Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North and South (Novel and BBC Adaptation)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My sympathies are entirely with Thornton...

'No one loves me,--no one cares for me, but you, mother.'

*Sniff* *Sob*
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I bet when that was shown in the UK, millions of women cried "But we love you!"

One thing I thought was interesting in the last episode was when Fanny came into crow about Watson's speculation and after she leaves, he says to Hannah, "It was just be you and I again." Which begs the question, where was Fanny during their times of hardship?

Comment

She was probably sent off to live with rellies... which might explain why she isn't so "dedicated" to the family business. I suspect that she hasn't really lived the hard life that mother and son have had to.
        Last edited by Easter Lily; 22 May 2005, 01:52 AM. Reason: Argghh... grammar...
        sigpic
        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Yes, I think so. Probably someone who took her in but wouldn't take in them all.

Comment

Will you be watching it again tonight on telly...?

That whole dialogue between mother and son is really so well done... Whatever else I think of Battleaxe Thornton, I can't help but admire her loyalty to her son...
            "I hate her"
            Sinead Cusack is fabulous in the role...

There is no employee whumping in the book, right? Wonder why they did it in the show... to give him more of a darkside, maybe?
            sigpic

Comment

Yes, definitely watching it, despite having the DVD. Ah, obsessed...

She's an archetypical mother. Fiercely protective, proud, worried. I like her a lot. It's funny that Sinead Cusack was cast because she's so smiley.

In the audio commentary, they say that in the book there's no real reason for Margaret to hate him so much except that he's from the north. There's no reason for her to take up with the workers against him. Making him ambiguous and apparently brutal, does that easily. Plus, in the book she never goes into the mill. From our POV, she should do that so she can see what it's like.

Comment

Just thought I'd drop in, now theres 4 of us in here
                Better go its starting

JANICE: Dr. Bob, you've given this hospital a bad name.
                DR BOB: You're right. Fred is a terrible name for a hospital. I'll give it a better name. How 'bout Eunice?

Comment

There must be others as well... lurking...

Ah...
                  "I hope you realise that any foolish passion for you on my part is entirely over... I'm looking to the future"

Sniff...
                  sigpic

Comment

We're not doing all the looking. Mind you, a lot of those views might have just been Imo swooning.

I know, poor dear boy. He sounded so hurt.

"What a scowl that man has."

Comment

I have to say the brother was pretty nice looking to

JANICE: Dr. Bob, you've given this hospital a bad name.
                      DR BOB: You're right. Fred is a terrible name for a hospital. I'll give it a better name. How 'bout Eunice?

Comment

Yes... Rupert Evans... He was in Hellboy... he's very nice looking... But not in the same league of tallness... My main motivation for watching Hellboy actually...

Feeling very shallow right now from all this male tastiness...
                        sigpic

Comment

Cute, but there was no brood factor. He just looked sulky and spoilt.

Comment

Well, I hope this satisfies your brooding requirements...

sigpic

Comment

Please, I've just reworked the sig...

Comment

They can always be filed away and used at a later date...
                                Observe how the viewing count went up by leaps and bounds with the posting of pictures...

Nothing like thunking a creature who knows how to brood, smoulder and look angsty...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X