smarta$$.

Yes, I meant download. I'd literally just woken up when I typed all that. I was also mostly using one eye because sometime during the night one lense on my glasses got filthy and I couldn't see out of it.
                                I knew you meant that. I'm lucky I was able to be funny this morning considering I'd lost an hours sleep - waking up around 5am to walk the dog and not falling back to sleep until around 6am. You didn't fall asleep in your glasses did you? Because that is weird!

Honestly, I'm fine with having everything in Gimp. I just can't decide if I want to delete some fonts from the whole computer!!!
                                In the words of Jack O'Neill: Oh, how nice for you. God, I loved that line!

LOL!!!!!! For the most part, it isn't much different. But I get what you mean.
                                Okay.

What can I do? This guy is hot *shrugs*
                                Good thing he is too. We all need eye candy on our favorite shows.

I have to say first I was really pissed about 2.8 and angry that I'd downloaded it. But now ... I wouldn't change back even if it would be possible. 2.8 is at first a little tricky but I think it's better/easier.
                                Yeah, still not gonna download it.

BTW, I can QUOTE again! YAY!
                                YAY!
                                sigpic
                                Sig by ME.

Comment

Working...
                                X