No announcement yet.

The attack on Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wondering if Atlantis is still in on Earth? One thing I just thought of was that the Atlantis probably had very advance scanners (even had very long range scanners that can detect hive ships across the galaxy) and the ancients have cloaking technology. It makes sense that the ancients probably have some form of anti-cloaking scanners so Atlantis may be able to detect a cloaked transport.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkyire View Post
      - Killing tens of millions of people.

- Causing mass hysteria.
      Ultimately pointless as far as LA goals are concerned. The Earth has 7+ BILLION people. Tens of millions won't make a dent, and hysteria won't detract from the trained men and women of the SGC.

- Causing huge amounts of money, manpower and resources to go into rebuilding/helping survivors. Money that might be taken away from the SGC.
      Incredibly unlikely. Earth has a lot of wealth, and if the LA is ingrained well enough in our society to even consider that, they'd dismiss it out of hand because no disaster has ever taken money away from the military (or secret ops). Look, perhaps you haven't been a military leader, but when you make an attack, you need to make it one that actually damages your opponent's ability to make war. That means facilities, supply depots, troops masses. Attacking population centers only works if you have severe overwhelming firepower and there is very little chance your opponent can fight back. Then it works greatly as a fear deterrent.

- Causing the SCG to rethink their attacks on the LA. ie. if the SGC attacks the LA again, the LA might bomb another city killing millions more people.
      We're talking about the planet that took down the Goa'uld, the replicators, AND the Ori. If Earth didn't bow to the superior power of those, they ain't gonna bow to terrorist bombing. Again, it would be real stupid of the LA to think this.

Comment

Very sound arguments as far as "normal" wars are concerned Kaiphantom. The lucian alliance seems to be more of a criminal organisation than a country / regular power though. So it isn't that unlikely that they would resort to terrorism and guerilla warfare.

In fact I would think it's a much more likely scenario that they use terrorism and covert ops than it is for them to actually show up with a few Ha'tak (which would probably be destroyed by earths superior technology anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by Selina View Post
          Very sound arguments as far as "normal" wars are concerned Kaiphantom. The lucian alliance seems to be more of a criminal organisation than a country / regular power though. So it isn't that unlikely that they would resort to terrorism and guerilla warfare.

In fact I would think it's a much more likely scenario that they use terrorism and covert ops than it is for them to actually show up with a few Ha'tak (which would probably be destroyed by earths superior technology anyway).
          Yeah, I really don't see a straight up frontal assault here, for so many reasons.
          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Ya I really don't understand why they're worried about it, like the 304s in unending could take out an ori ship without too much trouble, surely a hatak would be one shot and boom... so it would have to be some sort of covert assault, but even then what could it be that Earth couldn't overcome, like by the end of SG1/SGA we're basically more powerful then the asgard, only with no replicators or genetic problems. If I had to guess, its something along the lines of planting LA people on earth, like we've already seen them do, and then plant some explosives, or take out some of the top people... simultaneously hit their defenses from the inside and from the ouside. Col. Telford was brainwashed, its very possible others have too.
            I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Wow....you people are scaring me with all this info....it would really be THAT easy to wipe ourselves out with Nukes...haha.

And dang, I didn't realize how many ways the little old Lucian Alliance could wipe out all life on Earth. Space gangs really are scary. But I definitely agree that SG1 or someone would once again single-handedly defeat their forces right before they could do any of this stuff, hehe.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                Ultimately pointless as far as LA goals are concerned. The Earth has 7+ BILLION people. Tens of millions won't make a dent, and hysteria won't detract from the trained men and women of the SGC.

You don't know what the LA goals are any more than the rest of us. All we know is there is an impending attack. Where, when and why is pure speculation.

Incredibly unlikely. Earth has a lot of wealth, and if the LA is ingrained well enough in our society to even consider that, they'd dismiss it out of hand because no disaster has ever taken money away from the military (or secret ops). Look, perhaps you haven't been a military leader, but when you make an attack, you need to make it one that actually damages your opponent's ability to make war. That means facilities, supply depots, troops masses. Attacking population centers only works if you have severe overwhelming firepower and there is very little chance your opponent can fight back. Then it works greatly as a fear deterrent.

My entire post was in response to someone else asking why they would attack cities. I never said they would. I was talking about possible repercussions if they did.

