No announcement yet.

MacGyver Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's about a guy who works for the pheonix foundation, a do-gooder government sponsored foundation that seems to exist for the sole purpose of helping people out. He use to be a bomb technician in Vietnam and it looks like he has ties to the intelligence community. McGuyvers a resouceful guy, and that's how he solves all his problems. He uses what's around him to create clever ways to outwit his enemies. Sometimes the science behind his inventions is sane, and would work in real life, but late in the show it just seemed like the writers were just making stuff up.

Basically, imagine a happy, well rounded batman without the suit.

Comment

I've never seen it either and I live in US

Comment

Originally posted by Beal
        It's about a guy who works for the pheonix foundation, a do-gooder government sponsored foundation that seems to exist for the sole purpose of helping people out. He use to be a bomb technician in Vietnam and it looks like he has ties to the intelligence community. McGuyvers a resouceful guy, and that's how he solves all his problems. He uses what's around him to create clever ways to outwit his enemies. Sometimes the science behind his inventions is sane, and would work in real life, but late in the show it just seemed like the writers were just making stuff up.

Basically, imagine a happy, well rounded batman without the suit.
        Give Macuyver a paper clip, a rubber band, some white out and a tire, and he'll turn that stuff into a bomb, a gun, a door buster or just about anything required to get him out of the latest sticky situation he's managed to get himself into. A very fun and entertaining series, you can learn some interesting stuff.

Comment

Quote from the very first ep:

Spencer: Don't tell me you know how to make a bomb out of a stick of chewing gum!
          MacGyver: Why, you got some?

gatehorse

lj here if you're interested.

Comment

MacGyver...sigh

sorry...wrong thread!

MacGyver was good...I've only seen a dozen or so episodes and one of the tele-movies, but it's good fun, though if you believe in science, you have to take a leap of faith at least once an episode!

All round good fun

But I'm not paying £50 for each of the DVD box sets!
            sigpic
            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by gatehorse
              Quote from the very first ep:

Spencer: Don't tell me you know how to make a bomb out of a stick of chewing gum!
              MacGyver: Why, you got some?

So it's good ol' witty RDA then...
              srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

Oh and he didn't beleive in violence. But yeah, he'd basically get out of every jam by using the things around him in ways that most people would never imagine (and occasionally ways that are impossible).

The show also lead to the usage of the word Mcguyver has a verb ie to McGuyver something (same as "jury rig" i guess).
                The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

It's defintely worth catching if you see it on TV just to see what you think, it was showing on Bravo in the UK up until a month ago and will probably turn up in future schedules again.

Basically, as has already been said just good clean fun, Mac refuses to carry a gun, frequently apologises if he has to hit a bad guy, draws women like a magnet draws iron filings and never, ever says die even in what looks like the most hopeless situation, he's endlessly inventive and yes, some of those inventions and means of escape are pretty far fetched but hey it's all good.

I love comparing / contrasting Mac & Jack, MacGyver is very much a product of it's time though so be prepared for some very 80s outfits,a lot of stock footage and some very 80's hair, but and the end of the day it's RDA so above all else you know it'll be fun

Comment

i think macgyver was a great show, i didnt see many episodes but i remember seeing the atlantis thing he did

Comment

Originally posted by Rune
                      It's defintely worth catching if you see it on TV just to see what you think, it was showing on Bravo in the UK up until a month ago and will probably turn up in future schedules again.

Basically, as has already been said just good clean fun, Mac refuses to carry a gun, frequently apologises if he has to hit a bad guy, draws women like a magnet draws iron filings and never, ever says die even in what looks like the most hopeless situation, he's endlessly inventive and yes, some of those inventions and means of escape are pretty far fetched but hey it's all good.

I love comparing / contrasting Mac & Jack, MacGyver is very much a product of it's time though so be prepared for some very 80s outfits,a lot of stock footage and some very 80's hair, but and the end of the day it's RDA so above all else you know it'll be fun
                      We only have freeview (never ever had satellite or cable), but I'll watch out for it, sounds very good.

Interesting that RDA went from playing someone who refuses to carry a gun to playing someone who is a "shoot first ask questions later" type.
                      srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                        But I'm not paying £50 for each of the DVD box sets!
                        Where on earth are you paying THAT much?

I paid $31.99 (US) for each season, and i bought 1-3.

Comment

MacGyver was great! I have the theme on my ringtone for my friends on my phone. Friends - MacGyver, Family - A-Team Theme, Work/Other - NFL/Fox Sports Theme

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                            Where on earth are you paying THAT much?

I paid $31.99 (US) for each season, and i bought 1-3.
                            Where indeed? Even the suggested retail price is only $39.99. Amazon is selling each season at just under 30 bucks (I got mine S1 and S2 for $27.29). Shipping inside the US shouldn't add much.

Comment

Originally posted by ibwolf
                              Where indeed? Even the suggested retail price is only $39.99. Amazon is selling each season at just under 30 bucks (I got mine S1 and S2 for $27.29). Shipping inside the US shouldn't add much.
                              I got all my Macguyver seasons from Best Buy (the store). So shipping was "free." So i only really saved about a buck or two from amazon unless you get the "free shipping" option, which isn't always available.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                                I got all my Macguyver seasons from Best Buy (the store). So shipping was "free." So i only really saved about a buck or two from amazon unless you get the "free shipping" option, which isn't always available.
                                Amazon.co.uk are selling season 1, UK region 2, for £37.99 ($67.11). They are also selling the US region 1 version for just £16.48!!!!! The same site is selling a box set of seasons 1 to 3 (region 1 US) for £43.83!

This is a prime example of something we have here called "Rip-off Britain". A lot of stuff is much more expensive here. Quite possibly because everything has 17.5% slapped on it called "Value Added Tax" or VAT. Even domestic fuel bills (gas, electricity) has it.
                                The recommended retail price for MacGyver Season 1 Region 2 is actually £49.99. ($88)

BTW Each SG-1 an SGA season boxset has an RRP of £49.99 or £59.99 depending on the season. At places like amazon and play.com you usually get about £12 off. So for example SG-1 Season 6 is RRP of £59.99 ($106).

BTW £1 is worth $1.76885 as of writing
                                Last edited by srg; 24 October 2005, 06:19 AM.
                                srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

Working...
                                X