• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
    I have to coin this incident:

Two birds with one stone.

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
    Ok, I'm going to feel awful if I'm the only one who thought this, but given Simeon's extremely questionable interactions with other women on the ship (TJ, when she has to give him the epic wristhold of pain to get him to bow to her greatness, and whatever we are supposed to believe he said to Park in place of "Try the carrots"), my response to Simeon going into Ginn's room wasn't just "Hey, he's gonna kill her", but "Hey, he's gonna rape her and kill her".

Maybe I just watched to much Prison Break (sorry Robert Knepper! I shouldn't be typecasting you, you are a great actor).
    I won't see the ep til Friday but this is my fear too, given how he's behaved with other women.
    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
      Frankly, I'm glad that they have the stones to kill off characters that people are invested in. Most shows will never, ever make this kind of move because it rocks the boat too much. These are the kinds of things that really set this show apart from the other SG shows, and I like it.
      Or do like they did in SGA/SG1 and bring them back...

But what is happening isn't 'soapy'. At all. Anyone who completely gives up on the franchise, because they consider what is happening in these two episodes as 'soapy' is just looking for a reason to give up and was never going to like it anyway
      Yup. And to me, that they give up over something so ''flippant' to me is as much soapy as the act they are moaning about.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
        But what is happening isn't 'soapy'. At all. Anyone who completely gives up on the franchise, because they consider what is happening in these two episodes as 'soapy' is just looking for a reason to give up and was never going to like it anyway. It's one of the most silly complaints I've heard leveled at the show yet, the soap opera insults are literally becoming bewildering now.

EDIT: Oh, and I wouldn't trust the wiki spoiler, not yet anyway. It can be edited by anyway.
        A Soap Opera is a: "Broadcast serial drama, characterized by a permanent cast of actors, a continuing story, tangled interpersonal situations, and a melodramatic or sentimental style." Tangled, melodramatic or sentimental are the salient points here and describe SGU. The show is a Space Soap Opera which is fine. "Soapy" is a fair and accurate characterization of the show especially when viewed in comparison to SG-1 and SGA.

Spoiler:
        Introducing Ginn and Amanda as love interests for both Eli and Rush (who are both wounded in their own ways) and then immediately killing them off is as melodramatic and sentimental as it dramatically gets. I find their murder upsetting and depressing and a cheap maudlin dramatic contrivance.

If my complaint is "silly” how do you explain the precipitous ratings drop from last season? Nothing could be clearer evidence that a large portion of the general Sci-Fi viewing audience is not happy with SGU. Nearly half of the Stargate viewer ship has already voted with their feet and has stopped watching. The soapy and depressing nature of the show is imo the cause. Detox's comments (reposted below) are right on. I am not suggesting that those that do enjoy it are in any fashion wrong to do so. It is simply a personal preference and unfortunately for SGU, not likely a widespread one. Viewers have the right to stop watching if the show no longer entertains them. Many like myself have been faithful viewers waiting hopefully for the show's depressing tone to improve.

Originally posted by Detox View Post
        Hey! I got it right!

But honestly, that was so obvious. Of course Gin and Amanda are going to die. God knows the writers spend some time and actually work on developing characters that makes the show *gasp* a little bit happier and less depressing.

Remember when Brad Wright said that the second season was going to be a be less depressing and more adventurous and light-hearted like Stargate is supposed? Great way to start that by killing off three very likable characters that took away from the depressing tone of the show.

Honestly, at the predictable and by the numbers pace they're going, I'm honestly not going to be too sad when the show gets canceled in a few weeks. There's a reason why SGU's lost over half its audience, and it's not because they consistently forget to turn on their TVs.
        I may be Pollyannaish but I watch a TV show or movie to be uplifted. After a year and a half, SGU’s perpetually wrong people in the wrong place is getting depressing and old.
        Last edited by Blackhole; 11 November 2010, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
          Greer has other things to do. Simeon-baiting is just a side project. And maybe, just maybe, Simeon killed or slipped past his guards or something... I know I know, silly of me to make a logical assumption out of a yet-unexplained situation instead of going for the "everybody's an idiot" option, but there we have it...
          The problem isn't the logical assumption itself; the problem is what we are being asked to believe if the assumption is true.

You have a man who has clearly been pushing things; against TJ, against Park, against Greer, and against who knows how many others. Each LA person had two guards on them. Now, given this, do you say, "Well, gee, maybe Simeon isn't so bad after all, so let's bring him down to just one guard!" ? Or do you keep at least two guards on him at all times and with explicit orders to watch him carefully because he seems a bit unstable?

Greer has had at least two confrontations with Simeon, and you know that Greer knows exactly what kind of man Simeon is. He had to know Simeon was probing for opportunities, and thus very good reason to keep an eye on him.

It's okay man, let me explain to you how crazy people like me can make it make sense: One, Simeon is bats. That's a good start. Two, he knows everybody else is betraying the Alliance, and he doesn't like that. So, when he figures out Ginn's about to do the same (Tenfold, if the info leads to thwarting the attack on Earth), he does something drastic with the opportunity presented with Perry being Ginn's body and thus being a bit more defenceless. Now here's my crazy pondering: what's next for the guy? I gotta wonder if his plan is to covertly go around and attempt to kill all of his LA buddies before they can betray the group for good, or if he's just going to kill everybody on the ship...
          You've probably missed it, but I did say before that the only explanation I could possibly see was that Simeon was crazy to even consider this. Logically thinking it out would mean he should see that his course of action is clear: Lay low and wait for an opportunity to deliver Destiny to the LA.