We're talking about the planet that took down the Goa'uld, the replicators, AND the Ori. If Earth didn't bow to the superior power of those, they ain't gonna bow to terrorist bombing. Again, it would be real stupid of the LA to think this.
                All in straight up fights. The LA might not use the same "Hurr we'll just attack you head on" approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Selene1212 View Post
                  That would actually be pretty epic and resolve a bunch of stuff people have been complaining about. (Journeys back to Earth through the stones, etc) I like it. Has any other SciFi show successfully destroyed Earth?
                  I think it could really breath new life into the franchise too, it would certainly make SGA better, not having the IOA looking over their shoulders their shoulders putting in new leadership every 14 seconds, basically put a bit of an SGU spin into SGA, plus it could lead onto a new spin off, about whats left from Earth, establishing a new society, basically searching all the planets that O'neil put in the database way back in the fifth race (i.e. the planets that the LA wouldn't have addys for) for one that would suit as a new Earth, out of reach of their enemies

Though I like the comm stone based stories in SGU and the political aspect from Earth..
                  I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

You don't know what the LA goals are any more than the rest of us. All we know is there is an impending attack. Where, when and why is pure speculation.
                    Ah, but you see, we can speculate and divine possible reasons. And so far, all the reasons we've come up with have the problem of the cost vastly outweighing the benefits; ie, a stupid decision. Could they come up with a better reason that we didn't think about? Of course. But until then, it will definitely sound like a stupid idea.

All in straight up fights. The LA might not use the same "Hurr we'll just attack you head on" approach.
                    Funny, because the LA attacked Icarus in the straight head-on approach; and that was with a man on the inside!

Comment

Earth also has one major defence against attack, Arthurs mantle.... That nifty phasing device that sam used to phase an alternate earth years back.... im pretty sure when she returned the earth government would have worked out a way to easily power the device to phase the planet at will... hell since the chair was destroyed at area 51 they have a full ZPM sitting around doing nothing, they could easly use that to power the mantle device probably for years...

In short the alliance shows up at earth and the planet phases leaving atlantis and the 5 304's we have to mop up the mess....

But im pretty sure TPTB will forget about the cool device that makes earth completely invincible

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                        Ah, but you see, we can speculate and divine possible reasons. And so far, all the reasons we've come up with have the problem of the cost vastly outweighing the benefits; ie, a stupid decision. Could they come up with a better reason that we didn't think about? Of course. But until then, it will definitely sound like a stupid idea.

Funny, because the LA attacked Icarus in the straight head-on approach; and that was with a man on the inside!
                        Well in that case they succeeded.

Comment

Well in that case they succeeded.
                          Sure, they blew up the planet they were trying to capture and lost their entire invading force and orbital support. Great success there. /sarcasm

That was an epic failure on their part. "Sure, let's bombard the highly unstable planet."

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            how about straight out ignoring the 304's in orbit and just directly targeting cities?
                            or what about a sizeable fleet of Al'kesh. we don't have anything that can effectively fight them. it has shields, so railguns are useless and our APBW's cant really hit them. and missiles well they won't be THAT effective
                            I would have a geekgasm if we saw a fleet of Al'kesh bombing major cities! Kinda like the Al'kesh flyby we say in Continuum, but with energy blasts!

I think the 'cloaked ship with nukes' route is the most obvious and potentially effective. What I'd love to see is the LA send a device through the Stargate using the IDC of another SGC member they've brainwashed, a device that takes out our stargate, the SGC and much of the surrounding area... THEN the Al'kesh start bombing!

I couldn't bear it if the LA damaged Atlantis.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

All the reasons for why we'd be so great at defending ourselves are that much more incentive for why the LA would want to attack us. They want our stuff: Atlantis, Arthur's Mantle, our fleet of ships.

It may be more of a raid -looting, theft- than annihilation. Or it could be part of a plan to win by attrition.

Honestly all the reasons for why an LA faction wouldn't want to assault Earth are meaningless. War is a human endeavor and like humans it can be very illogical, even self defeating.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                                Sure, they blew up the planet they were trying to capture and lost their entire invading force and orbital support. Great success there. /sarcasm

That was an epic failure on their part. "Sure, let's bombard the highly unstable planet."

They took on Earth forces head on, and said Earth forces were defeated. ie the LA were successful with that.

I never said their actual mission was successful.

Regardless of the LA's mission objectives, they proved that they're not weak. Careless, but not weak.
                                Last edited by Zkyire; 18 November 2010, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X