This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XToDaZ
    The Goa'uld use Egyptian and Mongol theology, the Asgard use Norse theology and I believe the Ancients to have influenced the Mediterranian (Roman, Greek and mediterranian island cultures)
    And then you have Sokar, who has influenced the devil in Christian religion.

So the influences pretty much go from 500 BC 'til 300 AD. Too bad the board of directors doesn't want to take the risky approach and include them all

Possible other cultures ? Maybe the Furlings influenced Germanic cultures ? The lack of Germanic explanations of that time is perhaps a hole left to explore in the future.
    Norse gods and Germanic gods are the same, I think...

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
      Norse gods and Germanic gods are the same, I think...
      They're closely related, but not exactly the same. Of course, exactly how they're related we're not exactly sure, as the Romans (by and large) Christianized them along with the rest of the Empire. The pre-Roman Germanic peoples didn't write anything down, and the Romans were (by and large) uninterested in recording the sociological and religious practices of the barbarians they conquered (now, if you were someone they considered "civilized," like the Greeks, it was a whole different ball of wax). The norse, on the other hand, remained pagan for several centuries after their kin in Germany were converted; by the time Christianity became widespread, they had reading and writing (the icelandic sagas, etc.). Also, they were converted not by foreign overlords, but by their own people. All of which means that we have a _lot_ better idea of what the pre-Christian Norse gods were like than the German ones. But from what I know (and this is _not_ my area of specialty, so take it with a grain of salt), the two groups were similar to about the same degree the Greek and Roman gods were similar.
      My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
      -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
      -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
      -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
        I realize that ultimately, I'm probably wrong, but aren't the Roman gods just the ancient Greek gods just with different names? I think the only way that the Romans were influenced in the Stargate universe (as has already been mentioned) was the idea of the Ancients being the "builders of roads", or however they put it.
        Yeap. The Romans were not, by and large, a very imaginative people. They knew this, and weren't bothered by it. Their motto was, let other people worry about art, religion, philosophy, etc. Good. Fine. Wonderful. _We'll_ worry about ruling the world. They recognized that the Greeks were great at that kind of stuff, especially, so they took all the good stuff and called it their own. Religion, philosophy, art, all that stuff. Most of the Roman statues that survive today are actually copies of older Greek statues, forex.
        My LiveJournal.

-Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
        -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
          The beautiful always win
          With an avatar like that , are you sure you won on beauty points?
          My LiveJournal.

-Frank A. Clark

-Michel de Saint-Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
            The beautiful always win
            Says the guys with the horns...I don't think so.
            sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by Janus
              S
              P
              O
              I
              L
              E
              R

S
              P
              A
              C
              E

It think the Ancients are 'responsible' for the Roman Gods in SG-Universe.
              For instance, my ancient namesake was an Ancient scientist and the Roman God of New Year.
              *cough* You WISH!

The Ancients DO NOT equal Roman Gods. BS. No evidence what so ever.
              The Goa'uld represent the majority of the Roman Gods.
              The Roman Gods and the Greek Gods were extremely similar ( I would usually use the word "same") They have the same mythology with exception of name changes.

We have a System Lord Cronus. Cronus = Greek God. Cronus = Uranus. Uranus = Roman God.
              (I kno... Titan...)

But regardless, the Roman God behavior was way to similar to Goa'uld customs. They were Very cruel to their humans... just like the Goa'uld.

Comment

*slaps forehead*

Go to Godchecker.com

Romans ripped of the Greek gods, and the Greeks and the Egyptians have some similar gods (Hermes/Mercury-Thoth, Io (not quite a goddess, but you get it)-Hathor). Also, the Chinese and Japanese (along with Korean and other Oriental cultures) are very similar too, consitering they (especially Japan) ripped off China. *sighs* It's all so complicated, so just read up on it.

My Own Little World

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
                101 Ways to Annoy, Harass, Confuse or Generally Scare Lord Voldemort
                "Be nice to nerds;
                one day, you'll end up working for one."
                -Evil Overlord Bill Gates
                Ba'al: I'll never let go, Jack, I'll never let go!
                Jack: *choke* That's my throat, Ba'al.....

Comment

Well, at least I have the pleasure of saying I was right.
                  Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by Ancients Rising
                    Race or Religion and their influences...

Aztec
                    Crystal Skull Aliens: Quetzelcoatl

Babylonian
                    Goa’uld: Marduk

Mayan
                    Goa’uld: Tel’chak
                    First off Tel'chak was Goa'uld? Very unlikely since Aztec, Mayan, and Inca cultures shared similar gods such as Quetzelcoatl. Tel'chak whom also went by Tlaloc in Aztec myth possessed a regenerative device more powerful than the Goa'uld sarcophagus. It is instead very likely that Tel'chak (aka Tlaloc) and Quetz are part of the same Crystal Skull Alien (CSA) race; which are possibly the Furlings.

Second I don’t really remember Marduk ever being mentioned. The only time I remember Babylonian mythology being mention was in the Fire and Water episode: http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s1/112.shtml#images
                    In which the "fish-guy" forces Daniel to tell the myth of the "lady that laid beneath the waves." That turned out to be fish-guy's wife/lover. And if memory serves well Marduk was the son of a sea god, meaning that "fish-guy" might be Marduk. Also don't forget Dagon.

Aside: Is it Tel'chak or just plain Chac?
                    Last edited by Mobiac; 06 December 2004, 12:12 PM.
                    Check your facts.
                    http://www.fact-index.com

Comment

Sorry, but I'd say you're wrong. Tel'chak/Chak (Tel'chak was his Goa'uld name, he was called Chak on earth by his worshippers), was indeed a Goa'uld, who possibly found the Ancient healing device and devised the sarcophogus because of it. And Marduk was indeed mentioned and seen in the episode with the Eye of Tiamat and the ziggurat. Despite what proof you gave above to say that Marduk was actually most likely a fish-dude, Doesn't appear that TPTB paid enough attention to that, or they found something that anulled your proof.
                      Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Comment

I'd like to add that Christianity was influenced by the Goa'uld.

Just think about it. They're the demons that plagued Christianity. The System Lord Baal is derived from the war god Baal whom is later associated as the war demon Baalzebub or Beezlebub. Therefore, the Goa'uld were viewed as demons. A parasite that take controls of your body and forces you to sin seems liek a demon all right.

Comment

That's part of the allure in my house to the show. You can draw some Christian attributes out of it. My father even went so far as to do a small teaching that started with the mark on Teal'c's forehead and how it can actually be drawn in line with a passage in the Bible about marking Christians with the mark of God. Not that God is a System Lord of anything, but you can draw some Christian values from the show.

Comment

I'm surprised that Zipacna was missed out.
                            Hey, if you'd been listening, you'd know that Nintendo's pass through everything.

Comment

Wasn't Egeria a god in Roman mythology?

Comment

Why do we have to say that the Romans "ripped" off the Greeks? Can't we possibly entertain the idea that maybe the Romans, in their infinite travels, saw the Greek Gods and began to believe in them, and as theya dopted the Greek Gods as their own (as the English did with Christ and God) they "translated" the names.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X