Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, one could say that Rome was part of Greece before they overthrew them while expanding their empire. The Greeks did have a large part in the development in Roman culture before the Romans took over the entire Mediterranean area. So, I suppose it is possible they just translated the names into their Roman names, but a lot of people still accept the fact that they just "ripped off".

Just a little factoid.
    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Well yeah, Rome stole their art and stuff. That's all Rome ever did though. Invade, destroy and steal.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
        Wasn't Egeria a god in Roman mythology?
        She most certainly was.

Comment

I dont think Jesus Christ was ever mentioned to be a member of the Ancients or those who Assended though it wouldnt be too hard to believe. I think the Goa'uld Solcar/Satan covers the Christianity end.

I always wondered when SG-1 will showcase Islamic themes on their show.

I remember a old fortune teller (the one that predicted Hitler, 9/11, Kennedy Assasiantion) mentioning the mark of the devil on the forehead and the back or the palm of one's hand. Could be related to the painted/gold symbols on the head.

Comment

Fortune tellers, they never write anything solid. Their messages can be interpeted two billion ways. And they are all translated too IIRC.

Oh, his name was Sokar, not Solcar.

Comment

Plus, I don't believe in fortune tellers. IMO, (no offense to anyone) They're bogus. They're dabbling in the occult (yes, the occult) and it's gonna come back to haunt them if they don't repent.
              Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
                That's part of the allure in my house to the show. You can draw some Christian attributes out of it. My father even went so far as to do a small teaching that started with the mark on Teal'c's forehead and how it can actually be drawn in line with a passage in the Bible about marking Christians with the mark of God. Not that God is a System Lord of anything, but you can draw some Christian values from the show.
                Yeah, it's kind of the same in my home and with most of my friends. And don't forget that God turned Satan into a serpent in the garden of Eden. Goa'uld = snakes! ...evil little buggers...

*LTSS.T.A.K.S
                Christian Gaters Unite!|| One show down.... SAVE SGA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by -Jules-
                  Yeah, it's kind of the same in my home and with most of my friends. And don't forget that God turned Satan into a serpent in the garden of Eden. Goa'uld = snakes! ...evil little buggers...
                  Actually, Satan isn't even mentioned in the story of Eden. It was the snake itself who did what it did. Of course, I could have an inaccurate translation. Anyone who can tell us more about that?

In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
                  it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
                  It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
                  And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                    Fortune tellers, they never write anything solid. Their messages can be interpeted two billion ways. And they are all translated too IIRC.

Before I continue can I mention details from episodes not yet aired in the US?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
                      Plus, I don't believe in fortune tellers. IMO, (no offense to anyone) They're bogus. They're dabbling in the occult (yes, the occult) and it's gonna come back to haunt them if they don't repent.
                      Guys guys ummm I'm putting the fortune tellers in context of the SG universe. That's all. Almost all societies had seers/fortune tellers/prophets in their respective religion/cults.

Comment

Originally posted by Filipino
                        Before I continue can I mention details from episodes not yet aired in the US?
                        Sure, just put [ SPOILER ] in front and [ / SPOILER ] behind the stuff that could be considered a spoiler. Without the spaces.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs

Spoiler:
                          This week's episode of SG-1 has Maybourne has a prophet/fortune teller. There was one episode in Season 5 or 6 that has a prophesy to be fulfilled. True that it can be so general to be valid at anyone's point of view but for the purposes of SG-1/Atlantis they appear to be very accurate.

Thanks for the correction to aAnubiSs and the spoiler tags to CoffeeGirl.

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeGirl
                            Actually, Satan isn't even mentioned in the story of Eden. It was the snake itself who did what it did. Of course, I could have an inaccurate translation. Anyone who can tell us more about that?
                            actually, you're right. It doesn't mention the name Satan or the Devil when they were tempted or got banished from the garden. But how many snakes have you seen that can talk??? ...other than the Goa'uld, of course. But that's what I mean. The Goa'uld posses or occupy peoples bodys kind of like all the demon possesed people mentioned in the Bible. *shrug* I didn't want to make this a debate, 'just posting my oppinion.

*LTSS.T.A.K.S
                            Christian Gaters Unite!|| One show down.... SAVE SGA!!!

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up. One thing about demons, though: all religions know demons and possession, this isn't something invented by Christianity. Even Satan isn't really a product of that religion. Most theologists believe he "evolved" from Arhiman, a demon / evil god in the Middle East. (Again, correct me if I'm wrong, I read a book about that once, but can't remember all the details)

I usually don't worry too much about other religions' demons and devils, so maybe I mix up some facts. But I do remember stuff from my time as a christian, so I tend to get caught up in those kinds of discussions. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeGirl
                                In Revelation 12:9 it mentions the great dragon,

"that old serpent called the Devil and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world" (King James Version)

"that ancient serpent called the devil or Satan, who leads the whole world astray" (New International Version)

"the original serpent, the one called Devil, and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited world" (New World Translation)

It mentions the same thing at Revelations 20:2, thus leading to the conclusion that the ancient or original serpent was Satan.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X