By the way, you should really look up Wallbangers because there is a deliberate reason for my use of the imagery.

Riley died in a shuttle crash caused by Rush not fully understanding the bridge right off the bat. Yes, it would be far more believable if he got killed by an alien or something! Maybe we should've brought in the Wraith to kill him all dramatic-like. That would've made sense!
          I expected this kind of response. The idiocy was in the scientists and Young not seeing the planetary conditions. You're partially right; it's not a total idiot play since they needed food and Young probably would have ordered the shuttle to go anyway.

Comment

Funny How Eli is following Daniel in the woman area. One Gould one dead rinse & repeat

Currently Watching: SGU Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice

Rewatch: BSG, SGA, SG:1 Farscape, X files

Comment

Ok, I'm going to feel awful if I'm the only one who thought this, but given Simeon's extremely questionable interactions with other women on the ship (TJ, when she has to give him the epic wristhold of pain to get him to bow to her greatness, and whatever we are supposed to believe he said to Park in place of "Try the carrots"), my response to Simeon going into Ginn's room wasn't just "Hey, he's gonna kill her", but "Hey, he's gonna rape her and kill her".

Maybe I just watched to much Prison Break (sorry Robert Knepper! I shouldn't be typecasting you, you are a great actor).
              Yeah or rape her and kill her with an earthquake, though a bit tough to do on board a ship. ( the earthquake part was from Heroes)

Hey all. I've been a bit of a lurker on these forums for a while and it was only after this last episode that i decided to register and partake in the back-and-forths.
              The last scene, and what the trailer and sneak-peak imply and indeed clearly show, really anger me.
              I was watching the episode with my brother, and after one of the scenes of Ginn and Eli, i said to him that they are totally going to kill her off. Predictable crap. Can't Eli be happy for more than 2 episodes?
              Viewers will drop (not necessarily me because i am a huge fan of the stargate franchise and have been fairly happy with SGU up until now) but all the other slightly interested viewers will say "Nope, i am done."
              This would be like killing off Jessica in True-Blood! (yes another hot red-head, part of a relationship everyone loves)
              It was so dumb that Simeon-douche was allowed to walk around, even with a guard there. That ******* should be locked up, or on that planet with the other LA.

Status: Angry but unrealistically optimistic ( hey Ginn might be having a sleep with her eyes open, like Major Payne)

Comment

Originally posted by Ashman View Post
                Funny How Eli is following Daniel in the woman area. One Gould one dead rinse & repeat
                Uhh... I don't see any Goa'ulds for Eli...
                ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Greer could have been called away/eating/sleeping/whatever, all we know is, he wasnt there, neither was Simeons other guard, if this is a plothole its brought the show down a few notches, if they can adequately explain it away then i will forgive.

As long as they didnt do it and hope we would forget about it with the flashy action they give us next week ..

N.C

Comment

No I wondered that, too. That would make him even a bigger creep than he already is.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                      I expected this kind of response. The idiocy was in the scientists and Young not seeing the planetary conditions. You're partially right; it's not a total idiot play since they needed food and Young probably would have ordered the shuttle to go anyway.
                      The transcript for the episode clearly indicated that the ship had locked out the planet. There is no way that Eli, Volker, Brody and Park would not have immediately noticed that Destiny was stopping for a locked out planet and not wondered why. I could see them possibly missing the danger of the atmospheric turbulence arising from the excessive volcanic activity but not the fact that the planet was locked out. It is not plausible. All of them would have immediately noticed it and wondered why and how Destiny was stopping. The only reasonable and credible explanation is if Rush had removed the locked out status from the computer to hide his control of the ship.

Rush was clearly, completely and without a doubt solely responsible for the shuttle incident. Through his conversations with Gloria and Franklin it was clear the ship's AI held Rush responsible and on the alien ship Rush admitted fault when he said it was his mistake.
                      Last edited by Blackhole; 11 November 2010, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        Or do like they did in SGA/SG1 and bring them back...

Yup. And to me, that they give up over something so ''flippant' to me is as much soapy as the act they are moaning about.
                        Spoiler:
                        You consider killing off both Ginn and Amanda flippant?

Comment

If we are to believe the previews for next week's episode, I will be a bit disappointed. I was starting to ship Eli/Ginn but with some reservations. I kept thinking in the back of my mind that Ginn was using Eli, 'playing nice, to the LA advantage'. If she is killed, I think there was a great loss of a potential storyline.
                          No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

You know, from the viewpoint of the Lucian Alliance, Varro and Ginn are traitors, and Simeon might just be a hero.

It's all a matter of perspective. He might be a true blue patriot for the alliance, willing to do anything to keep his fellow prisoners from betraying their plans, and possibly getting fellow alliance members killed.
                            sigpic
                            Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

I just think reaction to those deaths indicates that producers got right into target - Rush will reach bottom with his anger in next episode and we will clearly follow him.

Comment

Originally posted by GateroomGuard View Post
                                Hey it's real life people, it's what SGU is about. People swap bodies with people across the galaxy all the time and get back in touch with an old flame only to be killed by some Space Pirate while in the body of another space pirate, it happens.
                                Yeah and big secrets are always revealed after a scrappy fight as the belligerents lick their wounds and reflect on their actions.

Comment

Working...
                                X