His mom is cured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
    the part in bold is pretty much false actually, as people are trying to tell you. only certain fluids, and only certain methods, are viable for transmission - while you're preaching people can get it from talking to each other.

of course, you believe wikis and tv doctors, so you know better than people like P-J who have the technical specs of the virus memorised. most doctors have only an idea of the details, which is why they neglect to mention saliva at all - because it isn't a viable form of transmission, unless you're kissing the person and have a cut in your mouth. you also tried to tell us all that it's in air, which you're told by others is impossible because it doesn't survive long enough outside the body to transmit that way.

you are distributing mis-information, which has come from professionals clearly not well-versed in the topic, as well as wikis written by the general public who don't have the information needed to claim expertise. i don't either, but i'm pretty much prepared to accept what's been said by the people who clearly do have knowledge of it, and who have more knowledge than my GP does (since he's not dealing with it regularly.)
    Actually, you can find HIV in trace amounts in tears and saliva. However, the amount is so small that the changes of contracting it from tears or saliva is almost zero. The most common way to transmit HIV is through blood, semen, and vaginal fluids. However, I know you know this.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
      Actually, you can find HIV in trace amounts in tears and saliva. However, the amount is so small that the changes of contracting it from tears or saliva is almost zero. The most common way to transmit HIV is through blood, semen, and vaginal fluids. However, I know you know this.
      yep - thats why i said viable for transmission

i mentioned in there that saliva isn't really viable because HIV doesn't last long out of the body, and kissing someone who is infected while having a cut in your mouth is pretty much the only way. it certainly isn't transmittable by just talking to someone, that i ever heard of anyway. and based on info throughout the thread of course

thus why i say most doctors who aren't dealing with it regularly don't know much about it - i suspect if i asked my GP, he'd say its feasible, just because he's not sure. or else that its completely impossible - depends how much exactly he knows
      Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

In any case, I think the question was having to do with whether the HIV virus was likely to be found in any of the original Destiny crew that founded Novus.

Given that all the people on Icarus probably had very careful physicals, they probably all know their HIV status. I think it is unlikely, but I suppose possible, that someone was HIV+.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that Eli, however, would be infected. His mother contracted the virus long after he was born, and simply living in the same house with someone will not give you the virus.

Thus my answer is: unlikely that anyone on Novus carried the HIV virus - it depends on what rules the Stargate program has for health status of off-world expeditions (since everyone on Icarus was off-world).
        sigpic
        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Even though i said the phrase "we all breathe the same air" I didnt mean literally. I just meant we are all not isolated from each other. HIV is not airborne unlike some ebola.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
            In any case, I think the question was having to do with whether the HIV virus was likely to be found in any of the original Destiny crew that founded Novus.

Given that all the people on Icarus probably had very careful physicals, they probably all know their HIV status. I think it is unlikely, but I suppose possible, that someone was HIV+.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that Eli, however, would be infected. His mother contracted the virus long after he was born, and simply living in the same house with someone will not give you the virus.

Thus my answer is: unlikely that anyone on Novus carried the HIV virus - it depends on what rules the Stargate program has for health status of off-world expeditions (since everyone on Icarus was off-world).
            I know military personnel have to be tested. I have several friends in the armed services and they are tested. As far as the civilian contractors, they don't have to be test. However, if they were going off-world...I'm sure that there are protocols in place for medical testing.
            sigpic

Comment

I know military personnel have to be tested. I have several friends in the armed services and they are tested. As far as the civilian contractors, they don't have to be test. However, if they were going off-world...I'm sure that there are protocols in place for medical testing.
              Just got a response from a friend of mine in the USAF. He says that for any type of deployment, for military and civilian personnel, they must be HIV- and have a test to verify their status. If they are HIV+ they are non-deployable.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
                I got this info from a medical person on tv, its a known fact guys. we all breathe the same air, think about that. 0.111 HIV. something like that. totally insignificant. Anything can get into your system easily why not this?
                its possible through very small amounts. When people talk directly at you they spitting saliva, at some point your mouth, nose, eyes will have it in you
                Even though i said the phrase "we all breathe the same air" I didnt mean literally. I just meant we are all not isolated from each other. HIV is not airborne unlike some ebola.
                you actually suggest the idea it can get into the system by breathing. and from talking, just for the record. only now do you say that you didn't mean it literally - shame that you insisted on keeping up such things for so long, despite the amount of times you've been told it was wrong.

its a mystery as it seems at least in its origins since the site you directed me to lists a bunch of theories. And HIV did arrive from space, thats where all viruses came from, the ancients carried a bunch from pegasus.
                since you can accept some of the real-world factors of HIV (like it's not airborne) please, accept that since we haven't been told differently by stargate, it can be assumed that it's the same on-screen. at least until we're told otherwise. and lets let it go at that, shall we?
                Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Just got a response from a friend of mine in the USAF. He says that for any type of deployment, for military and civilian personnel, they must be HIV- and have a test to verify their status. If they are HIV+ they are non-deployable.
                  That's what I thought - thanks for checking!

I think we can extrapolate from "our world" and assume that the Stargate program doesn't deploy HIV+ personnel off-world.
                  sigpic
                  Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                    That's what I thought - thanks for checking!

I think we can extrapolate from "our world" and assume that the Stargate program doesn't deploy HIV+ personnel off-world.
                    I agree. I know Stargate uses Air Force personnel to advise them on such things. So, one would think that the policies would be the same.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
                      since you can accept some of the real-world factors of HIV (like it's not airborne) please, accept that since we haven't been told differently by stargate, it can be assumed that it's the same on-screen. at least until we're told otherwise. and lets let it go at that, shall we?
                      The show has not indicated anything about all viruses being from space except for the plague, and me suggesting such untruth was for the purpose of catching your reaction nothing more. I wouldn't believe something like that unless it was said in the show.

Plus we all know that AIDS originated from US military experiments. <---- not serious.
                      sigpic

Comment

I leave for one day and duneknight gets completely out of control! Guys come on!
                        I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

I agree. I know Stargate uses Air Force personnel to advise them on such things. So, one would think that the policies would be the same.
                          How come they discriminate against ones infected by HIV when the private sector cant?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                            I leave for one day and duneknight gets completely out of control! Guys come on!
                            Its all good...I prayed to St. Ignora and she answered my prayer.
                            sigpic

Comment

He must have been trolling right?
                              I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                                He must have been trolling right?
                                Oh...he went on an on about the ways people can get HIV. Its very long and drawn out.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X