Eli is being used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
    I had a huge smile after watching that video Finally Eli gets some much needed love. There should be more girls like Ginn, who give Geeks a chance and even take the initiative for a change
    sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

she could be but i hope she is not, i bet she has had a hard life in a tough place and she wants somebody to love her
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
        Here's a hint to the writers: Real lasting relationships are developed over time, guys. There's a reason why passionate relationships usually fail. Unless, of course, this show is all about failed relationships, which means Eli and Ginn is doomed to fail along with Scott and Chloe, in which case, great job, guys! Well, they didn't have any experience writing relationships in SG-1 or Atlantis, so I suppose it's natural they are gonna fumble badly here.
        No, real lasting relationships are NOT developed over time. That's where insecure guys go wrong, actually. They wait, and hesitate, and become friends, and hang on the sidelines, and... WHAT, she moved on?!

They've been working together for 3 days and they've kissed. Whoop-de-doo. Sounds like kissing at the end of a particularly spark-filled first date, which is perfectly normal. Approach ten random old couples and ask them whether or not they kissed on their first date. Most will say yes, and some will give each other a sly grin, because they went beyond just a kiss.

Also, hot female that instantly wants to bonk a male nerd? Well, I suppose, since this IS science fiction. Then again, she only has a contract for a few episodes, so they needed to make it quick, and probably hoping Ginn's sexiness distracts the viewer from noticing the unrealistic aspects.
        Kristen Bell is a nerd. Tina Fey is a nerd. Taylor Swift is a nerd, and was an outcast in high school to boot (she writes her own songs, and they are inspired by real-life events/people). Visit MIT, NASA, or Google and check out the sort of gorgeous women who work there. You realize that women are beating out men nearly 2:1 when it comes to high-level degrees, right? And have you never been to a Comic-Con, Blizzcon, etc.? Get over the idea that male nerds are ugly/undesirable and that female nerds either do not exist or are not hot.

Personally, I don't think she's using him, which makes her performance all the more awkward and unrealistic. But I don't see it lasting, either. I suppose the bottom line is, at least he is going to get some, but I wonder how that will affect him in the future. They say that "tis better to have loved and lost, then never to have loved" but that's not entirely true; sometimes it's worse.

Ah well, at least she sees his better side, and is willing to be better to him than Chloe was. Once you get into a relationship, friends tend to find their other friends neglecting them, and now that Eli has Ginn, perhaps Chloe will find herself ignored enough that she'll think about it. At least it's obvious that the only three people that are visiting Chloe, are Rush, Scott, and Young. If she's a friend at all to Eli, she has to wonder why he hasn't come. Then again, if Eli isn't much to her, then she won't wonder at all.
        This again... I worked in psych for 5 years and saw less insecurity and self-pity and woman-hating than I've seen on these forums when it comes to Eli/Chloe/relationships. Oye!

Comment

i at first thought that she was going to use him, and when he left the room to go after geer i was thinking "don't leave her alone". but when it showed her she did seem to care when he was talking about his mom. so i'm hoping that she really does like him.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
            i at first thought that she was going to use him, and when he left the room to go after geer i was thinking "don't leave her alone". but when it showed her she did seem to care when he was talking about his mom. so i'm hoping that she really does like him.
            My train of thought exactly. The writers set it up perfectly with their red herring, but that's all it was. The look on her face when she saw him talking about his Mum was pure heartbreak. I will be the one heartbroken if she turns on him because I'm certain she's not playing him.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by k1037 View Post
              No, real lasting relationships are NOT developed over time. That's where insecure guys go wrong, actually. They wait, and hesitate, and become friends, and hang on the sidelines, and... WHAT, she moved on?!
              I think you're a bit confused. I'm talking about relationships that begin with sex that happens after a few short days. That's a physical, carnal craving. It's not bad, but it's not the kind of thing that generally leads to a long-lasting relationship. You see, all feelings fade with time, and thus those that began with simple carnal emotion will fail when that emotion eventually fades, because there was never much time for a stronger foundation to form.

See the movie Vision Quest for an example of this. Despite the love for each other, the relationship between the two characters ended.

No one is talking about "hesitating and waiting." You can make interest known, but shacking up is a very good way to have a relationship end later. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. And heard the whine fest from friends, both nerd and non-nerd alike, when they complain they were having hot sex, and then wondered why the person left them after.

