His mom is cured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goga View Post
    I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not, but the reason it seems like the show was aimed at finding god and cure for ALS is because the show was canceled.
    that makes no sense. whatever i was sarcastic, but had it continued they wouldve brought the AIDS thing up in some episode only to fail and have his mother die, or maybe he does find the right cure and she lives. I dont care for TJ.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
      but AIDS is in saliva? couldnt find proper sources supporting this but heres something:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_AIDS_b...through_saliva

same thing i heard from tv doctors a long time ago, im not a teenager for the people wondering, but i havent reached midway either.
      Okay Im going to clarify this one last time.

The only way Eli could transmit the virus to another person would be if he were infected himself. He's not. Therefore he's not transmitting the virus. At all, the virus can only persist in your body if your infected, you can only pass it on IF you are infected. You can't have the HIV virus in your body and carry it around for years and magically not be infected (well actually there have been cases involving some african sex workers who have had repeated exposure, but that has no relavence here as Eli is not have unprotected sex with his mother on a daily basis)

You can't carry the virus on your clothes and infect someone. You can't carry the virus on your skin and infect someone.

As for the wiki answers thing, your saliva MIGHT contain some virus RNA or other viral components but they aren't infectious.
      I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by goga View Post
        I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not, but the reason it seems like the show was aimed at finding god and cure for ALS is because the show was canceled.
        not, in fact, true - the season had, iirc, finished filming before the cancellation was announced. the storyline we're on atm is the storyline that seems to have been intended for the planned arc, which had a total scale of 5 years.
        but AIDS is in saliva? couldnt find proper sources supporting this but heres something:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_AIDS_b...through_saliva

same thing i heard from tv doctors a long time ago, im not a teenager for the people wondering, but i havent reached midway either.
        i won't pretend to know anything about HIV.

however, i know enough about wiki.answers.com to know it can't be trusted as a source of information. only recently i looked up 'how much blood is in the human body?' try it, and look down at the 'related answers' at the bottom - you'll find several answers. even in the main answer on the page, there seem to be 3 contributors, one of whom is obviously guessing with a 70% answer.

every wiki site i've found so far is updated - mostly or fully - by regular users, not professionals in the field. a friend of mine has actually stopped using another wiki site, wikipedia, because of how regularly he was finding errors on it.

unless you're viewing a website that is produced by someone who clearly and quantifiably knows what they're talking about, you need to take it with caution. even 'professional' websites can be inaccurate. a good example is the panic most people - healthcare professionals included - got into because of swine flu. when the numbers were worked out afterwards, it was no more severe than seasonal flu, at least where i am.

those who are actively studying the topic at present, who have recently completed their studies, or who are actively involved in the relevant line of research often know more about it than doctors who've worked with it without refreshing themselves on the topic on a regular basis. those who have need of the info will retain it better than those who don't use it in their day-to-day work.
        Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

You are all being ludicrous.

The Novusians could easily have a cure for HIV, assuming they cured any virus which the human body couldn't in and of itself cure itself of. Heck, right now in the story line, McKay could program a nanite to hunt down all aids cells and hiv cells and destroy them. Easy as pie. Also, if the novusians could cure a complicated genetic disease like ALS then they could kill something as insignificant as a virus (all HIV and AIDS really are).

Boo ya.
          Und was ich sar war Menschlichkeit...

Und was ich sar war Dummheit
          Menschlicher Neigung entsprechend
          Tiersches Verhalten

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay,
          Vicious

Comment

How are people still arguing this point? Whether the Novans could have cured HIV is a moot point, they didn't because they never encountered it:
            1. As someone earlier stated, if you have HIV you'd probably not be cleared to go offworld
            2. Eli does not even have "small amounts of HIV" from hanging out with his mother, it does not work that way!
            3. Despite all this if one of the initial settlers was HIV positive I imagine they would stay celibate on the new world for fear of spreading it to loved ones or kids, someone on the Icarus mission would know how HIV works
            4. Despite all this if one of the initial settlers was HIV positive and they didn't stay celibate, in a population that small I imagine the virus would quickly wipe out the population OR just the carriers before a cure or medical treatment could be invented.

Comment

Your not serious are you?

Basing an internet argument against someone thats studied the specifics in real life, from something some guy on TV told you ?

N.C

Comment

Wow...I just got a good laugh from this thread and the lack of knowledge that is out there. From what some people posted they should be walking around in body condoms for fear of contracting HIV.

Nth Chevron...I was reading that too. I couldn't believe someone based an argument on a TV doctor. That's worse than using wikipedia as a source of information.
                sigpic

Comment

Are there seriously still people old enough to use computers that don't know that AIDS is caused by the HIV virus?

