Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North and South (Novel and BBC Adaptation)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That middle one is ever so aquiline roman profile.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
      That middle one is ever so aquiline roman profile.
      Isn't it ever...? It's a wonderful moment of resignation...

Poor me... I've got a cough... so stuck at home all day watching N&S...
      I've joined C19... and even posted... looks like they've got some interesting tidbits about N&S...

The more of N&S I watch, the more impressed I am with RA's performance... The way he shifts from hardlined employer to filial son to ardent admirer to disappointed suitor to grieving friend is beautiful to watch. That rapport that he gradually builds with Higgins is very convincing as well. He really is quite a find.
      sigpic
      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

No N&S so far for me today. I've been up in Melbourne grooming a dog. Malvern's so easy to get to what with Citylink, n all. You're in Melbourne, aren't you? You know, we should get together for a coffee, and Imo as well. Blue will have to have a virtual one from her far off state.

I joined but haven't had a chance to post on C19 yet.

An absolute find. It's remarkable performance. Immensely subtle. I would say that it's all in the eyes but his whole body language changes depending on what role he's playing.

Comment

No... I live in Brisbane... pity about the coffee... well, it's not like I drink the stuff... but will enjoy hot chocolates any o'l time... especially in good company...

So which is your favourite JT/MH moment?
          sigpic
          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Now, why did I think you were in Melbourne??

Fave moment: Hmmm, can I pick two? The proposal scene and the train station scene.

Your fave JT/BT moment?

Comment

Don't worry... I haven't exactly announced it to the world...

Favourite JT/BT moments...
              Post-Proposal traumatic scene and
              Post-Fanny crowing moment

Favourite JT/MH
              Dinner at Thornton's
              Train Station (of course)

I just love the way he looks at her in the teacup scene in Episode One... the nuances are very suggestive...
              sigpic

Comment

Fave JT/BT moment: both of those ones exactly! We are so in sync, and I liked the way you knew that BT was Battleaxe Thornton.

Fingers touching. Much sighing.

Fave NH/JT scene?

Comment

Favourite NH/JT moments...

At Higgins' house "Will you take work with me?"
                  Outside the Mill "Can't pay you over your time."
                  sigpic

Comment

I like outside the mill and "I'm no one's master now."

Comment

Joining back in on the conversation

JT/MH: The train station and there's one scene where they are on the factory floor and there's all the fluff floating between them and then there are intense looks. Very pretty.

NH/JT: The petition scene.

BH/JT: Just the simple scene where she puts her shawl over him when he fell asleep at the desk.

Speaking of the last scene didn't Margaret do that as well, it's nice how they mirror each other.

Comment

I like outside the mill and "I'm no one's master now."
                        I like that scene too but I had to choose...
                        He smiles in it... he smiles! *Sighs*
                        sigpic

Comment

He's actually very smiley throughout it. He always smiles at the kiddies.

Comment

Little Tom is a cutie... love the way he talks/reads...

Mother and son scenes contain some of the best emotional moments in the series... It's a nice way for us to see the softer/vulnerable side of these two apparently tough nuts...
                            I know that Battleaxe says that it isn't in her nature to show affection even if she feels it but with Thornton she does make the exception. Theirs is a lovely dynamic of respect, trust and confidence... two people who care about one another, who really look out for each other.

For the Hales, it is more a father/daughter thing... a very interesting comparison...

I must admit that I didn't like the earlier Margaret, she seems so judgemental and somewhat petulant. It was only when she starts to eat a little humble pie later on that she seems rather more likeable.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                              Little Tom is a cutie... love the way he talks/reads...
                              Yes, but weren't there six kids?

Mother and son scenes contain some of the best emotional moments in the series... It's a nice way for us to see the softer/vulnerable side of these two apparently tough nuts...
                              I know that Battleaxe says that it isn't in her nature to show affection even if she feels it but with Thornton she does make the exception. Theirs is a lovely dynamic of respect, trust and confidence... two people who care about one another, who really look out for each other.
                              I just read the "No one loves me, no one cares for me but you" scene in the book. Surprised to find that it was almost exactly the same. Very powerful.

For the Hales, it is more a father/daughter thing... a very interesting comparison...
                              One thing they say in the commentary is how disfunctional the Hales are as a family. They never talk about anything of significance. Indeed, Mr Hale's only real conversation with his wife is when she's dead. In comparison, to my mind, the relationship between JT and BT is one of love, devotion and trust.

I must admit that I didn't like the earlier Margaret, she seems so judgemental and somewhat petulant. It was only when she starts to eat a little humble pie later on that she seems rather more likeable.
                              And pious, of course, in that irritating "I know better than you because you're a tradesman" way.

Comment

Yes, but weren't there six kids?
                                Including the one in the alley?
                                Did he smile at all of them?

I just read the "No one loves me, no one cares for me but you" scene in the book. Surprised to find that it was almost exactly the same. Very powerful.
                                Here is where the power of the printed page outstrips celluloid... I really like Gaskell's description of how Thornton was feeling and all the other stuff he said... But RA and SC did a wonderful job bringing it to life though... No doubt about that...

One thing they say in the commentary is how disfunctional the Hales are as a family. They never talk about anything of significance. Indeed, Mr Hale's only real conversation with his wife is when she's dead. In comparison, to my mind, the relationship between JT and BT is one of love, devotion and trust.
                                I don't think it's a case of not talking about anything of significance but there isn't that same degree of openess... there's a lot of concealment... Everyone seems to have a misguided sense of overprotectiveness... It's as if they have to protect each other from the realities of life.
                                Life is much harder for the northerners... very brutal, stark... They are more practical about survival and most of them (including, I imagine, the ugly capitalists) have had to work tooth and nail for everything. They don't seem to have much time for fluff. They call a spade, a spade because they don't pretend it's a spoon. The Thorntons have had to deal with the ugly side of life and have come out on the winning side... there's a strong sense of honesty between them because they know that there's no sense in pretending because they have seen life at it's worst.
                                This is something Margaret doesn't understand at first... she doesn't realise that some people are actually rich because they work hard.

The Hales have always led a much simpler life. They haven't had much go wrong until Fred's exile and enjoy all the basic comforts. Unfortunately when they go to a place like Milton... all their simple equations for life don't seem to fit... and it drives them crazy.

And pious, of course, in that irritating "I know better than you because you're a tradesman" way.
                                I liked it when he told her that the only piece of "luck" was having a good mother... it was a good slap to that self-righteous demeanour...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X