No announcement yet.

Bringing down a 304

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Give an Aurora a ZPM, attach a satellite gun like the one which skewed a hive to the front and let it rip. Dead 304. Unless the captain is smart and keeps his ship moving and avoids the death beam. Not much chance of that though.
    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
      Yep it's true that it's very hard to think of a way to kill it that doesn't require cloaking or surprise in some fashion.

If it's actually expecting you to attack it doing so with just about any of the normal ships in the universe is suicidal, that's how blatantly cheap and unbalanced it is for it's universe.

You can kill it though, you've just got to think about using some of the tech you've already got at your disposal in different ways.

I said in the opening post that you were allowed to combine and mix/match tech from your race to try and come up with a way to kill it and since it doesn't seem that many people have gone in that direction I'll go ahead and get the ball rolling.

I'm going to take a Wraith hive and just modify the darts a little bit. Rather than use them as fighters I'm going to instead strip out all the weapons, controls, most of the fuel and anything related to supporting the pilot and fill all that newly created space with a small Wraith AI core and a lot of the highest yield explosives my civilization can make.

This will have the effect of turning my hive from a not so impressive carrier into a much more worrisome 11km missile boat.

The missiles should have a fairly impressive yield, be fast and intelligent enough to be extremely resistant to interception by railguns or 304s and most importantly enable my hive to attack the 304 from outside of beam range.

As an added bonus since they'll look like ordinary darts the 304 is unlikely to really consider them to be much of a threat at first as they're closing. They're not going to turn tail and run for example. It won't be until several of them smash into the shields and explode with a godawfully huge bang instead of just strafing them that they'll finally understand what's really going on, and I'm hoping that by then it'll be too late for them to recover.

This doesn't require cloaks or surprise and ideally it should use purpose built missile bodies instead of dart hulls to really optimize the design. The Wraith have all the ingredients to make such a weapon system though so it works as per the rules.

what if the artificial inteligence dosent want to be a suicide bomber?

and since its ouside of the beaming range thats pretty far away. whats to stop them from scanning the imcomming fighter and run away into hyperspace?
      STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
        Give an Aurora a ZPM, attach a satellite gun like the one which skewed a hive to the front and let it rip. Dead 304. Unless the captain is smart and keeps his ship moving and avoids the death beam. Not much chance of that though.

it will be all to easy to avoid the now triple the size of an average aurora since that satalite wepon is bigger than one. and you can forget about hyperspace because it proboly wont be able to encompass the ship and the satalite.
        STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
          it will be all to easy to avoid the now triple the size of an average aurora since that satalite wepon is bigger than one. and you can forget about hyperspace because it proboly wont be able to encompass the ship and the satalite.
          Alot of the stuff on the satellite, such as the supporting equipment that allows it to function will be present on an Aurora. All they need is the gun, with a ZPM it will be able to fire much faster. It will cut the 304 to bits.

The satellite was the last line of defence for the Ancients, most of its size as because of those spines which were everywhere. Removing those shrinks it massively, then if you take away the obvious need for engines + life supporting equipment and sensors and it gets even smaller. I'm not saying its going to be a small weapon but I'm sure it could be placed on an Aurora. If you really want to be picky use an Asuran energy beam instead. It will destroy a 304 very easily as well.
          Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

ambush with 30ish hives done

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
              The Lucian Alliance showed how it can be done.
              no, that was for pre-unending 304's.
              you know, the ones that use crap missles and pea-shooter railguns

just ambush with 3 hives. worked on the phoneix.
              Last edited by Cylinder; 23 August 2008, 12:22 PM. Reason: forgot somthing

Comment

Am I the only one who's ever thought of hyperdrive bombs? Create a bomb that has a weak hyperdrive installed in with a power source that has enough energy stored to make a single hyperdrive jump. Then, install in it an A.I program that is programmed to calculate the hyperspace jump so that the ship will come out of hyperspace exactly inside the 304. Then, boom! It's over. Hyperdrives can bypass shields like they can bypass anything because hyperspace is "outside" space, meaning that you can jump out of hyperspace anywhere in space. Sure, installing hyperdrives and an A.I program in each bomb is very expensive, but if you are confronting an enemy with uber shields that wants to genocide you, then cost is secondary. Also, Earth has only 3 of these ships with uber Asgard shields, so you would only need 3 such bombs which is not expensive at all.

Comment

if the 304 is in orbit around a planet just attach a hyperdrive engine to a gate and a sheild like in first strike and then open the gate and send the red beam weapon through the gate with the sheild on then get 2 new replicator ships uncloak and start opening up drones on the 304
                  "There is nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself. You cant remake the past. So look ahead or risk getting left behind."

Comment

what if the artificial inteligence dosent want to be a suicide bomber?
                    I'm not talking sentience here, I'm building a missile guidance system not a buddy. The smaller and less complex it can be and still do it's job the better.

and since its ouside of the beaming range thats pretty far away. whats to stop them from scanning the imcomming fighter and run away into hyperspace?
                    Well there's them not doing that ever before for one...

Even if they do pansy out and run away every time one of my ships engages them in battle though, I'd say that means I'm doing pretty well.

Comment

hyperbombs have been thought of.

well, the sattelite was massive, yes. but i believe it mainly consisted out of capacitors to let the sattelite run on low energy. a ZPM would put the limit by the weapon, not the energy needed

Comment

I didn't have time to read the entire thread so I don't know if this has been already said:

Wraith dart (or two darts maybe if one is too small) with Stargate attached. Flies toward the 304 as fast as possible, releases the gate so that it's trajetory sends it straight for the 304. Dials gate to a black hole, gamma ray burst or supernova.

Comment

nice one. mmm. ram a hive into a 304

Comment

why is it that the only way people can think of to blow up a 304 is to use a cloaking device and surprise it or ram it? thats because its the only way. i mean the only things that have gotten past the asgard shields are multiple ori mega blasts and continuous fire from multiple hives. and considering the fact that if they would install merlins phase cloak then they would be undestroyable. because if there shields were about to fail the would just activate the phase cloak and let the wepons fire go right through them. why have they not done this? because then the 304 would be invincible and we wouldnt want that.
                            The "Ringing Aboard an Explosive" idea doesn't require a cloak to use, an Al'kesh, Ha'tak or a Mothership could be used to ring aboard an explosive, however timing would be crucial before the Asgard Beams manage to penetrate the shields and lay waste to the ship.

I still think my idea is the best; it's simple, uses relatively available and common technology and doesn't involve kamikaze runs an the expenditure of otherwise battle-worthy ships.

+1 for TPTB overlooking the fact rings work through shields

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                              The "Ringing Aboard an Explosive" idea doesn't require a cloak to use, an Al'kesh, Ha'tak or a Mothership could be used to ring aboard an explosive, however timing would be crucial before the Asgard Beams manage to penetrate the shields and lay waste to the ship.

I still think my idea is the best; it's simple, uses relatively available and common technology and doesn't involve kamikaze runs an the expenditure of otherwise battle-worthy ships.

+1 for TPTB overlooking the fact rings work through shields

actually the shields have to be set to a certin frequency in order for the rings to work and for security reasons the shield are proboly always set to block ring access.
                              STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

actually the shields have to be set to a certin frequency in order for the rings to work and for security reasons the shield are proboly always set to block ring access.
                                So, the Ori just overlooked the fact that their shields were ring-penetrable during Flesh and Blood when Daniel ringed aboard?

Comment

Working...
                                X