The Ursini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sgc View Post
    Hm.. it actually kind of seems that way, doesn't it? Either way, you do need a written language.
    Not if your race all had photgraphic genetic memories....

Comment

Originally posted by Ekras View Post
      Not if your race all had photgraphic genetic memories....
      Hm... touche... Well, if you want to share your knowledge with other races, then you need a written language. Either that or the periodic table of the elements .

Comment

or head-grabbing and brain-eating thing on the wall.
        Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
          The Furlings are out there!
          So is The Truth, which is exactly what Destiny's looking for.
          ...oh, crap. X-FileSGU.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Hm... touche... Well, if you want to share your knowledge with other races, then you need a written language. Either that or the periodic table of the elements .
            genetic memory is not something you'll evolve. you'd have to be advanced to create it for yourself.

why not? what evolutionary use does it have? none.

what evolutionary disadvantages does it have?

-it unnecesarily increases the amount of DNA. thus more data to copy, thus more energy and resources need to be spent to replicate.

-more DNA means more prone to mutation. this is bad

-did i mention the energy cost?

besides do you really want your kid to have your memories? i sure hope the kid doesn't get major traumas.

lastly, if every member has genetic memory, the increase of DNA would increase.

if your body, has, say, 1000 units of DNA crucial to it's functioning.

your memory takes up 10 units of DNA.

thus you have 1010 units of DNA memory.

you produce a kid with your wife. the 1000 DNA units form two packages of 500 DNA units, plus your memories, thus 510 DNA units.

your wife does the same, 500 + 500 = 1000 so the kid has all functioning DNA.
            plus 2x10=20 DNA units of memory. thus 1020.

your kid has kids with someone who also has those 1020 units. cue a kid with 1040 units of DNA, 40 of which are memory.

those have kids. this is the third generation and your kids have 80 DNA units of memory, an 8-fold increase from the original.

worse, this increases exponentially since the memory is perfect.

so the 4th generation has 1160 units of DNA, the 5th 1320, the 6th has 1640 units of DNA, the 7th has 2280 units of DNA.

so the 7th has more memory than necessary body function. after this, it gets worse and worse, the 8th will have 2x more memory DNA than necessary body function DNA.

although these are arbitrary numbers, they clearly show why perfect genetic memory is such a bad idea. with every generation that information doubles.

worst of the worst, that information has to be stored inside the brain. not just as a highly efficient data compression called DNA but as actual neuron pathways.

wonder why the Asgard's brains are so big?

so no perfect genetic memory is not feasible.

written language is crucial to everything and anything, wheter it's the record keeping or the information sharing part. there are things like signs, which are a language on their own, but those signs have signs under them with clarification, like a No Parking sign with a sign saying "only on Tuesdays"

also there's the fact that a picture says more than a thousand words, and how a written clarification is crucial to that.

written language is the core of information sharing and recording, whether it's the spreading of school books, manuals or fabrication drawings.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaeb View Post
              First of all, not a big fan of the name, just the sound of it doesn't really do anything for me.

Secondly, why didn't Telford and the aliens just write text in Ancient to communicate with one another?

I had hoped the Seed ship would return and we'd have more ships traveling with us through the series, Destiny building itself it's own fleet would be pretty spectacular tbh.

Other than that what do you guys think of their involvement in the series so far, their look, and their place in this episode etc. etc.

I don't really like the name either, it makes them sound like bears, or like the scientific names for bear species.

It'd be fine to have them as a main enemy if the audience can see them, but i don't think we will see them a lot due to the fact that the special effects money they need to show them every episode probably isn't there. Even in Resurgance all we really got was glimpses of them and they were supposedly playing a prominent role in the story.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                genetic memory...
                <snipped for length>
                The goa'uld had genetic memory.
                sigpic

Comment

Firstly, I am happy that we finally have some alien aliens in the show! Not a big fan of the blue aliens to be honest! Everyone keeps saying that the Ursini are meant ot be our allies but something just seems a bit of to me. Young was very careful last week when the others returned that were left on the planet but was quite happy to allow Telford back. I really like having Telford back but something just seems a bit fishy to me - he also seems different but maybe that is just me! I just wonder if the Ursini will turn out to be some baddies too - a twist such as they invented the drone machine and lost control of them and have to defeat them....but I guess we shall see! Last 4 episodes or so I think have been great. Need the next episode!!!
                  Those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made unto dust.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Primus Commander Woden View Post
                    Firstly, I am happy that we finally have some alien aliens in the show! Not a big fan of the blue aliens to be honest! Everyone keeps saying that the Ursini are meant ot be our allies but something just seems a bit of to me. Young was very careful last week when the others returned that were left on the planet but was quite happy to allow Telford back. I really like having Telford back but something just seems a bit fishy to me - he also seems different but maybe that is just me! I just wonder if the Ursini will turn out to be some baddies too - a twist such as they invented the drone machine and lost control of them and have to defeat them....but I guess we shall see! Last 4 episodes or so I think have been great. Need the next episode!!!
                    Well, people usually don't like the enemy. What is it that you think is off about the judgment of the Ursini and about Telford? Also, JM confirmed that the Ursini did not invent the drones IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                    X