This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    Doesn't FTL kind of make a blockade kind of pointless?
    If you keep the gate active or hit the ship with enough gamma radiation, FTL becomes a moot point.

Comment

Well I thought one difference between FTL and FTl/Hyperspace is hyperspace can in essence travel through something (like the astroid that went through Earth) but in pure FTL you have to avoid large objects (think Millennium Falcon - Harrison Ford in Star Wars)...just a thought.

Also, an alien race could be blocking all the gates or something.
      sigpic

Comment

i think this episode is probably gonna be based around the concept of the phrase "running the gauntlet" as mentioned above. based on the fact that the previous episode is being called Blockade, i think we may run into some race that has technology that can disable FTL technology, maybe using a special type of pulse wepeon or through the use of special ships, like the Interdictors in Star Wars and they basically block the Destiny's path and the episode is about evading them. just my intial theory based upon the title
        Enjoying Stargate's Technobabble since 1997

If you like the Gateworld podcast be sure to listen the The 5th Race Podcast for a fan's view of the Stargate Franchise! and join the forums while you at it![/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
          Well I thought one difference between FTL and FTl/Hyperspace is hyperspace can in essence travel through something (like the astroid that went through Earth) but in pure FTL you have to avoid large objects (think Millennium Falcon - Harrison Ford in Star Wars)...just a thought.

Also, an alien race could be blocking all the gates or something.
          At this point, we really have no idea how Destiny's FTL works. I'm guessing that since normal space is visible in FTL that Destiny is supposed to be travelling in some sort of bubble of spacetime (which would also account for the lack of relativistic effects), but even then I have no idea how it would interact with things in normal space, and even this it's still massively speculative...

Comment

I hope destiny blockades the Smurf world and eats them.

I don't know why but I seem to be obsessed with some crew members eventually eating some of the aliens they come across.
            Tst

Comment

FTL doesn't prevent a blockade being a problem. I didn't mean the blockade to just be a large stationary object... A bunch of ships or whatever can chase and attack Destiny wherever it goes, preventing the ship to reach its destination (a bit like when the smurfs had a tracking device on the ship/Rush). That is 'running a gauntlet'.

Perhaps this would link in to
              Spoiler:
              the battlefield that Eli apparantly sees in S2 somewhere?
              sigpic

Comment

"The Hero's Gauntlet" level from Hercules video-game comes to mind, with all the the running, and the obstacles and all that....
                "Gegen diesen Idioten muss ich verlieren!" (A. Nimzowitsch)

Comment

I think it might be similar to Star Trek's "Encounter at Farpoint", except the aliens are organic and use technology. If so, I'm hoping it's the "Faith" aliens. Maybe they feel the need to test the Destiny crew, to make sure they're up to the task.

Comment

Methinks Gauntlet (being part 2/a follow on from Blockade) will have to deal with the fact Destiny has to run through a blockade of alien ships in order make it to their destination/out of the galaxy/on it's course & will have to run a gauntlet of sorts with all the ship trying to pound the crap out of Destiny (possible spoilers for earlier in S2 :
                    Spoiler:
                    possibly to do with the space battle that may allegedly may happen earlier in the Season
                    )?

We know Destiny is old, & considering how well it fared against only 2 ships from the Smurf aliens last time they were in the void between galaxies, I don't know how it would far against a possible amerada of ships in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by akren View Post
                      Methinks Gauntlet (being part 2/a follow on from Blockade) will have to deal with the fact Destiny has to run through a blockade of alien ships in order make it to their destination/out of the galaxy/on it's course & will have to run a gauntlet of sorts with all the ship trying to pound the crap out of Destiny (possible spoilers for earlier in S2 :
                      Spoiler:
                      possibly to do with the space battle that may allegedly may happen earlier in the Season
                      )?

We know Destiny is old, & considering how well it fared against only 2 ships from the Smurf aliens last time they were in the void between galaxies, I don't know how it would far against a possible amerada of ships in that regard.
                      Sounds about right, but do you think they'll be leaving the current galaxy so soon? I think a blockade would be easy as their course seems to be fairly predictable to anyone intelligent that is looking
                      sigpic

Comment

Rob said they're looking to roughly travel a galaxy per season.

Comment

Actually...

Spoiler:
                          In a recent Collider interview, Rob Cooper said that they're going to cross one galaxy every half-season.

Comment

He says "a new galaxy every season" in that interview. Those bullet points aren't quite right if that's what you were reading.

Comment

I stand corrected. I had listened to the interview before (and I just did again to check), but I must've misheard.

Comment

Update:

Some discussion on the as-yet-untitled (or, more appropriately, once-titled-and-subsequently-untitled) episode 20. Paul is slated to assume the writing duties on this one but that could change depending on how busy he finds himself in the next few weeks.
                                http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...uction-update/

Comment

Working...
                                X