This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
    I must be going nuts, but I really don't recalle Christianity being in "The First Commandment" other than from SGC influence, ie O'Neill and the Whacked out commander.
    The man had a Bible with him.

Comment

I thought that was from the Unas Gou'ald?
      Two apples get you nothing unless your buying a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by DelTrax1
        I thought that was from the Unas Gou'ald?
        The one with with the Goa'ulded Unas is season 3's Demons. That was the only time SG-1 officially documented a Christian settlement. But it's important to note that the Goa'uld was not playing God, he was playing Satan. And Teal'c said that no Goa'uld could possibly display the benevolence or forgiveness that Jehovah showed in the Bible.

Wonder if O'neill finished listening to those tapes...
        Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
          In Revelation 12:9 it mentions the great dragon,

"that old serpent called the Devil and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world" (King James Version)

"that ancient serpent called the devil or Satan, who leads the whole world astray" (New International Version)

"the original serpent, the one called Devil, and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited world" (New World Translation)

It mentions the same thing at Revelations 20:2, thus leading to the conclusion that the ancient or original serpent was Satan.
          Thank you, KatG! I knew it was mentioned somewhere, 'just couldn't remember where!

Originally posted by coffeegirl
          Thanks for clearing that up. One thing about demons, though: all religions know demons and possession, this isn't something invented by Christianity. Even Satan isn't really a product of that religion. Most theologists believe he "evolved" from Arhiman, a demon / evil god in the Middle East. (Again, correct me if I'm wrong, I read a book about that once, but can't remember all the details)
          I'm pretty sure it mentions in the Bible that Satan was actually an angel that turned against God.

*LTSS.T.A.K.S
          Christian Gaters Unite!|| One show down.... SAVE SGA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by -Jules-
            Thank you, KatG! I knew it was mentioned somewhere, 'just couldn't remember where!

I'm pretty sure it mentions in the Bible that Satan was actually an angel that turned against God.
            Satan WAS supposed to be an Angel named Lucifer (meaning "bringer of light"), he changed his name, for some reason, after he had been cast out of heaven by the angel Micheal.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -Jules-

You're welcome Jules. 8)

As for mentioning that Satan was an angel, there are a couple of references. One is Job 1:6 and 2:1 where it mentions that the sons of God or angels, depending on which translation you use, entered before God and took there station, and that Satan entered with them. In Job 2:1 it even says "and took his station", indicating that he was an angel.

Also Revelation 12:7-9 speaks of a war in heaven between Michael and his angels and the dragon (Satan) and his angels, in which Satan and his angels were defeated and hurled out of heaven.

There's also a reference in Ezekiel 28:13-15 which speaks of the "anointed cherub" who was faultless until unrightiousness was found in him that is often applied to Satan.

Anyway, hope that helps.
              sigpic

Comment

Okay. Let me clear up a few issues. Watch out for blaspheym
                • The Bible is composed of Ancient & Goa'uld interventions.

So, what does this mean.

The Goa'uld intervention is easy to find. When God commands his people in a demanding way. Even a commandment illustrates this point cleary... "Thou shall not have any other Gods before me." which has been clearly found in the SG universe even in variations like "I am your only God." or "Bow before your only God Apophis." or "There will be only one Ra".

The Ancient intervention is harder to find and shows a more compassionate being. It is evident in the NT more than in the OT.

Imagine that you're walking down the street back then, when this white flashing light being appears to you from the sky commanding you with wise words from beyond. What is it? An Angel, most will say. What could it have been? An Ascended Being. *remember glowly jelly?

Jesus may have been an Ancient/Human hybrid. The Ancients at that point (7 B.C.) were already minimized. *An ascended being* could have had relationships with a human girl and Bam. You get child.

2. The Serpent Argument.

The bible does not explicitely state that the serpent is Satan. But it sure is evil.

From the SG-universe, we know that SOkar played Satan. Sokar use to be very powerful as a System Lord at many points and can be associated as the Lord of Evil, the Devil, Satan.

Other System Lords could have interacted less and less with the Christians and thus not have recieved a significant 'bite' in their stories.

The serpent is an archetype of Evil. WHo stole the fruit of immortality? A snake. All that the serpent represents is the Goa'uld Not necesarily Sokar/Satan. The belief in Satan only increased later.

The serpent tempted Man with Power and to be God-like. Man accepted (I guess...) and Goa'uld takes Man as host. muhahahaa...

Okay. Also, as I said before, Christianity viewed the Goa'uld as demons/vampires.

Who lives long lives, glow evil eyes when mad, talk in a non-human, deep demonic voice and are powerhungry and sin often? Demons... (or Vampires.. coz they literally take your life away (take you as a host) and leave a 'bite mark' on your neck 'to get into your body'))

Back then, if you didnt act human.. BURN HIm... ITS A DEMON!

Exactly. Please ask questions. I am very confident in my theory and i would love plotholes to be found!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeGirl
                  I googled a little and this is what I found: In Roman mythology, Egeria is the goddess of water wells, springs and fountains. There's also a nun by that name who travelled to Israel in 384 A.D. and an asteroid that's called Egeria.
                  Does any one know who is the Greek equivant of Egeria?

