No announcement yet.

The attack on Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the Stargate franchise, when did we first hear about / discover there even is a Lucien Alliance? I've watched a bunch of SG1 & SGA now but have watched reruns out of order, etc so its like putting together a big puzzle.

Comment

Originally posted by Selene1212 View Post
      In the Stargate franchise, when did we first hear about / discover there even is a Lucien Alliance? I've watched a bunch of SG1 & SGA now but have watched reruns out of order, etc so its like putting together a big puzzle.
      Late 8th SG-1 season. 12th episode actually. So says GW omnipedia anyway.
      sigpic
      - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Season eight, episode twelve, Prometheus Unbound, had two aliens guys who later got retconned into being Lucian Alliance come episode four of season nine. The Alliance wasn't name-checked until Vala explained them to the team.
        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
          Late 8th SG-1 season. 12th episode actually. So says GW omnipedia anyway.
          Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
          Season eight, episode twelve, Prometheus Unbound, had two aliens guys who later got retconned into being Lucian Alliance come episode four of season nine. The Alliance wasn't name-checked until Vala explained them to the team.
          Thanks guys. I'm guessing those are the 2006/2007 episodes. I'll have to check my DVR for those particular eps. (I've got over 70 unviewed Stargate eps stored on there!)

Comment

i'd reccoment NOT watching SG1's episodes of the LA. you'll never be able to take SGU's seriously again.

as to an attack on earth.

MY GOD THE LACK OF IMAGINATION.

ONE nuke to wipe out half a continent. whacha think happens when the LA sneaks into earth's Mark IX storage facility and sets them off. extrapolating from a certain nuke really testing, you would be able to flatten every building in a 5000 or so kilometer radius, the shockwave would go round the earth some 3000 times, the heat and light would even let the Inuit get a sunburn.

global warming? instant flooding if you set off one of our copyous amounts of nukes at the arctic.

standard BC-304 nuke? 1000 Mt. AKA 200 Tsara Bombas. Mark IX is supposed to be around a factor 10 worse.

remember First Strike, nuking asuras? that, but then on earth.

let alone the large stashes of naquahdah which so easily fission when close to a regular nuke. contact any of the dozen or so earth-like planets with nuclear technology in the milkyway, get a dozen or so nukes, put them in Tel'tak, fill the tel'tak with naquahdah (even ore will suffice), and watch the earth light up like the 4th of july.

and that's just nukes. given how long the LA apparently has been planning this, there's a possibility the LA will just appear in orbit, all 304's get a simultaneous system crash, and they self-destruct. or worse, get captured. or a bunch of tel'tak decloak in the hangar bay. or one of the many nukes on a 304 suddenly go off.

there are so many scenarios in which the LA easily deals with earth. believing in the power of our alien tech is madness.

Comment

Ships? No way. Terrorist acts, yeah, that's possible.

The whole big problem with this is that the LA shouldn't want Earth's attention on them. Even if they mount a successful attack, I'd imagine it would be something like Pearl Harbor. Yeah, great job, you did a lot of damage... but you just awoke a giant. You don't smack a beehive with a stick.

The LA should be ignoring Earth, mostly. There are plenty of other resources and planets out there, that Earth shouldn't be a concern. Earth can't police the whole galaxy. Sure, Earth may have some nice tech, but for what the LA rules over and the leftover Goa'uld tech they have, it should be fine.

But honestly, it feels more like they'll attempt it with ships. After all, they did a standard attack on Icarus, not using anything special. If they did have something special, or more forces, they would have taken Icarus fairly easily.

Comment

Can someone explain to me how the LA got into the picture anyway? And how are they so big and bad? What do they want to destroy earth for anyway?

Comment

I'm guessing they will probably want to infiltrate Earth and gain control. Its the only thing that really makes any sense to me. (With my limited knowledge)

Comment

The fact that it only seems to be one clan in the alliance that is orchestrating this attack, would suggest that it is probably going to be some sort of guerrilla attack, maybe using a smuggled in bomb/s approach or something. This clan's purpose though might be to antagonize earth in such a manner as to draw more of the clans in on the conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by powerdbygarrett View Post
                      Can someone explain to me how the LA got into the picture anyway? And how are they so big and bad? What do they want to destroy earth for anyway?
                      After the gould were removed from power, they left a good deal of ships, tech, and weapons behind. The LA were thieves, mercenaries, smugglers, and other criminals who got a hold of them. They were explained in SG1 season 9. Think of them like an organized crime syndicate on a much larger scale. From what we have learned from SG1 and SGU, they are still more crimelord/warlord driven than an actual government body. As we saw in SG1 individual member controlled territory. By the looks of it that hasn't changed. It doesn't appear to be the entire alliance that is planning the attack, but a distinct faction of them.

