No announcement yet.

MacGyver Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV shows on DVD has reported that the below is the box art for the first season.

You can also now preorder the set from Amazon for $27.29. It will be released on January 25, 2005, which fits in with what we already knew.

Comment

http://dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&...=r%3D0%26s%3D1

Includes box art, and dvd details. Along with the release date and price in the US.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
      [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Cool looking box and its not a bad price for the set. I am going to get it when it come out.

Comment

TVShowsOnDVD.com now have a review of the set:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/siterevi...ReleaseID=4169

Comment

I just ordered mine from Amazon. It was cheaper then buying it here where I live.
            "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
            'Eleanor Roosevelt'
            Individuality is freedom lived.
            'Janis Joplin'

Comment

I ordered mine through Amazon.com, with free shipping, $27!! Cheapest full season of DVD's out there!! And the free shipping, which is usually on a slow boat around the world, got here in four days...

I just finished the fourth disc!

Comment

I saw a banner ad for these DVD's. I was really too young to remember MacGuyver much, but hey, it's Richard Dean Anderson, and my parents watched the show... so maybe we'll end up getting them.

...And with a price less than thirty dollars, it might be rather difficult for them to resist!
                [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

It IS very well priced, no doubt about it. Especially since this is a full season. (Some series have been selling the inital half size season for as much as 44 bucks).

I may just be tempted into buying this at some point ...

Comment

Having bought and watched the entire first season, I figured a quick review was in order.

Lets start with the technical bits.

Video

The image is 4:3 as it should be. This is almost 20 years old and it shows. Still, even watching on my 52" screen, the image was never distractingly bad. Some dust and occasional grain, but very watchable. Some stock shots are of much lower quality, normally this isn't a distraction as they are mostly used for transitions, to establish a location. The occasional use of a stock shot as 'part of the action' can be jolting because it is so obviously inserted.

Overall though I'd say that the video is OK.

Audio

Not much to say. Its a mono soundtrack. I didn't hear any problems, but it didn't impress me either. The dialog is clear, which is about all we can ask for on a mono track.

Extras

None. I knew this ahead of time, of course, but it is still a little disappointing. Even a short featurette using archive footage and interviews would have helped.

The show

I used to watch MacGuyver all the time when it aired here in Iceland (probably a year or three behind the states) and I remember loving the show.

When rewatching the series I didn't recall much of it though (no reruns), only the occasional scene, so it was almost like watching it for the first time.

Some of the episodes are quite bad. Flame's End in particular was horribly written and so full of plot holes that you could have flown a 747 through them.

A lot of the episodes felt a bit cheesy. I'm frankly not sure I would have kept on watching the show if it hadn't been for the nostalgia feeling. Nevertheless, ignoring the technical plot holes, there were several very enjoyable episodes in the bunch.

Watching the series gave me a new appreciation for RDA as an actor. Despite the fact that he plays MacGuyver with almost the exact same attitude as Jack O'Neill, he somehow manages to convince you that MacGuyver is super smart, while Jack always feels more 'street smart' (so to speak). They really feel like two very different characters, despite having almost the exact same mannerisms. Nice work RDA.

With a price tag of only 28 bucks (Amazon.com) MacGuyver is worth buying, and I'll be ordering season 2 when it comes out in June. I would however not recommend this series for anyone who didn't watch it regularly.

Notable sci-fi guest stars on season 1. Nana Visitor (DS9's Maj. Kira) shows up in episode 8, Hellfire. Peter Jurasik (B5's Londo) is almost unrecognizable in episode 6, Trumbo's World and John de Lancie (Star Trek's Q) shows up in episode 20, The Escape.

Comment

From Total DVD Online:

http://www.totaldvd.net/cgi-bin/displaynews.php?id=7948

Region 1 DVD news Posted Wednesday, May 11th, 2005
                      Macgyver Season Two

Paramount Pictures has announced the release of MacGyver: The
                      Complete Second Season on R1 DVD from the 7th June.

MacGyver (Richard Dean Anderson) is a modern-day "knight-errant," a
                      person people turn to in a crisis. He has a penchant for arriving on
                      the scene in the eleventh hour, when the clock is ticking ominously
                      and innocent lives often are at stake.

The disc will feature a 1.33:1 transfer and Dolby Digital 1.0 sound.
                      Further details TBC.

Copyright © 2000-2005 Highbury - WV

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
                      http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
                      http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Fans of Joe Flanigan
                      http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/fansofjoeflanigan/
                      Last edited by morjana; 10 July 2007, 10:29 AM.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Woohoo! But no mention of extras yet?

Comment

I'm with you!....I loved MacGyver, I never really watched it to much when it was on air originally. But living here in California, we get alot of TV networks that showed the re-runs. TV Land network is currently showing episodes of all the seasons.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                            I'm with you!....I loved MacGyver, I never really watched it to much when it was on air originally. But living here in California, we get alot of TV networks that showed the re-runs. TV Land network is currently showing episodes of all the seasons.

Yes, but the syndicated reruns have been edited to allow for more commercial time. You're missing from three to five minutes of episode time for more commercials. TV Land at least is doing a different editing job than WGN used -- WGN just excised the episode's teaser or epilog, TV Land is making more judicious editing choices.

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

From TV Shows On DVD:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3488

MacGyver - 3rd Season's Sept. Street Date & Box Art
                              Posted by David Lambert
                              6/02/2005

September 6th marks the release of MacGyver - The Complete 3rd Season. 942 minutes of action and adventure are spread across 5 DVDs that will sell for around $30 (around C$40 in Canada).

Copyright 2001-2005 TVShowsOnDVD.com

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Hi

This may seem a very odd question, escpecially to you americans as this show seems to be referenced about, as RDA was in it.

Personally, I've never seen MacGyver and before Stargate SG-1 I'd never heard of Richard Dean Anderson, so I was thinking "Who's this?"

What was it about, and why was it sooooo good?

We've only had the normal four UK terestrial TV channels untill very very recently (Freeview) so I don't know if it was shown here or maybe I was just a little too young.
                                srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

Working...
                                X