They've been working together for 3 days and they've kissed. Whoop-de-doo. Sounds like kissing at the end of a particularly spark-filled first date, which is perfectly normal. Approach ten random old couples and ask them whether or not they kissed on their first date. Most will say yes, and some will give each other a sly grin, because they went beyond just a kiss.
              I'll cut you some slack, because you probably haven't watched the premier trailer for the next episode. Suffice it to say, you may wish to retract this statement and wait until next week, unless you want to watch the 2 minute trailer clip.

Kristen Bell is a nerd. Tina Fey is a nerd. Taylor Swift is a nerd, and was an outcast in high school to boot (she writes her own songs, and they are inspired by real-life events/people). Visit MIT, NASA, or Google and check out the sort of gorgeous women who work there. You realize that women are beating out men nearly 2:1 when it comes to high-level degrees, right? And have you never been to a Comic-Con, Blizzcon, etc.? Get over the idea that male nerds are ugly/undesirable and that female nerds either do not exist or are not hot.
              I never said that, but I figured someone would put those words in my mouth. Yes, there are hot nerds, but they are the exception, not the rule. Also, in none of those cases did a hot woman suddenly come onto an unattractive nerd. "Mmmm, hey big boy, I just love the size of your... brain." In cases where even nerds hook up, there is chemistry established first, you get to know each other, you hang out, you have fun, you grow close.

This works surprisingly well. You can ask my folks; they've been married for over 40 years.

How to Make Your Relationship Last - Delay Sex

Comment

I'm very suspicious of her.

But I do hope it's genuine.

And I think she may be part of the plot to send disinformation to Earth.

Comment

I think you're a bit confused. I'm talking about relationships that begin with sex that happens after a few short days. That's a physical, carnal craving. It's not bad, but it's not the kind of thing that generally leads to a long-lasting relationship. You see, all feelings fade with time, and thus those that began with simple carnal emotion will fail when that emotion eventually fades, because there was never much time for a stronger foundation to form.

See the movie Vision Quest for an example of this. Despite the love for each other, the relationship between the two characters ended.

No one is talking about "hesitating and waiting." You can make interest known, but shacking up is a very good way to have a relationship end later. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. And heard the whine fest from friends, both nerd and non-nerd alike, when they complain they were having hot sex, and then wondered why the person left them after.

I'll cut you some slack, because you probably haven't watched the premier trailer for the next episode. Suffice it to say, you may wish to retract this statement and wait until next week, unless you want to watch the 2 minute trailer clip.

I never said that, but I figured someone would put those words in my mouth. Yes, there are hot nerds, but they are the exception, not the rule. Also, in none of those cases did a hot woman suddenly come onto an unattractive nerd. "Mmmm, hey big boy, I just love the size of your... brain." In cases where even nerds hook up, there is chemistry established first, you get to know each other, you hang out, you have fun, you grow close.

This works surprisingly well. You can ask my folks; they've been married for over 40 years.

How to Make Your Relationship Last - Delay Sex
                  Carnal lust is not the only reason people hook up early on. It's just as often because there's such a strong sense of "it feels like I've known this person forever" and such an immediate spark that you decide to skip the awkward early phases of a relationship and dive right in. Besides, emotional passion also fades; you have to work at any long-term relationship.

I understand where you're coming from with the "you get to know each other, you hang out, you have fun, you grow close" bit, but that's part of the problem. A lot of nerds or insecure guys in general have this mindset that being turned down (or having a relationship not work out) is somehow unusual or a failure. It's actually the norm. But when you devote a lot of time and energy into one person *before* dating them/getting serious, it makes the more-than-likely end more painful. It's also the main reason those guys have fewer relationships. If you only have a 1/4 chance of hooking up with someone and wait 3 months between dating attempts, that's one potential relationship a year, versus someone who waits 1 week between attempts having one potential relationship a month.

Also, as a male, you just can not judge male attractiveness the way women do. Have you ever sat in on some "girl talk" between female friends? It is outright shocking how many radically different guys they find attractive. I dare you to listen to 15 minutes of girl talk and not blurt out, "You think he is hot?!?!??!"

Comment

Originally posted by k1037 View Post
                    Carnal lust is not the only reason people hook up early on. It's just as often because there's such a strong sense of "it feels like I've known this person forever" and such an immediate spark that you decide to skip the awkward early phases of a relationship and dive right in. Besides, emotional passion also fades; you have to work at any long-term relationship.
                    The spark is pure emotional. You can't have "known this person forever" logically speaking. It's actually one of the buttons charmers pull on women. Push the right emotional buttons, and they are yours... at least for the night, or the short term.