Comment

I'm not really buying cloaked cargo ships full of nukes hitting cities and stuff like that.

No the fact that the LA actually knew of Destiny and were researching into ancient tech I think they plan to use something considerably more sinister. And we don't know exactly everything Ginn told homeworld security. Maybe she told of certain tech they have found/use that even a fleet of 304's wouldn't stand a chance.

Also I think the whole story is just a convenient story to tie in the LA and various episodes... But I think it works and will be interesting to see how it pans out, and maybe see some epic battle over Earth in the foreseable future.

Comment

The SGC is worried because any attack on Earth risks revealing to the planet the existance of aliens. Considering the LA have been operating on Earth for some time, they most likely know that not everyone knows of the stargate programme. How pissed of do you think the rest of the world will be when they find out that the US have ships that can destroy planets. Any attack that blows the cover of the stargate programme would leave the planet in such chaos that being able to mount an effective counter-attack in time.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Originally posted by PJO3434 View Post
                            Why is Homeworld Security so concerned about a Lucian Alliance attack of Earth? With the complement of 304s that Earth has, we should have no problem repelling any attack they can wage. If they come in force, it should allow us to wipe them out (since new Hataks are no longer being built).

Additionally, if we can get the Free Jaffa to park a few motherships in the solar system, they would even make victory more certain.

Personally, I would love to see an episode where the LA attack Earth, and I would love to see us capture a few Hataks from them if possible.
                            I don't think they're as concerned about the overall attack per-se, but rather any sort of covert attack.

Meaning that they're worried about any LA people being able to set anything up from within using smaller forces, than one massive Fleet attack. Not only would it risk exposing SGC and Homeworld Security, but also do potentially a lot of damage before anything could be scrambled together as Defense.

Comment

Well, I wonder if this will be shown in the SG U series or will be another DVD movie for SG 1 and Atlantis to team up to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                                Ships? No way. Terrorist acts, yeah, that's possible.

The whole big problem with this is that the LA shouldn't want Earth's attention on them. Even if they mount a successful attack, I'd imagine it would be something like Pearl Harbor. Yeah, great job, you did a lot of damage... but you just awoke a giant. You don't smack a beehive with a stick.

The LA should be ignoring Earth, mostly. There are plenty of other resources and planets out there, that Earth shouldn't be a concern. Earth can't police the whole galaxy. Sure, Earth may have some nice tech, but for what the LA rules over and the leftover Goa'uld tech they have, it should be fine.

But honestly, it feels more like they'll attempt it with ships. After all, they did a standard attack on Icarus, not using anything special. If they did have something special, or more forces, they would have taken Icarus fairly easily.
                                Earth has become a power house in the galaxy. I can see why LA would want to eliminate the threat that Earth presents to them. They already have captured our most powerful space battleship and they are still a threat. Terrorists’ organizations are very difficult to destroy just look at our war on terror.

Your Pear Harbor analogy certainly has merit and a direct attack on Earth with ships would be foolish and unnecessary and certainly would result in the Earth focusing our entire resources on a reprisal. Most people forget just how powerful the SG-1 universe weapons are. If all LA wanted to do was destroy us then it would be a relatively simple matter to wipe out all life on the planet. Let us say they only use one 1200 megaton naquadah-enhanced nuclear warhead - one similar to the one that was used in Failsafe. At the time, for SG-1 it was the most powerful warhead ever created, the equivalent of 1.2 billion tons of TNT. At the Goa’uld's level of technology, which the LA have access to, constructing one is probably child's play. All they have to do is fly it to Earth in a cloaked cargo ship and blow it up. The atomic bomb dropped on Nagasaki was about 20 kilotons. It wiped out a major city. The bomb they used in Failsafe was 1200 megatons. It would be equivalent to 60,000 Nagasaki bombs. I am not a physicist but I strongly suspect one going off anywhere on the planet would be an extinction level event. Those surviving the direct explosion would die from the nuclear winter created shortly thereafter. Hey, if LA wanted overkill and didn’t want to waste a cargo ship then they could just have it ring down a couple on opposite sides of the planet. Simultaneous detonations - game over for Earth - the threat and any possible reprisals to LA eliminated.

To address the original question posed by this thread – yes, Earth should be gravely worried about what LA might do.
                                Last edited by Blackhole; 17 November 2010, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X