Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K i see your point still with earths tech knolewdge at the mo i think it would be solid ammo as the goualds weapons use energy sheild around plasma so i think the promethuse would have those by now if we had the ability to build that kind of sheilding but still it would be a cool idea.

HER'AK: "No matter what you have endured, you have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of."
    O'NEILL:"You ended that sentence with a preposition. *******!"

Comment

What the Daedalus (and future Terran warships) need against the Wraith : missiles, missiles and more missiles.
      As seen in The Siege 3, Daedalus' missiles could potentially kill a Wraith hive ship... IF they could hit. We saw thoses missiles launched by the DD intercepted by Wraith darts.
      Of course, since DD launched only 2 missiles per salvo, it wasn't that hard for the Wraith to intercept them. But this is a classical problem in military tactics : see the Soviet doctrine of launching heavy missile salvoes at US carrier groups, and its counter, the Aegis system. Military sci-fi fans should also know the Honor Harrington series by David Weber which are heavy in missile engagements.
      Now : what if the Daedalus could launch not 2 puny missiles, but 200 in a single salvo directed at a single Wraith ship ? I bet the suckers would have some trouble defending against such a wave of destruction and at least one warhead would go through the defensive fire, with unfortunate consequences for our Wraith friends.
      So, bolt some VLS launchers on Daedalus' hull and voilà, nuclear mayhem for the Wraith fleets

Comment

k well 200 odd missles of the nucleare varity would be mega expensive and if most of them r shot down a waste of ammo missles are slow and rail gun ammo is not and can cause the same amount of damage for less effort than 200 nucleare weapons and a sheilded ship could survive long anoth to shoot down our ships if it shoots down most of the missles the earth ship is done for. pluse the fact 200 nucleare weapons would take up lots of room!

HER'AK: "No matter what you have endured, you have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of."

Comment

Unfortunatley, I disagree, while they were able to trick the Wraith, the few times by beaming the weapons into the ships, the Wraith eventually compensated, the missiles cannot even penetrate the Wraith shields, however other weapons, possibly Asgard, may be able.

A possibility though if we were to use weapons, would be to adapt phase shifting technology to them, I know I have mentioned this hundreds of times before, but it would help for a while, the Wraith sensors probably wouldn't be able to detect the weapons until they blew up. If this technology was adapted, then yes, missiles missles and more missles would be perfect for the Daedalus, however, some larger ordinance might be cool too. The other possibility is, if the Wraith ever figured out how and what we were doing to allow our weapons to pass through the shields, they could asapt their shields inter-phasaly, to protect against matter from all phases. This would put a dent in our plan, perhaps a back-up as well?

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
            Unfortunatley, I disagree, while they were able to trick the Wraith, the few times by beaming the weapons into the ships, the Wraith eventually compensated, the missiles cannot even penetrate the Wraith shields, however other weapons, possibly Asgard, may be able.

A possibility though if we were to use weapons, would be to adapt phase shifting technology to them, I know I have mentioned this hundreds of times before, but it would help for a while, the Wraith sensors probably wouldn't be able to detect the weapons until they blew up. If this technology was adapted, then yes, missiles missles and more missles would be perfect for the Daedalus, however, some larger ordinance might be cool too. The other possibility is, if the Wraith ever figured out how and what we were doing to allow our weapons to pass through the shields, they could asapt their shields inter-phasaly, to protect against matter from all phases. This would put a dent in our plan, perhaps a back-up as well?

Owen Macri
            the Wraith don't have sheilds as far as we know. Missiles are slow and using 200 missile just to blow up one ship is the stupidist idea i have every heard of, sure phase shifing ammo would be nice but at the moment it is not even needed

Comment

Sorry, but have we seen any evidence of the Wraith having shields of any kind? To my recolection (which could be flawed) all the missiles that were fired were intercepted by either weapons fire from the hive ships or by darts. This would mean that we have not seen the fabled wraith shields of gateworld mythology.

-Chachi
              Hermiod: "Crap indeed!"

Comment

Oh, I appoligize, I may be incorrect, I actually can't remember that well, but I will re watch the episode, possibly today or tommorow. No need to be sorry, I am very tired, so who knows if I can remember right. lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

Dont forget the only reason the Missiles did alot of damage because they were transported inside the ship bays where all the darts are crearing a secondary blast causing alot of damage. FACING missiles would be a great idea like the clocking on the puddle jumpers. invincible to scanners and naked eye.

