Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about some upgraded phlanx cannons for anti fighter usage?

Help!
    My emojournal

Comment

The required power is directly proportional to the layer of hyperspace that you wish to enter.

In respone to Hudsons' post, that could work.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson
        What about some upgraded phlanx cannons for anti fighter usage?
        that wouldn't work because normal bullets need oxygen

Comment

I posted this on one of the general topics, but i thought it was pertinent, so I'll repost it here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

You know, I was just reading some of the gateworld forum topics and it
          occurred to me that there is an inherent problem with incorporating
          advanced energy weapons onboard the battlecruisers, ie the Prometheus
          and the Daedalus. This was actually addressed many years ago on the
          show Babylon 5 and its spinoff Crusade (tragically cancelled before it's
          time). Energy weapons (depending on the design, make and discharge) are
          good for two things. Wiping out your foes and draining power. We are
          never told what power sources both ships use, so I assume that it's a
          combination of naquadah, naquadria generators and probably Asgard
          neutrino ion power generators (at least for the Daedalus). We know that
          both ships have shield generators as well as beam technologies. Not to
          mention ring transporters as well as hyperdrive engines. All of these
          require massive amounts of power to utilize and sustain. There is a
          theoretical limit to how much power we can actively channel to each of
          these functions and a limit to the fuel source and how much energy we
          can safely channel simultaneously to all of these outputs. I do not
          believe that Earth's understanding of starship technology is
          sufficiently mature enough to build and maintain just such a starship
          safely and without too much incident, unlike the Asgard or even the
          Goa'uld. Having energy weapons might mean that the moment it is fired
          at full strength, the concomittant loss of power to other needed
          starship functions might be a little severe, and in a firefight like
          what we saw in The Siege Part III, that could be deadly. I draw
          attention to the Bablon 5 movie and lead into Crusade where the
          Excalibur's forward main gun draws such an excessive drain on power that
          it takes a full minute to recharge and regain full starship
          functionality. Having the alternative of expendable ordnance like rail
          guns or nuclear warheads definitely takes the strain of power drain off
          the ship. In a situation where your shields and maneuvarability are more
          important to surviving a scenario, energy weapons seem like an
          unnecessary luxury.
          McKAY: Well, you wouldn’t know that from this, would you? This might as well say, “Bing tiddle tiddle bong.” It’s complete gibberish!

Comment

Nice idea, but I don't believe there is a theoretical limit, the universe is filled with energy, we just need to harness it.

Owen Macri

Comment

I have no doubt that the universe has no theoretical limit of energy, that is not in question. What I am referring to are the various fuel sources used by the batteships from Earth and how the resulting energy is channeled to powering the starship functions, be it electrical lighting, artificial gravity, ring transporters, beam technology etc etc. Given that raw materials and consumables are always the limiting factor in availability, any starship that is using our current level of technology has to prioritize which functions are most needed and make allowances for them. If you have an energy weapon that is marginally useful, but exerts a real strain on power reserves that are not necessarily easily replenished, you'd think twice before either incorporating it into your design or using it overly much. You'd probably also think of alternatives that maximize other consumables that do not take away from other essentials like life support etc etc...
              McKAY: Well, you wouldn’t know that from this, would you? This might as well say, “Bing tiddle tiddle bong.” It’s complete gibberish!

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Newman
                that wouldn't work because normal bullets need oxygen
                Sorry, but I have to say you're wrong here. True, the explosive reaction for a bullet requires oxygen, but the explosive in casings of bullets provide their own oxydizers so the oxygen of the atmosphere is not needed. Bullets can be fired in space. This environment would probably be the best place to fire a bullet as there is no atmospheric drag to slow it down. Kinetic energy at impact would be the same as KE at the moment the bullet leaves the barrel.

-Chachi
                Hermiod: "Crap indeed!"

Comment

No wonder Big Honkin' Space guns seem to be so effective...
                  JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                  VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                  MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                  LANDRY
                  : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                  Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                  Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                  Mmm... Green...

Comment

electromagnetic railguns be developed in real life dont need a explosive war head to damage a target cause they go at like mach 6 or 7...so i think the deddy or prommie could be armed with a bigger railgun that fires a bigger slug..

Comment

Now, if you could refit a rail gun to take proximity triggered atomic bombs, you would have a big honkin space gun. An nuclear weapon designed to explode when it comes in contact with something solid, either energy or matter, that is fired at mach 5-6.

Owen Macri

EDIT: Forgot to mention, they are naquadah enhanced!

Owen Macri

Comment

Energy weapons would not draw power directly, they would use a buffer and yes we need energy weapons but we also need my LNASRG (large nuclear artillery shell rail gun) if someone would make a better abbreviation thing it would be appreciated

Comment

SFNLRG, lol, that is longer, Super Fast Nuke Launching Rail Gun. I guess we could settle for ARG, Atomic Rail Gun, that sounds cool too!

Owen Macri

Comment

that would be cool but it might be difficult to achieve high speeds with a nuke payload ( http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...92#post4369992 ). you might just want a huge rail-magnet ammo combo. at high enough velocities, they can deliver high kiloton energies as potent if not more so than any nuke. just my thought, i think this is right.
                            Those who know the truth must rise up boldly and be a light into the darkness, if the truth bearers stay quiet, then the lost are already gone.

Comment

so it is Offical my rail gun idea is called ARG, good thinking Owen

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                                Or even better, anti matter projectiles, with phase shifting capabilites so they can pass right through a ships shields.

Owen Macri
                                How is it possible that I can quote a post that is after mine?
                                Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Working...
                                X