I understand where you're coming from with the "you get to know each other, you hang out, you have fun, you grow close" bit, but that's part of the problem. A lot of nerds or insecure guys in general have this mindset that being turned down (or having a relationship not work out) is somehow unusual or a failure. It's actually the norm. But when you devote a lot of time and energy into one person *before* dating them/getting serious, it makes the more-than-likely end more painful. It's also the main reason those guys have fewer relationships. If you only have a 1/4 chance of hooking up with someone and wait 3 months between dating attempts, that's one potential relationship a year, versus someone who waits 1 week between attempts having one potential relationship a month.
                    I've been there, both ways. I've hooked up with women after a few days, and I've dated people that I had known for a long time. In both cases, sometimes ended up in bed with. From experience, I'll tell you that the short term hook ups always lasted a vastly shorter period of time. The people I got to know and developed an actual relationship with first, lasted much longer. True, it was more painful most of the time when it ended, but that's the cost. Quite simply, a bond between two people takes time to grow, and if you rush it, then you get past the important stages and the relationship eventually fails because the bonds never had much of a chance to grow and solidify.

True, if you date enough women, hooking up with each one after knowing them for an hour or a day, sooner or later you'll probably find someone through statistical odds alone. But that could take decades. How about just getting to know them, first, before jumping into their panties?

Also, as a male, you just can not judge male attractiveness the way women do. Have you ever sat in on some "girl talk" between female friends? It is outright shocking how many radically different guys they find attractive. I dare you to listen to 15 minutes of girl talk and not blurt out, "You think he is hot?!?!??!"
                    Oh, physical looks aren't as big of an issue for women as men, generally speaking. But they do still play a role. Looks are the first thing someone sees. If two guys walk into a bar, say Scott and Eli, the women will be checking out Scott for more than Eli, if they even notice he is there. In other words, there is an immediate hurdle that nerds like Eli have to cross.

And yes, I've heard this from many women, too. In the times I've been friendzoned, and had women spill their guts to me, I've heard them tell me this. I have a friend my age, and she's dated many guys (she's poly, married to one guy but actively dating; it's complex), and I notice a clear difference in the guys she describes. She'll call some "hotties" while saying nothing about the physical looks of the others, even though she may be dating them.

Looks may not be a major factor, but they are a factor.

Comment

I think it is quite genuine, those 2 days working, they probably spent quite a bit of time together,
                      and from what we saw of the lucian alliance, i dont think shes really had a chance to interact with anyone whos really on her wavelength, someone she can actually talk about her interests with, and now shes met eli who she can interact with on the same level,

as for the kiss i'd say it was pretty normal to happen so soon, and they're in a live or death situation everyday not really the time or place to be coy is it

Comment

The kiss was Ginn's way of showing that she was still interested, after Eli was fairly sure he'd just blown any chance of being with her. Eli was about to walk away, because he thought after she'd seen his video that Ginn would think he was weak or pathetic, and would lose any interest she had in him. I'm glad Eli has found someone who is genuinely interested in him. I'm not anti-Chloe in any way, but with Ginn now Eli will have a chance to be with someone who feels the same way he does, and hopefully this will put him and Chloe in a more balanced friendship rather than the friendship/unrequainted love that we've been seeing between them.
                        sigpic

Find your Destiny

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's funny how the guard was in on it. And how the door knock sounded like tappingn wood and not metal

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora24 View Post
                            The kiss was Ginn's way of showing that she was still interested, after Eli was fairly sure he'd just blown any chance of being with her. Eli was about to walk away, because he thought after she'd seen his video that Ginn would think he was weak or pathetic, and would lose any interest she had in him.
                            This!

I think Ginn (at least in my mind) has been set up with one of the highest emotional IQ's of any charecter I've seen to this point. It took her very little time to process what was happening in the LA camp which causes her to take the step to end it in the first episode of the season. And in this case, she reads Eli's reaction extremely quickly and reacts to it.

Now, I'm not saying she's saintly OR she's playing him, but I am suggesting that whether what she wants is romantic or something else, the "quick" kiss had everything to do with her understanding Eli and how he was reacting very quickly.

Also, I think there was some debating up-thread about nerds and labels. I think people would do well to remember that different cultures DO tend to value different things. I don't think there's any woman or man alive who does not have a shallow edge to them on some level, but it's a mistake to believe that because American culture has an unhealthy obsession with athletes vs. brainacs, every culture has it. They don't. So projecting Ginn as needing to conform to some sort of valley girl stereotype seems a little odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemises View Post
                              and will be manipulated by ginn later on.
                              Agree.

Comment

Basically it doen't feel realistic!

Its one thing being a nerd and another being a fat nerd. And more often than not hot 'nerd' girls dont go for the nerd guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X