Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, see? You know your stuff better than I do. :-) Thanks!

In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
    it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
    It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
    And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeGirl
      Ah, see? You know your stuff better than I do. :-) Thanks!
      You're welcome. Anytime.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
        Wasn't Egeria a god in Roman mythology?
        Originally posted by aschen
        She most certainly was.
        What was Egeria the god of?

Comment

What was Egeria the god of?
          I googled a little and this is what I found: In Roman mythology, Egeria is the goddess of water wells, springs and fountains. There's also a nun by that name who travelled to Israel in 384 A.D. and an asteroid that's called Egeria.

Comment

Originally posted by Filipino
            I dont think Jesus Christ was ever mentioned to be a member of the Ancients or those who Assended though it wouldnt be too hard to believe. I think the Goa'uld Solcar/Satan covers the Christianity end.

I always wondered when SG-1 will showcase Islamic themes on their show.

I remember a old fortune teller (the one that predicted Hitler, 9/11, Kennedy Assasiantion) mentioning the mark of the devil on the forehead and the back or the palm of one's hand. Could be related to the painted/gold symbols on the head.
            You mean Nostradamus? He was a 16th century doctor that wrote prophecies that are continuing to come true. Although it could just be that his writings were just vague enough to be interpreted to fit the situation.

Comment

He wrote in a really strange version of French and often backwards. There are at least a dozen different translations and interpretations of his writings.

As to Islamic themes on SG-1: sure, if you wanna offend about 1/3 of the world's population... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by meimei
                You mean Nostradamus? He was a 16th century doctor that wrote prophecies that are continuing to come true. Although it could just be that his writings were just vague enough to be interpreted to fit the situation.
                Yup Nostradamus. He was a pretty popular search item on Google right after 9/11.

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeGirl
                  As to Islamic themes on SG-1: sure, if you wanna offend about 1/3 of the world's population... ;-)
                  Well SG-1 did tackle Christian themes in an episode. I was wondering how they'd tackle it without offending 1/3 of the population with the idea that Christ/God was a goa'uld. Fortunately the Unas & Sokar fits into the devil's minions & Satan.

Comment

Originally posted by Filipino
                    Well SG-1 did tackle Christian themes in an episode. I was wondering how they'd tackle it without offending 1/3 of the population with the idea that Christ/God was a goa'uld.
                    That episode was in S1, The First Commandment.

Comment

And they handled it very well.
                      Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

That episode was in S1, The First Commandment.
                        Are you sure it was that ep?

I believe it was the season 3 episode "Demons" that first dealt with the small Christian village that was intimidated by Sokar's "demon" Unas.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
                          Are you sure it was that ep?

I believe it was the season 3 episode "Demons" that first dealt with the small Christian village that was intimidated by Sokar's "demon" Unas.
                          You maybe right about that episode that you are describing. But The First Commandment also took a crack Christianity.

Comment

I don't want to get into a big debate, but, in what way? Other than the nuts SG Operative thinking he was God.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Yes, "The First Commandment" was the first epi to involve Christianity and "Demons" was the 2nd.

Of all the major religions in the World, I'm wondering why Janism isn't covered?
                              "It's a blast door"

Comment

I must be going nuts, but I really don't recalle Christianity being in "The First Commandment" other than from SGC influence, ie O'Neill and the Whacked out commander.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X