Methinks our schools are dropping the education ball, in that case.

By the way, there has been not one single documented case of HIV infection via saliva. Blood-blood contact, or semen-blood contact is implicated in all cases of transmission.

Simply living with an HIV-infected individual will not lead to infection.

Here is a good website with facts if anyone out there would like some information - knowledge is your best friend for staying healthy and being wise. And now I'm apparently some sort of public service announcement!

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/default.htm

(The link is to the official HIV information site for Centers for Disease Control (CDC).)
                  sigpic
                  Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                    Are there seriously still people old enough to use computers that don't know that AIDS is caused by the HIV virus?

Methinks our schools are dropping the education ball, in that case.

By the way, there has been not one single documented case of HIV infection via saliva. Blood-blood contact, or semen-blood contact is implicated in all cases of transmission.

Simply living with an HIV-infected individual will not lead to infection.

Here is a good website with facts if anyone out there would like some information - knowledge is your best friend for staying healthy and being wise. And now I'm apparently some sort of public service announcement!

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/default.htm

(The link is to the official HIV information site for Centers for Disease Control (CDC).)
                    Carmencatalina, your friendly neighborhood PSA
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                      Carmencatalina, your friendly neighborhood PSA
                      You know, it never hurts to spread a little knowledge!

The internet CAN be a great source of information, you just need to be picky about where you get your information from! (I stay away from just using wiki, in general.)
                      sigpic
                      Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

lol, did i ever say you could contract AIDS from touching or salvia? no i did not ever say that. I said you get AIDS in your system the same way you pick up all the micro garbage around you. It doesnt affect you and most likely is not detected. I dont care for learnin much about AIDS same way I dont care for other million diseases out there. I lived in AIDS stricken african countries most of my childhood and the only education that I got was how preventable the disease actually is and how hard it is to get it.
                        sigpic

Comment

lol, did i ever say you could contract AIDS from touching or salvia? no i did not ever say that. I said you get AIDS in your system the same way you pick up all the micro garbage around you. It doesnt affect you and most likely is not detected.
                          Ummm...no you can't. And you don't get AIDS in your system. AIDS is a result of the HIV virus. In addition, HIV is a very fragile virus. It cannot live long outside of the body. It needs blood or semen to be spread from one person to another. So, you can't just pick it up like "micro garbage."

How do you get HIV?
                          HIV is transmitted through contact with the blood, semen, vaginal fluid or breast milk of someone already infected with HIV. It is most commonly spread through unprotected sex or during injection drug use, when needles or other drug paraphernalia are shared. The virus needs a human body to survive. It cannot live for very long outside the body.

Source: San Francisco AIDS Foundation
                          Last edited by LtColCarter; 28 April 2011, 08:38 AM. Reason: type-o correction
                          sigpic

Comment

lol, did i ever say you could contract AIDS from touching or salvia? no i did not ever say that. I said you get AIDS in your system the same way you pick up all the micro garbage around you. It doesnt affect you and most likely is not detected.
                            listen to Puddle-Jumper, the guy studying it.

if it's in you, you're infected - there's no 'carrier' version of it, it's active or it's not there.

he states that, yes, it may be possible to have the RNA of it in saliva - but makes clear the infection itself is not present with that.

in other words - no, it isn't possible for eli to be carrying HIV.

as for the idea of carrying a disease that can't be detected - we know what HIV is, we know how to detect it. it's not some mystery to us - so if someone is infected, it's able to be found.

you're trying to suggest that practically everyone is carrying HIV (both on-screen and in the real world - on-screen they're breathing eli's air, real world we don't know who is infected) - this is clearly wrong, as otherwise it could theoretically activate in anyone, anytime.

other diseases can actually be spread by air, without any physical contact - but HIV, from what i'm seeing in this thread, requires it to do its job. just because tv or wiki communities suggest commonly-held myths are facts, doesn't mean they are.

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                              Ummm...no you can't. And you don't get AIDS in your system. AIDS is a result of the HIV virus. In addition, HIV is a very fragile virus. I cannot live long outside of the body. It needs blood or semen to be spread from one person to another. So, you can't just pick it up like "micro garbage."

How do you get HIV?
                              HIV is transmitted through contact with the blood, semen, vaginal fluid or breast milk of someone already infected with HIV. It is most commonly spread through unprotected sex or during injection drug use, when needles or other drug paraphernalia are shared. The virus needs a human body to survive. It cannot live for very long outside the body.

Source: San Francisco AIDS Foundation
                              bah, can't green

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
                                bah, can't green
                                Its the thought that counts!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X