His mom is cured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    This is a nitpick I recall their are a select few antivirals that will kill a virus but on the whole you are right\that a killing of a virus is not possible because of the way they inject themselves into a cell.
    No, you are absolutely right, there are anti-viral medications (and the reason that HIV+ individuals live so much longer now is because of them), but they at best control the outbreak of the virus and don't always completely clear the virus from the system.

An example is taking an antiviral for a cold sore outbreak (caused by one of the herpes viruses) - it will control the outbreak, and knock down the viral population, but you will remain infected with dormant virus in your system (and with the potential for another outbreak).

I think some viruses can be completely cleared, but so far, HIV isn't one of them. Sadly.

I hope for a good treatment (leading to sufficient clearing of the virus so that the person is no longer able to pass on infection and does not go on to full blown AIDS) in my lifetime.
    sigpic
    Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
      For at least the fifth time today...YOU CAN'T GET AIDS...you CAN get HIV...which can develop into AIDS.

HIV didn't come to Earth... its not a space virus. And it wasn't from a monkey, it was from a chimpanzee. Viruses can do what is known as a species jump from one species to another. This is what happened in the case of HIV.

I just honestly feel that you're not reading a bit of the information we've given to you. If you want a good history on HIV and how it jumped to humans...click here.
      its a mystery as it seems at least in its origins since the site you directed me to lists a bunch of theories. And HIV did arrive from space, thats where all viruses came from, the ancients carried a bunch from pegasus.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
        its a mystery as it seems at least in its origins since the site you directed me to lists a bunch of theories. And HIV did arrive from space, thats where all viruses came from, the ancients carried a bunch from pegasus.
        Apparently, we are being punked.

And here I was being all educational and earnest . . .
        sigpic
        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

I just cannot believe you wrote that.

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post

I'm starting to agree with you there...about being punked. This person cannot be serious.
          sigpic

Comment

please tell me you're not going to chuck in SG timelines to a serious discussion on a real-world virus? please??

even if, in the stargate world, you were correct - we have no indication of it. in fact, we don't know that they mated with humans at all - our development of the ATA gene seems to be recent evolution, particularly given a comment by thor. he states that just one generation before o'neill, it would have been impossible for a human mind to have held the repository of ancient knowledge at all.

if we're the product of ancient-HIV, we should be a little more evolved than that, imho. and nowhere - ANYWHERE - has an ancient virus been encountered on earth (with the single exception of the plague, which was cured by the one who was defrosted.)

even on atlantis, our only infection was by a nanovirus aimed at human biology - not ancient biology. yet when that virus broke out, there were several broken containers, that could have held anything. this would suggest to me that ancient viruses were either extremely limited, or non-transmittable to other races. which, you need to remember, we ARE - we're not the descendants of the ancients, we're created by them. a seperate race, with a different genetic structure, and with only some contact with pre-ascension ancients.

as for the real-world origins of HIV, if you can't understand that the evolutionary history of it has been tracked as far as it can be, and that we know as many facts about it as possible (with the exception of how to cure it) then i really don't know what to think. the information is out there, only a concious desire to remain ignorant of the facts prevents people from learning about them.
            Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post

i'll admit, i'd thought that at an early stage, but also thought... well... some ppl take time to understand what they're being told.

on average, the human brain needs to be told something 6 times iirc to be able to take it in properly.

some are faster, some aren't, that's just how it is. sometimes anyway

damn restrictive rep system preventing shiny green things

Comment

And HIV did arrive from space, thats where all viruses came from, the ancients carried a bunch from pegasus.
                sigpic

Comment

Not sure if serious....
                  sigpic
                  LordRush - "Battle stations!" "Marines, Kree!"

Comment

why would i discuss real life viruses in a stargate forum?? this thread is way off. im not curious about AIDS but im curious if SGU was ever gonna address his mom being cured or not since it was a big deal to Eli at some point before he started being an obsessive kino-er.
                    sigpic

Comment

why would i discuss real life viruses in a stargate forum?? this thread is way off. im not curious about AIDS but im curious if SGU was ever gonna address his mom being cured or not since it was a big deal to Eli at some point before he started being an obsessive kino-er.
                      because AIDS is a real-life illness caused by the real-life HIV virus perhaps?

and because wikis, TV doctors and the like are real life sources you're quoting?

if you're not curious about aids, go back to the cave, and believe whatever you want to believe. but please stop trying to misinform people, when you're clearly prepared to ignore the real-world issues surrounding HIV/AIDS.

Comment

Ahhh...the one person on my ignore list now has company!

