This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by puddlejumper747
    That's because a lot of this stuff is not in the Bible. It's mostly from a variety of very-well grounded theological sources. Beause contrary to popular belief, the Bible is not complete. It doesn't contain absolutely everything there is to know about our Christian faith. It only contains the basics. The Bible itself even acknowledges this to some extent...."Now, there are also many other things that Jesus did. But if these were all to be described individually, I do not think the whole world could contain the books that would be written." (John 21:25) Jesus did lots of other things that are not written down in the Bible. The story of St. Michael the Archangel casting Lucifer down out of the heavens is not in the Bible. Neither is the complete teaching of the Blessed Trinity....it's only implied in the Bible. But that's exactly why Christ established His Church on this Earth. We need help understanding the Bible....and our faith....because it can easily become very complex. If we all just decide for ourselves what we want our own personal translation of the Bible to say about our faith, it will ultimately only lead to severe misunderstandings and chaos in the basic foundation of Christ's Church. And that's bad.
    Do those smilelys indicate sarcasim, or do you seriously believe all this BS?

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747
      That's because a lot of this stuff is not in the Bible. It's mostly from a variety of very-well grounded theological sources. Beause contrary to popular belief, the Bible is not complete. It doesn't contain absolutely everything there is to know about our Christian faith. It only contains the basics. The Bible itself even acknowledges this to some extent...."Now, there are also many other things that Jesus did. But if these were all to be described individually, I do not think the whole world could contain the books that would be written." (John 21:25) Jesus did lots of other things that are not written down in the Bible. The story of St. Michael the Archangel casting Lucifer down out of the heavens is not in the Bible. Neither is the complete teaching of the Blessed Trinity....it's only implied in the Bible. But that's exactly why Christ established His Church on this Earth. We need help understanding the Bible....and our faith....because it can easily become very complex. If we all just decide for ourselves what we want our own personal translation of the Bible to say about our faith, it will ultimately only lead to severe misunderstandings and chaos in the basic foundation of Christ's Church. And that's bad.
      Yep, exactly.

Whistler, I know you werent reffering to me, but hey Personally, I dont know how much I believe, but I find it interesting, and i love learnign about religions and myths.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I agree. I'm not a Christian, but I don't think referring to other people's beliefs as "BS" is really necessary. What I believe may sound crazy to another person too. So who am I to call another person's beliefs "BS"? Think about it. We may disagree, but we can do so without insulting each other.

In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
        it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
        It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
        And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Comment

Originally posted by Mobiac
          First off Tel'chak was Goa'uld? Very unlikely since Aztec, Mayan, and Inca cultures shared similar gods such as Quetzelcoatl. Tel'chak whom also went by Tlaloc in Aztec myth possessed a regenerative device more powerful than the Goa'uld sarcophagus. It is instead very likely that Tel'chak (aka Tlaloc) and Quetz are part of the same Crystal Skull Alien (CSA) race; which are possibly the Furlings.
          in the episode Evolution in series 7, selmac talks about tel'chak being a gould and the creator of the first sarcophagus, which he made from the ancient healing device that he found

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeGirl
            I agree. I'm not a Christian, but I don't think referring to other people's beliefs as "BS" is really necessary. What I believe may sound crazy to another person too. So who am I to call another person's beliefs "BS"? Think about it. We may disagree, but we can do so without insulting each other.
            Agreed. I am a Christian, and am not afraid to say it or preach it (tho these days it's getting harder and harder), but I won't say that someone who believes in, say, Buddhism is an idiot. I'll pity 'em (it's almost a requirement for what I believe in), and I don't like the religion, but the person themselves I don't really see a problem with.
            Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
              Agreed. I am a Christian, and am not afraid to say it or preach it (tho these days it's getting harder and harder), but I won't say that someone who believes in, say, Buddhism is an idiot. I'll pity 'em (it's almost a requirement for what I believe in), and I don't like the religion, but the person themselves I don't really see a problem with.
              Yeah, that's one of the problems I've had with christians- how they like to pity and look down on people that don't follow their insane Middle Eastern religion.

No wonder why the Romans started feeding christians to lions!

Comment

There you are! Haven't seen you around lately.
                Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Comment

Hahaha. Yeah. Are you all prepared to be upset and offended?

I SURE HOPE SO!!!

Comment

I've gotten used to being offended. In fact, pretty soon, I know that it will be against the law to speak the name of Christ. But, the Darkness comes before the Dawn, and boy, I can't wait for the sunrise.

Comment

Baaah. That word "Christ" stinks of two of the most culturally destructive groups ever to have walked upon the earth.

1. The Roman Empire/Holy Roman Empire
                      2. Christianity

[Waits for you to ask for an explanation, by which you will then most likely agree with me, but remain faithful to your religion out of pure blind faith.]

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
                        Baaah. That word "Christ" stinks of two of the most culturally destructive groups ever to have walked upon the earth.

1. The Roman Empire/Holy Roman Empire
                        2. Christianity

[Waits for you to ask for an explanation, by which you will then most likely agree with me, but remain faithful to your religion out of pure blind faith.]
                        Oookay. While I am a believing Christian, and love discussing topics like this in person, having discussions about Christianity on an internet bulletin board is a recipe for disaster , because sooner or later (and usually sooner, particularly given such dismissive attitudes towards not only the faith itself but especially anyone who believes in it) such discussions disintegrate into flame wars. I don't know what it is about the internet that does that, but I've seen in several other places and more than once here .

I love discussing philosophy and theology (hey, my current boyfriend is a New Ager who believes in reincarnation ), but I hate flame wars.

So, in the interest of avoiding one, could we please either drop the subject, turn it back towards Stargate, or move it to the Off Topic folder?
                        My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
                        -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
                        -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
                        -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

I don't care.

Comment

Before we abandon this topic, I have a question for aschen: what makes you so sure Daniel's twin is wrong in his beliefs and you're right? Again, I don't share his beliefs. But who can say who's right and who's wrong?

In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
                            it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
                            It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
                            And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Comment

But who can say who's right and who's wrong?
                              *cough*cough*GOD*cough*cough*
                              There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Before we abandon this topic, I have a question for aschen: what makes you so sure Daniel's twin is wrong in his beliefs and you're right? Again, I don't share his beliefs. But who can say who's right and who's wrong?
                                Are you sure you read my comment(s)?

I never said I was right, he was wrong or vice versa.

[Btw, the picture in my signature is Lucifer himself. He is, according to the christian bible, the first heretic and dissident. AKA- my kinda guy.]

Comment

Working...
                                X