Comment

Satan WAS supposed to be an Angel named Lucifer (meaning "bringer of light"), he changed his name, for some reason, after he had been cast out of heaven by the angel Micheal.
                    Well, he wasn't with God anymore. He had basically been stripped of all high-angelic status. He could still appear as an angel of light, but only appear to be so. Same with the angels who followed him. They became his demons. If your heart's not with God, it's not a pretty sight.
                    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Comment

Actually as far as I'm aware, ALL fallen angels are devils. We only really hear of Satan however. Demons are quite a different thing.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Um, I don't remember reading that in the Bible.

Comment

Updated

Race or Religion and their influences...

African
                          Goa’uld: Olokun (Yoruba)

Ancient Greeks & Romans
                          Ancients: Unspecified/Atlanteans
                          Goa’uld: Cronus, Bastet, Ares
                          Tok’ra: Egeria

Ancient Semitic Peoples
                          Goa’uld: Baal (Beelzebub)

Assyrian
                          Goa'uld: Tilgath

Aztec
                          Crystal Skull Aliens: Quetzelcoatl

Babylonian
                          Goa’uld: Marduk

Buddhism
                          Ancients: Oma Desala

Celtic
                          Goa’uld: Camulus, Morrighan

Chinese
                          Goa’uld: Lord Yu

Christianity
                          Ancients: Jesus was an Ancient. Touchy subject!
                          Goa’uld: Sokar (Satan), Baal

Egyptians
                          Goa'uld: Amonet, Apophis, Anubis, Bastet, Hathor, Heru’ur (Horace/Horus), Imotehp, Lord Mot, Osiris, Ra (Amun-Re), Sekhmet, Seth, Sokar (Seker)

Hinduism
                          Ancients: Oma Desala
                          Goa’uld: Kali, Nirrti

Islam
                          You can infer an unspecified mix of Judeo-Christian SG influences

Japanese (Shinto)
                          Goa’uld: Amaterasu, Kytano(Imotehp dual personality)

Mayan
                          Goa’uld: Tel’chak, Zipacna

Sikhism
                          You can infer an unspecified mix of Hindu-Buddhist SG influences

Vikings/Norse
                          Asgard: Freyr, Heimdall, Loki, Thor, & unspecified

Unspecified Mythology
                          Goa’uld: Ramius, Thanos

Thanks ColdZero, Mio, DeLancey, greytop

ANCiENTS & TOLKiEN
                          One race to found them all, one race to zap them,
                          One race to guide them all, and in the universe transcend them

ODE TO JOY
                          Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
                          Wir betreten Feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum.

Deine Zauber binden wieder, Was die Mode streng geteilt;
                          Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Comment

OK, guys....please allow me to make just a few teeny-tiny corrections here:
                            Angels are pure created spirits, with a pure intellect, free from sin. Once they choose to make a decision, they really cannot go back and change their minds....because they could never ever really want to. When they actually make a desision, they already know exactly what benefits and losses will inherently follow from that decision, and they can make a permanent choice. We, on the other hand, exist within time....and thus require a certain amount of time to make our ultimate decision in life: to either follow God, or reject him. We can go back and forth, and change our minds as we learn new things, becasue we do not have a pure intellect....it has been darkened by the effects of Original Sin.

Heaven is (quite the exact opposite of Hell) a state of eternal and perfect existence with God. But you cannot enter into Heaven, that state of perfect existence, until you have actually made that final choice in your life to accept and follow God....the choice that you actually make by living your life with the time that has been given to you. So, technically, Lucifer was never really in Heaven. He never really made it into the Beatific Vision of Heaven....where we will actually be able see God for exactly who and what He is (Ultimate Truth), and would never ever actually be able to bring ourselves to even begin to want to choose otherwise.

All of the angels were created by God (while we don't really have a specific name for this place/state of existence), and then were given their choice: to either follow God, or reject Him. Those who chose to follow God immediately entered into Heaven with Him....while the rest of the others (about 1/3) let their pride get in the way, and decided that "they didn't need God". Thus they entered into a new state of eternal and complete seperation from Him....called Hell. Lucifer was the greatest angel which God created....and as others here have already pointed out: his name meant "Bearer of Light". He was given all of the greatest possible gifts, but wasted them completely. He let his enormous pride get in the way, and just could not humble himself in order to choose to follow any other greater being. Lucifer wanted to become the greatest....and ended up becoming the least, with absolutely no one to blame but himself. Any questions???
                            There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Very nice, but what are your sources? I can't remember reading about this in the bible - at least not to this extend and detail. Then again, it's been a while, I might have forgotten a lot. ;-)

In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
                              it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
                              It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
                              And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeGirl
                                I can't remember reading about this in the bible - at least not to this extend and detail.
                                That's because a lot of this stuff is not in the Bible. It's mostly from a variety of very-well grounded theological sources. Beause contrary to popular belief, the Bible is not complete. It doesn't contain absolutely everything there is to know about our Christian faith. It only contains the basics. The Bible itself even acknowledges this to some extent...."Now, there are also many other things that Jesus did. But if these were all to be described individually, I do not think the whole world could contain the books that would be written." (John 21:25) Jesus did lots of other things that are not written down in the Bible. The story of St. Michael the Archangel casting Lucifer down out of the heavens is not in the Bible. Neither is the complete teaching of the Blessed Trinity....it's only implied in the Bible. But that's exactly why Christ established His Church on this Earth. We need help understanding the Bible....and our faith....because it can easily become very complex. If we all just decide for ourselves what we want our own personal translation of the Bible to say about our faith, it will ultimately only lead to severe misunderstandings and chaos in the basic foundation of Christ's Church. And that's bad.
                                There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Working...
                                X