This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lord §okar
    How is it possible that I can quote a post that is after mine?
    There is a problem with GateWorld. We are calling it time dialation. Somehow, people are able to post before others, while others posts are already there. As well, it seems that the time and date stamps are incorrect. I came to this thread because it said you had posted last, when clearly my post succeeded yours Lord Sokar. I can tell you something is seriously screwed. This forum happens to use the same time zone that I am in, yet it says I posted today at 6:14 a.m. when it is not even 6:14 yet, it is 4:27. So apparently, I am posting from the future.

Owen Macri

Comment

See, I posted the last post in this thread from the future, then I can back to now, and am posting before it, even though I have not posted it yet, but it still apears. RELATIVITY IS SO FREAKING COOL!!!!!

Owen Macri

Comment

Or even better, anti matter projectiles, with phase shifting capabilites so they can pass right through a ships shields.

Owen Macri

Comment

Why dont we just fire missiles because if they missed they could return and keep on attacking till they hit.A shell would just go on forever untill it hit a moon or something else.
          Rimmer: "What's this? Learning drugs? They're illegal, matey! Where did you get them? I'm afraid you're in very serious, grave, deep trouble, Lister. Where did you get them? I want names, I want places, I want dates."
          Lister: "Arnold Rimmer, his locker, this morning."
          - Rimmer and Lister, Balance of Power from Red Dwarf

Ambassador: I hate you English. With your boring trousers and your shiny toilet paper and your ridiculous preconceptions that Frenchmen are great lovers. I'm French and I'm hung like a baby carrot and a couple of petits pois.
          - Nob and Nobility from Blackadder

Comment

Anti-matter missiles would be pretty sweet. The only problem with missiles would be how expensive they would be, but heck, this is TV after all!
            JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
            VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
            MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
            LANDRY
            : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
            Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
            Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
            Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by nimitz
              Why dont we just fire missiles because if they missed they could return and keep on attacking till they hit.A shell would just go on forever untill it hit a moon or something else.
              *Bangs head against wall* I already explain this we don't use missiles because they are slow and very easy to intercept, this is demonstrated in “The Siege Part 3” (also Shells could be at least a little guide since they are working on guided shells for the U.S. Army well maybe I don’t know if that part would work in space but it doesn’t really matter)

Comment

Originally posted by nimitz
                because they travel relatively slow and a single shell from a big enough rail gun can easily deliver the power of a nuke more efficiently (nukes are expensive)

whoops he already said that
                Those who know the truth must rise up boldly and be a light into the darkness, if the truth bearers stay quiet, then the lost are already gone.

Comment

K first of the rail gun idea is wicked. But I say just leave as solid ammunition if they would develop a rail gun which has the rate of fire of the smaller ones with lager shells (a faster speeds would be nice) just stick them on the bc-303 in batteries as they should be able to over power shields cause of the rate of fire and the tremendous energy on impact fire a 1 kg of projectile at 3 km/s (approximately mach 9) and it will tear a tank to pieces in a single shot. So imagine the power of a battery of automatic rail guns firing larger shells.

HER'AK: "No matter what you have endured, you have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of."
                  O'NEILL:"You ended that sentence with a preposition. *******!"

Comment

You could fire solid antimatter. Antimatter has phases just like regualr matter, solid, liquid, gas, plasma.

Owen Macri

Comment

K first of anti-matter is extremly unstaible and explosive and would require lots of research. Also the eletical charge used to fire the rail could make it explode second the matterial has to conduct electricty does anti matter and thirdly soild ammo can not add extra damage so that a sabature can not just set of the magazine and destroy the whole ship.

HER'AK: "No matter what you have endured, you have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of."

Comment

Antimatter can be just as stable or unstable as regular matter. For example, the element plutonium, is unstable, so its' opposite, anti-plutonium, would be just as unstable. However, anti-oxygen, would be just as stable as oxygen. You view anti-matter in general as unstable because it cannot exist simultaneously with matter. Seeing as our universe is predominantly matter, antimatter usually cannot exist. When antimatter meets with matter, there is a process of mutual anhilation, the matter and antimatter will destroy equal amounts of eachother, converting into energy completley. Anti-matter, in general is not unstable, but it cannot exist along with matter.

As for the problem of sabatoge, you are right, sabatoge is always a possibility, but it is a possibility anywhere. Someone could sabatoge a nuclear power plant, by mixing in some weapons grade plutonium and causing an overload. Someone could cause a nuclear power plant meltdown, someone could sabotage a plane by cutting its' wings of or altering the turbines causing them to stop in mid air. Yet, we still use all of these things. As long as precautions are taken we can be safe.

If we instead of stroing anti-matter in the ships provided the rail guns with antimatter generating devices, as well, and matter the anti-matter would have contact with would be shielded by a forcefield, until it left the ship, then it would be out of phase until it reached the opposing ship or enemy. It is a chance we are taking but it is a reasonable one.

Owen Macri

Comment

suppose but i still say at lest for the moment with earths tech it would be solid ammo as generating anti matter would be complicated and would need even more power than the normal rail gun which would take some power to do and thirdly the matter would have to be solid and conductive which i dont think is posible as u say normal matter would cause anti matter to be consumed and visa versa causing an explotion sounds to me like the gun would just explode as electricty is conducted via normal matter electrons so i doubt it would be even possible.

Comment

Obviously we couldn't allow the anti-matter to come in contact with regular matter until it reaches the traget, that is why, the inside of the ral gun could have a protective forcefield to keep the matter from touching the antimater projectiles, the forcefield could transfer the electrical current to the projectile.

Owen Macri

Comment

actualy in that case only the force feild would need to be conductive but it would still be a hell of a job to insure the charge did not touchthe anti matter

Comment

No, the charge could touch the anti-matter, it wouldn't react because it is not matter. So we couldn't have a problem there.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                                X