Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to let you mods know that I had to report a post a few minutes ago. It was in the McKay thunk thread, some newbie to the forum posted a rather rude anti-McKay message in the thread and I'm really ******! I'm only mentioning this to ensure that you get the message in case you guys see this before the report(however that works). Just wanna cover all the bases here.

sigpic
    Sig by ME.

Comment

It's already dealt with,RiG .

The e-mail report got through fine !
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Unless I have this wrong or Darren chances his mind, you guys can use this as guidance for the various folders:

Darren will make 'official' episode discussion threads for the following shows.

Universe
        fringe
        smallville
        sanctuary
        heroes

When each episode airs, if it's not opened towards the end or soon after the episode finishes airing, please report the post and ask a mod to open it for you. anyone making their own discussion thread will just end up with it closed. If you want to do a 'live watch' thread, you can, but as soon as the show is over, the discussion should go to the official thread.

All other shows you guys can either

Make a SINGLE thread for each episode...or if you're in a fandom where there isn't much discussion, like a half dozen or so reponses each week, you might want to consider a 'second season episode discussion thread' or something like that....a singular thread to discuss each episode as it airs.

It's up to you guys to make your own decisions about that. You know best which kind of thread is best for each show.

If for some reason we end up with several general discussion threads per episode, just let the mods know and we'll merge them together.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

This is going to sound odd I think... Is there a way to remove a 'green' received? I know the mods can remove the comment but is there a way for the user to... reject a green?
          What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            It's already dealt with,RiG .

The e-mail report got through fine !
            Thank you.
            sigpic
            Sig by ME.

Comment

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post
              This is going to sound odd I think... Is there a way to remove a 'green' received? I know the mods can remove the comment but is there a way for the user to... reject a green?
              Sorry Cazz,but the only options available for now are these :

a. put the member who gave the unwanted green on your Ignore List.

or

b.keep your reputation panel closed for a good while till the point goes off-screen .
              Not very easy as the panel automatically opens itself every time you log in ,unless you've cleared all the cookies ,plus if you have to share a comp at work/Uni/libraries this is not a good option for security reasons.

or
              c.disable public dispay of your reputation.

The forum software is an all or nothing option,you see.Perhaps in a future upgrade ,there'll be better options .

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
              Thank you.
              You're welcome .

General advice :
              If it happens again anytime,report the post then carry on posting as normal without responding to the person's remark(s).
              Faster to deal with one post,as if a thread is fast moving ,requotes can be easily missed and cause further problems later if a Mod misses them !
              The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

A question of interpretation

Mods, why are certain words censored and others not. In my Fanfic, two words that are so common in usage, that for decades even on PG TV, they are not reguarded as swearing, have been disallowed, yet another two words still connected with bad language are allowed on the forum, I don't undersatnd? The two disallowed words are <snip> The words allowed are piss or deraitives of it and ass. Can someone please explain?
                Last edited by Skydiver; 20 September 2009, 04:48 PM.
                My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

first, while i understand your frustration, please don't circumvent the language filter.

second, the words that are part of the filter come from a long and culturally diverse list. some words are considered 'tamer' than others.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    first, while i understand your frustration, please don't circumvent the language filter.

second, the words that are part of the filter come from a long and culturally diverse list. some words are considered 'tamer' than others.
                    I sought of understand Sky, so how is it then that the last two words I quoted are considered tamer than the the first, because here and in other countries, those last two are considered quite vulgar, is the culturally diverse list, only from an American view point? I don't mean to sound rude, but it really is a puzzle, that some words considered bad are allowed in one context, whilst others considered "tame" are not.

Comment

sometimes it's what's pointed out ot darren

for example, pussy, it can be very vulgar...or a cuddly little pussy cat.

There is also the fact that while we do block some words to accommodate words that are considered vulgar 'across the pond', this is an american site maintained by an american owner

If there are some words that people feel should be blocked, you can bring that to darren's attention. That said, presently, he's in the middle of a major personal move, so i'm sure, that while he would appreciate hearing any input, it's low on his priority list right now.

sigpic

Comment

sometimes it's what's pointed out ot darren

for example, pussy, it can be very vulgar...or a cuddly little pussy cat.

There is also the fact that while we do block some words to accommodate words that are considered vulgar 'across the pond', this is an american site maintained by an american owner

If there are some words that people feel should be blocked, you can bring that to darren's attention. That said, presently, he's in the middle of a major personal move, so i'm sure, that while he would appreciate hearing any input, it's low on his priority list right now.
                        Okey dokey D' so how do you get around it in a fic, when if it's not vulgar but censored by GW, but important to the dialogue?

Comment

Well, like i said in the fic forum, this forum was never meant to be an archive for fic. It's only something we've allowed due to our archive being down..

what particular word are you trying to get in there?

sigpic

Comment

The two "B" words, D. But if they're not allowed, I'll have to think of something else, but I don't really know how else to tame down military dialogue anymore than that?

Comment

i'm thinking you're going to have a lot of characters getting cut off, either that or you post it with the words starred out.

the witch with a B won't work either. And, as an american, i don't see the blood word as vulgar, others do. In the same way, anchor with a W isn't a bad word here but sure is across the pond.

sigpic

Comment

the witch with a B won't work either. And, as an american, i don't see the blood word as vulgar, others do. In the same way, anchor with a W isn't a bad word here but sure is across the pond.
                                Don't forget the "across the pond" reaction when you tell people you store your passport in your fanny-pack.
                                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Working...
                                X