General Ship ( Relationship) Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
    Glad to see this thread back from the dead. I like ships and I like good SL. I do lurk in the Anti threads I like to see the other side. Why I like ships in sci-fi is because it is not the focus of the show just an added bonus.
    I like to lurk there too! I don't know why...but seeing what they have to say is something I like to do...anti-shippers and shippers both have great arguments as to why they feel the way that they do. And sometimes I just have to see what the opposition says

Comment

Pulling this thread back from the land of forgotten,
      I find it interesting that there is a of passion behind shipping or non-shipping. It means the show exacts strong feelings from the fans...that is a good show! I AM A shipper!!!! I like some ships from sg1 and some from sga. I think it adds fun for me, because many of the ships are not overt. just seeing if there is a "wink and a nod" from TPTB can get a squeeeee!

Comment

I think the was a girl who said this in another thread Ship is like ice cream the show itself is the ice cream ship is the chocolate sauce or what ever topping you like. I like toppings with my ice cream but I can eat ice cream without it too ships are an added bonus.
        sigpic
        My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
        poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
          I think the was a girl who said this in another thread Ship is like ice cream the show itself is the ice cream ship is the chocolate sauce or what ever topping you like. I like toppings with my ice cream but I can eat ice cream without it too ships are an added bonus.
          ship is icing on the cake too.

i just enjoy having a couple to ship for. i don't go looking for it, and sometimes, the ship a show is working doesn't work for me, but still, i love cake, but i LOVE the icing!

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

I think the reason some people are such adamant shippers is because they identify with one member of the ship. It's all psychological. I'm not saying that applies to all shippers, though.
            I am an S/J shipper, probably because I identify with Carter a little. But I can't stand fluffy fics where they get married/engaged or have kids (so unrealistic!). I don't mean to offend anyone, but if I see 'they're sooo married!!' one more time I think I'm gonna hurl. They're so NOT married!
            In fact, I love angst. I would like there to be a resolution, a happy one would be nice (NO getting married!), but I'd rather there was tons of angst and them not ending up together than something sickeningly fluffy.
            This is the problem when you have such strong shippers and anti-shippers. You're always gonna disappoint someone. I think they should have resolved it one way or the other at the end of season eight, and then be done with it. With long, drawing out of random tidbits and minor shippy bits, both shippers and anti-shippers get frustrated.
            sigpic
            http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
            http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
              ship is icing on the cake too.

i just enjoy having a couple to ship for. i don't go looking for it, and sometimes, the ship a show is working doesn't work for me, but still, i love cake, but i LOVE the icing!

sally
              Me too I used ice cream because I am from New England and New Englanders love ice cream.
              sigpic
              My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
              poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
                I think the reason some people are such adamant shippers is because they identify with one member of the ship. It's all psychological. I'm not saying that applies to all shippers, though.
                I am an S/J shipper, probably because I identify with Carter a little. But I can't stand fluffy fics where they get married/engaged or have kids (so unrealistic!). I don't mean to offend anyone, but if I see 'they're sooo married!!' one more time I think I'm gonna hurl. They're so NOT married!
                In fact, I love angst. I would like there to be a resolution, a happy one would be nice (NO getting married!), but I'd rather there was tons of angst and them not ending up together than something sickeningly fluffy.
                This is the problem when you have such strong shippers and anti-shippers. You're always gonna disappoint someone. I think they should have resolved it one way or the other at the end of season eight, and then be done with it. With long, drawing out of random tidbits and minor shippy bits, both shippers and anti-shippers get frustrated.
                oh I agree with you I think the only Ship in Star Trek that got resolution that people were not upset with was Be'Lanna and Tom I could be wrong I am not as active in the ST fandom as I am here and now that I think of it I was a Picard and Doc Crusher shipper and they said they were married and divorced in the end if I remember correctly the series finale and it did fit both were strong characters
                sigpic

Comment

then there are the anti-shippers who are anti because they have a crush on one of the members of the ship. They want that person for themselves fantasy-wise and get very possessive. it gets a bit creepy if you ask me.

i like ship, I am married myself so I like a happy ending!

Comment

I don't have a problem with ship per se, but I vehemently dislike on-screen romance.

Firstly, I watch scifi for the scifi, action, adventure etc - if I want to watch tender moments between characters I'll watch a soap.

Secondly, I don't think it's any coincidence that SG ship between regular characters is so often written as happening when the characters are under some external influence (Sam in Broca Divide and Grace, Sheppard in The Long Goodbye and Conversion) - it's because in order to make the ship happen, the characters have to be out of character in order for it to work, because more often than not they have not been established to fit into those sorts of roles.

Thirdly, and most importantly, IMO on-screen romance is entirely unnecessary and even counter-productive. When character relationships are kept platonic on-screen, shippers see whichever pairing they choose to see and non-shippers see platonic relationships. Everybody can be satisfied, nobody need feel alienated. Undoubtedly, the shipper wars will continue until long after the franchise is dead and buried, but the Sheylas, Spankies, Sparkies or whoever (I'm not up on all the names, I'm afraid!) will see their OTP no matter what, as long as romantic relationships aren't made canon. However, as soon as a romance is overt the fandom is divided, not just between non-shippers and shippers, but also between one group of shippers and the others. For every moment that makes one person squee, a whole lot of others are rolling their eyes.