Dear St. Ignora hear my prayer!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
                          please tell me you're not going to chuck in SG timelines to a serious discussion on a real-world virus? please??

even if, in the stargate world, you were correct - we have no indication of it. in fact, we don't know that they mated with humans at all - our development of the ATA gene seems to be recent evolution, particularly given a comment by thor. he states that just one generation before o'neill, it would have been impossible for a human mind to have held the repository of ancient knowledge at all.

if we're the product of ancient-HIV, we should be a little more evolved than that, imho. and nowhere - ANYWHERE - has an ancient virus been encountered on earth (with the single exception of the plague, which was cured by the one who was defrosted.)

even on atlantis, our only infection was by a nanovirus aimed at human biology - not ancient biology. yet when that virus broke out, there were several broken containers, that could have held anything. this would suggest to me that ancient viruses were either extremely limited, or non-transmittable to other races. which, you need to remember, we ARE - we're not the descendants of the ancients, we're created by them. a seperate race, with a different genetic structure, and with only some contact with pre-ascension ancients.

as for the real-world origins of HIV, if you can't understand that the evolutionary history of it has been tracked as far as it can be, and that we know as many facts about it as possible (with the exception of how to cure it) then i really don't know what to think. the information is out there, only a concious desire to remain ignorant of the facts prevents people from learning about them.
                          Not all ancients ascended i believe, some stayed on earth so its accurate to claim tauri as descendants. But i could be wrong on this one, not on the AIDS thing though, the thing with science is that one little discovery could prompt a whole revision of previously held axioms. I dont think we discovered everything that is everything to do about HIV yet.
                          sigpic

Comment

Not all ancients ascended i believe, some stayed on earth so its accurate to claim tauri as descendants. But i could be wrong on this one, not on the AIDS thing though, the thing with science is that one little discovery could prompt a whole revision of previously held axioms. I dont think we discovered everything that is everything to do about HIV yet.
                            those who didn't ascend died actually - the only survivors were between galaxies. and THAT was because they were experiencing the doppler effect.

humans are explicitly seeded by the ancients using the dakara device. they're not interbred with ancients, they are not the descendants of the ancients. the ancients also clearly held to non-interference - they let people believe what they could do was magic, rather than teaching them advanced tech. mating with such an inferior species was possibly unthinkable, due to the adoration that would have been involved.

you're consistently ignoring the provided information about HIV/AIDS, information which proves you wrong. without information in the stargate world about evolutionary differences, it is assumed that they're at a similar point to us because of a similar evolution to us - for example, the cold war happened in the stargate world (confirmed by kinsey at one point) and presumably most other major events of our histories.

please, stop making a fool of yourself. or at least accept that, on this, you're wrong because you're making assumptions based on no evidence, which are at best disputable and extremely improbable.

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
                              because AIDS is a real-life illness caused by the real-life HIV virus perhaps?

and because wikis, TV doctors and the like are real life sources you're quoting?

if you're not curious about aids, go back to the cave, and believe whatever you want to believe. but please stop trying to misinform people, when you're clearly prepared to ignore the real-world issues surrounding HIV/AIDS.
                              Misinform? I don't think im the one doing the misinforming. HIV is in all fluids of the infected person FACT. It is most concentrated in blood FACT. It can be received from one body to another because its in all fluids but in very tiny amounts and chances are very slim FACT. Thats all i ever claimed, i wasnt trying to be super technically accurate, but these are facts held by well everyone not even disputed. Most doctors tend to veer away from the last FACT because it tends to cause unnecessary paranoia in people.
                              sigpic

Comment

Misinform? I don't think im the one doing the misinforming. HIV is in all fluids of the infected person FACT. It is most concentrated in blood FACT. It can be received from one body to another because its in all fluids but in very tiny amounts and chances are very slim FACT. Thats all i ever claimed, i wasnt trying to be super technically accurate, but these are facts held by well everyone not even disputed. Most doctors tend to veer away from the last FACT because it tends to cause unnecessary paranoia in people.
                                the part in bold is pretty much false actually, as people are trying to tell you. only certain fluids, and only certain methods, are viable for transmission - while you're preaching people can get it from talking to each other.

of course, you believe wikis and tv doctors, so you know better than people like P-J who have the technical specs of the virus memorised. most doctors have only an idea of the details, which is why they neglect to mention saliva at all - because it isn't a viable form of transmission, unless you're kissing the person and have a cut in your mouth. you also tried to tell us all that it's in air, which you're told by others is impossible because it doesn't survive long enough outside the body to transmit that way.

you are distributing mis-information, which has come from professionals clearly not well-versed in the topic, as well as wikis written by the general public who don't have the information needed to claim expertise. i don't either, but i'm pretty much prepared to accept what's been said by the people who clearly do have knowledge of it, and who have more knowledge than my GP does (since he's not dealing with it regularly.)

Comment

Working...
                                X