This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone explain this?

Is it just me or is the Republican way "do nothing, block everything, even when the other side agrees with you?" How does that mentality produce functional government? For 8 years they did this to the soon to be ex President and even when he agreed with them on issues they still opposed and blocked him.

How does that even work?

Not to say that's the same sort of situation here in Australia when we had a left leaning govt. the conservative opposition party at the time did the same, or similar things. It just frustrates me that political parties see this as how things should be run, and now that we have them running the country again they want "to do nothing or as little as possible" so I don't know how that works..
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
      Can someone explain this?

Is it just me or is the Republican way "do nothing, block everything, even when the other side agrees with you?" How does that mentality produce functional government? For 8 years they did this to the soon to be ex President and even when he agreed with them on issues they still opposed and blocked him.

How does that even work?

Not to say that's the same sort of situation here in Australia when we had a left leaning govt. the conservative opposition party at the time did the same, or similar things. It just frustrates me that political parties see this as how things should be run, and now that we have them running the country again they want "to do nothing or as little as possible" so I don't know how that works..
      What would be an example of one party blocking the other when they agreed on the problem & the solution?

And don't forget, it takes two to tango. Most instances where one party or the other brought things to a standstill could have been resolved by either party backing down. But thanks to media bias in this country, it's usually reported as it being the Republicans who were being obstructionist.

And don't forget that sometimes, a government doing nothing is the best you could hope for.

Comment

Give some examples of Democratic obstructionism.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

You know his list is buried so deep no one will ever be able to read it

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
            You know his list is buried so deep no one will ever be able to read it
            I can read it. I know how to read crazy people
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              That's got more to do with the media becoming sensationalist rather than investigatory. Look at your big left and right leaning news outlets. Most of the content is not actually -news-, but partisan talking heads yelling at each other.
              Too true. Though there are (day time that is) more news shows than 'commentary shows'...

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                Too true. Though there are (day time that is) more news shows than 'commentary shows'...
                The only one I can stand is Anderson Cooper, mainly because he tends to let the panel talk, rather than him.
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                  As far as public speaking/P.R. and such, yes, I've said many times that he's got the worst case of foot in mouth disease I've ever seen.
                  And this is the man you voted to represent an entire nation -- yup, that'll go great.

Although spelling/grammar/etc. is an important consideration, that isn't the sort of editing I would be concerned with.
                  But it adds to a reputation, and his is down to that of a first grader.

Oh, and as far as who to follow on twitter... I don't even have an account. Problem solved.
                  Did you know there's an account -- don't know exactly what it is called -- which reposts Trump's tweets in a adult, presidential manner. The account is clearly created to mock him, but when you read the tweets which hold the exact same content, you realize Trump's an accident waiting to happen.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    Give some examples of Democratic obstructionism.
                    Take almost any instance where there was a threat of a shutdown. It can just as easily be argued that the Democrats, by refusing to accede to GOP demands were the ones causing the shutdown or threat. But that isn't the way the biased media presents it, is it? It takes two sides to argue, if either side backs down, problem solved.

But it's always the Republicans that should back down, right?

Comment

They didn't back down the past 8 years -- blocking left, right and center. Just maybe, if they had worked together, then maybe Obamacare wouldn't have to be on the chopping block. Could have worked something out instead...

Anyhow... anyone seen Womble lately?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        They didn't back down the past 8 years -- blocking left, right and center. Just maybe, if they had worked together, then maybe Obamacare wouldn't have to be on the chopping block. Could have worked something out instead...

Hell even when the Democrats agreed with the Republicans they blocked stuff. Biased media haha.
                        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Obamacare is on the chopping block because it wouldn't've done a cotton-pickin' thing to address the root cause of spiraling health care costs....our health care costs were fairly reasonable until HMO's and health insurers came on the scene and started mucking about in the doctor-patient model by forcibly inserting themselves as a 3rd party in such relations >.<

Comment

Probably on the Common with Orinoco and Uncle Bulgaria
                            sigpic

Comment

I always disappear this time of the year. It's when I take a trip to my family in Europe and keep away from politics because I'm forced to watch Russian TV with mom and her husband (who is an ardent Putin fan, hence the ban on voicing my opinions out loud).
                              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                                I always disappear this time of the year. It's when I take a trip to my family in Europe and keep away from politics because I'm forced to watch Russian TV with mom and her husband (who is an ardent Putin fan, hence the ban on voicing my opinions out loud).
                                Hello there!

Best wishes for the new year!

I know what you're saying -- -- the opposing sides within our family makes it so that politics are a forbidden subject during family gatherings.

Comment

Working...
                                X