Comment

Well. Price is not an issue, we're talking about a frigging sci-fi show with starships Seriously, missiles can be mass-produced and series production drives the cost down.
                    Phase-shifting would be very nice, but it was a Tollan tech, and the Tollans are kaputt, no more Tollana, remember. So bye-bye phase-shifting unless somebody manages to reinvent it (and if this someone is not Terran, he might not want to give it away to us).
                    There's also the matter of energy. I read suggestions about using anti-matter. Nice idea, but you have first to create anti-matter. You could build the AM ammo in a big honking facility, then transport it to the ship's magazines. But then, combat damage could make the AM containment fail, and bye-bye warship. Or you could make AM as it is needed by the weapons. But at what energy cost ?
                    That's the problem : even with sci-fi power sources, power isn't infinite. Every system needs its share, and this share gets very big with BFG-like weapons. Missiles only need to be launched and targeted, the power requirement for their use is minimal.

Of course, the best would be to mix missiles and cannons (of various kinds).

Comment

I think u forget ur suggesting packing 200 nuck's into the ship well actualy alot more than that inoder to take out more than one wraith ship and if a nuck went of inside the ship it would be bye bye ship let alone 200+ of them so it would be about as hazardus as storing antimatter lol. Any way unless some one cracks the tech behind the drone weapon that can allow missles to get through shields(we have other enmies beside the wraith) then missles r not the best weapon the drones are small farst high explosive and work in tandom great missle weapons r's our slow big and not monovable and the wraith ships were destroyed by them from the inside for all u know against the surface they would fail. personally if the way forward is going to be missles i would say that we should figure out how to store large amounts of energy (none nucklear) in a small device wich should then be mass produced as small missles which would decrease the chances of intercept slightly but these missles should be lanched at higher speeds using rail tech in oder to allow them to reach their target (NASA wants to use rail tech to launch shuttles) and then earth scientist would have find out how to get them through sheilds.

Comment

It is true that the Tollans developed possible phase shifting technology, but that does not mean that others are not capable of it. I am almost certain that the Asgard could do it. Or we could ask the Ree'tou for help. We know the Goa'uld did it, so we can't be very far away. The actual technology could proabably be created by a number of races.

Owen Macri

Comment

It is true that the Tollans developed possible phase shifting technology, but that does not mean that others are not capable of it. I am almost certain that the Asgard could do it. Or we could ask the Ree'tou for help. We know the Goa'uld did it, so we can't be very far away. The actual technology could proabably be created by a number of races.

Owen Macri
                          yes it may exsit out side the tollan but seriously i doubt that we could do it at the mo its more than likely that the gouald stoll the tech of a race they defeated or experimented on, and the Ree'tou ability is natural is it not so they may not have looked into it that deppely as for the asgard i think this might fall into the catagoury of offensive weaponry so i doubt they would help us and other races would not trust us anothe to give it to use. More likely to crack the energy pericing secrets of the drones before that of the phase shift technology.

Comment

Originally posted by valha'lla
                            yes it may exsit out side the tollan but seriously i doubt that we could do it at the mo its more than likely that the gouald stoll the tech of a race they defeated or experimented on, and the Ree'tou ability is natural is it not so they may not have looked into it that deppely as for the asgard i think this might fall into the catagoury of offensive weaponry so i doubt they would help us and other races would not trust us anothe to give it to use. More likely to crack the energy pericing secrets of the drones before that of the phase shift technology.
                            The Ree'tou's phase shifting ability is natural but it is not the same kind of phase shifting, there kind of Phase shifting makes them invisible and I believe that is the same kind of phase shifting technology that the Goa'uld Nirrti used (I believe that is the Phase Shifting you are talking about)

Comment

Mmm, not bad, this idea of cannon-launched missiles. A bit like soviet tanks firing anti-tank missiles from their main gun.
                              Concerning the vulnerability of missiles magazines, it's exaggerated. First, nukes are safe. You can't detonate one unless specifically activating the firing mechanism. You can shoot a nuke, it won't go off. Of course you may have radioactive material drifting around, but in space... not a problem.
                              Now of course the missile drives themselves may explode. But if you put the launchers outside the main hull, the blast will spend itself harmelessly in space, not inside the ship.
                              We've seen in The Siege 3 the Daedalus coming very close indeed of the hive ships. If flushing a large salvo (I mean tens of them) at the nearest hiveship, I doubt the wraith could intercept them in time. And several nukes detonating in contact of the hull would definitively not be harmless.

Comment

The Asgard could easily replicate the technology for us, and with all that we have done for them, I am sure they could be persuaded.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                                X