Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North and South (Novel and BBC Adaptation)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same here... Too much angst for me...
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

T of WH was very sensitively done by the BBC. If you ever get the chance to view this series I think you would enjoy it. The blurb on the back says ... "Intensely shocking for both its passion and frank treatment of women in marriage when it was first published in 1848, Anne Bronte's brilliant but neglected novel of love and triumph over adversity is wonderfully brought to life in this magnificent new BBC production. "
      Not too much angst or sighing but probably one every girl wishing to marry a rich man should see.

Comment

Have just had a browse on C19 site. Probably a bit too scary for me, but it is good to see the accolades going to RA. He deserves it but I think it was a great production due to a team effort by everyone.
        The music is stunning. It's a pity they are not going to release a CD.

Comment

I loved the music. They released one for P&P and the music for N&S is far superior. Have you watched the extras on the DVD? The audio commentaries are very good, particularly on the production and how they put it together, although it's disappointing that they only did two of the episodes.

Comment

Hi All! Newbie here.

Have just got into N&S. Bought the DVD, am dying of impatience for the novel to be available. Suppliers says it's not out until mid-July in Melbourne and I'm no. 16 on the library waiting list! I suppose I can read it online, but it goes against my bookish sense...devoted bookworm since preppie days.

I haven't read all the posts, so I don't know if this is repetitive, but doesn't RA remind you of Hugh Jackman? I seriously thought he looked like a HJ's younger twin brother.

DD had excellent onscreen presence, expressed great strength, but falled short during shocked/internally confused scenes...looked like a stunned mullet. From an objective perspective, DD has what they call a 'weak chin' IMO (outline of the mandible not so well defined) lending to a softening of the features which seems contradictory to her ability to effect such a calm temperament. Nevertheless, I really understood Margaret as a character. Will go into 'why' detail in next post...gotta rest...have had shockingly awful day

Toodles!

Comment

Yes, have watched the whole DVD inside out, upside down, in slow motion (in the juicy bits) and fast fowarded (beating scene) to have my fix of N&S. Found the commentary very useful but even better still is the letter on the notice board of C19 (old BBC site) from Sandy Welch on why they did certain things, added bits and left bits out.
              The ABC shops seem to have new batches of the book in store and lots of the DVD's. Bought one yesterday for a friend as I won't lend mine to anyone. Very selfish I know but every now and then need to sneek a look and keep the fix going!!!!

I think MH is fairly close to the description given in the book and DD did an exceptional acting job. I think she was meant to have a strong beauty rather than be pretty. Dixson said as much when she said that her brother Fred was better looking as a child. That was in the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Squibbles
                Hi All! Newbie here.

Have just got into N&S. Bought the DVD, am dying of impatience for the novel to be available. Suppliers says it's not out until mid-July in Melbourne and I'm no. 16 on the library waiting list! I suppose I can read it online, but it goes against my bookish sense...devoted bookworm since preppie days.

I haven't read all the posts, so I don't know if this is repetitive, but doesn't RA remind you of Hugh Jackman? I seriously thought he looked like a HJ's younger twin brother.

DD had excellent onscreen presence, expressed great strength, but falled short during shocked/internally confused scenes...looked like a stunned mullet. From an objective perspective, DD has what they call a 'weak chin' IMO (outline of the mandible not so well defined) lending to a softening of the features which seems contradictory to her ability to effect such a calm temperament. Nevertheless, I really understood Margaret as a character. Will go into 'why' detail in next post...gotta rest...have had shockingly awful day

Toodles!
                Welcome, welcome! Lovely to see that our little corner is growing. I liked Daniela (or is that with a double 'l'?) as Margaret. I thought she did a fine job, although admittedly everyone sees something different. Mind you, everyone without fail seems to agree on RA...

Comment

Working...
                X