Sure, people who don't like the ship can just switch their TVs off, but is that really what TPTB are aiming for?

Disclaimer: This is, of course, entirely my opinion. I don't expect anyone to agree with me.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                      I don't have a problem with ship per se, but I vehemently dislike on-screen romance.

Firstly, I watch scifi for the scifi, action, adventure etc - if I want to watch tender moments between characters I'll watch a soap.

Secondly, I don't think it's any coincidence that SG ship between regular characters is so often written as happening when the characters are under some external influence (Sam in Broca Divide and Grace, Sheppard in The Long Goodbye and Conversion) - it's because in order to make the ship happen, the characters have to be out of character in order for it to work, because more often than not they have not been established to fit into those sorts of roles.

Thirdly, and most importantly, IMO on-screen romance is entirely unnecessary and even counter-productive. When character relationships are kept platonic on-screen, shippers see whichever pairing they choose to see and non-shippers see platonic relationships. Everybody can be satisfied, nobody need feel alienated. Undoubtedly, the shipper wars will continue until long after the franchise is dead and buried, but the Sheylas, Spankies, Sparkies or whoever (I'm not up on all the names, I'm afraid!) will see their OTP no matter what, as long as romantic relationships aren't made canon. However, as soon as a romance is overt the fandom is divided, not just between non-shippers and shippers, but also between one group of shippers and the others. For every moment that makes one person squee, a whole lot of others are rolling their eyes.

Sure, people who don't like the ship can just switch their TVs off, but is that really what TPTB are aiming for?

Disclaimer: This is, of course, entirely my opinion. I don't expect anyone to agree with me.
                      I agree with you 100%.

FF
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post

I disagree. If you want to make the characters believable as human beings, to make them likable and people you can identify with, you can't erase relationships from their lives.

Gah! I really have that my username is 'shipper hannah' right now.
                        sigpic
                        http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                        http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

I have equal experiences of enjoying onscreen ship and hating it, and I love shipping on threads and through fanfic, so I'd rather there was little to no onscreen ship—an occasional long gaze, super long hug, suspicious touch or cheek-kiss when the scene called for it are fine, especially as they can be taken either way. Full on shippy stuff—well, I tolerate it, and I do enjoy it when I believe in the ship, so I'm not an anti-shipper.

However, I do have problems with the idea of ship. Firstly, because it turns the characters into people who can't have platonic deep relationships—I have very intense but completely platonic relationships in RL, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, and that's usually all I see in the interactions in Stargate (and a lot of other shows). Sure, it's fun to interpret things in a shippy way, and I'll do it gladly if it makes some sense in my mind, but it also destroys the purity of some relationships IMO. And really, sexual attraction is such a one-dimensional emotion, while friendships have so many possibilities—so I tend to interpret things as friendly unless proven otherwise, or just for fun in shippy threads.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                          ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Hi guys

This is a great topic!

I tend to think that if a series writes its character relationships well enough, people generally will support that ship (unless of course the person is opposed to all ship in any circumstances). If one ship is paid attention to (and I don't mean given a lot of screen time) an audience should warm to that ship and empathize with the characters within it. The problem I find with many programs (including Stargate) is that the ships are either too obvious, too random or not followed through. Chemistry between two characters should be apparent before any 'evidence' of ship is seen, and the lack of this is what often makes people go anti (and in some cases, has made me go anti)

I think with Stargate, all of these problems are evident. Now this may sound strange coming from a shipper, but Sam/Jack is a ship that, though I love it, has been written kinda oddly and it comes as no surprise to me that many people are against it. Firstly, there's the regulations, which lend to the unfulfilment of sexual tension. This worked for the show for a while, but after many seasons down the track it seems like an annoying and poor excuse (even though such regs are of course, important.) It annoys the shippers who want to see resolution, and it annoys the antis who know that there never could be any resolution. Also, the ship was fairly prominent in some seasons and completely ignored in others. If more attention had been paid to the portrayal of the ship, this would never have been the case. After 10+ years of Stargate, the fact that its first 'canon' ship has not been resolved is yet another reason for shippers and anti shippers alike to be annoyed. For the shippers, they have hopped along a bandwagon and sat there for 10 years and not gotten to their destination. For the antis, something that should have been lost a long time ago is still flailing in the wind somewhere. For both parties, it's a loose end...and an annoying one.

Now, I know I don't speak for everyone when I say this. I personally don't have a great problem with the lack of confirmation of ship, but that's just me. I always thought that threads was a nice way of tying up the ship.

Hmmm - I don't know if my two cents make any sense at all...but there you have it
                            sigpic

Comment

if a show is about the continuing adventures of humans, then there's going to be ship. it's part of human nature and can't be stopped or ignored. i rather like this part of being a human, and i think other species do too.

isn't a soap opera basically about relationships, with other storylines secondary? i can't see stargate becoming a soap.

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

I disagree. If you want to make the characters believable as human beings, to make them likable and people you can identify with, you can't erase relationships from their lives.

Gah! I really have that my username is 'shipper hannah' right now.
                                I never said that relationships should be erased from their lives - that would make the characters entirely one dimensional. I was talking about on-screen romance. A different kettle of fish altogether
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X