Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ENOUGH ALREADY with the sappy song montages!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is probably the only thing I don't like about the way the show is going right now.

I guess that means the how is going pretty well but damn are these ****ty montages ever persistent and annoying.

Granted a booming orchestral score is going to be just as inappropriate as this cheesy soft rock nonsense, but a nice understated one that really drives home the isolation and cold vastness of the universe out there would do nothing but enhance the atmosphere.

Leave the cheesy soft rock back on the lamer parts of Earth where it belongs, we don't need to be provoking any more intergalactic wars.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
      Heh, it's amazing how much this pops up in every fandom I've been a part of. There are always people who go "Stop talking! Your opinion isn't valid nor welcome! Mostly because it's negative and you can't have a negative opinion cuz the series is perfect and it somehow hurts me when someone points out valid criticism!"

A lot of people are taking the time and effort to post their opinions, and everyone's opinion is valid here. I don't see anything wrong with it.

But yes, perhaps TPTB should listen to the minority of fans. That's a great way to keep a show going and... hey, where did the majority of the fanbase go? Now the show will be canceled!
      I get your point, however I think where Evilgrin is coming from is that this argument pops up pretty much after every ep of SGU.
      sigpic

Comment

It occurs to me that perhaps "Freakin' at the Freaker's Ball" may not convey the sense of poignancy that TPTB might wish, so another Dr. Hook song may be substituted in certain circumstances for emotional effect, namely, "You Make My Pants Want to Get Up and Dance."

This song will be especially heart-wrenching if Rush and Young are sharing a scene.

I, for absolutely the last time, have spoken.
        Boobies!

Comment

More musical montages, please!
          Sig by Pandora's Box
          sigpic

Comment

Since there is that military aspect of SGU (as there was with SG1 and SGA). When I went through basic, to be in the Army Band, one of the peeves about that experience was the LACK of music. The only time you heard any was in chow, where you're basically rushed through in ten minutes. And at church, if you went to church. So from the typical american lifestyle of two hours of radio in your car while going to/from work/school. Maybe three more more hours of TV PER DAY. To maybe thirty minutes total of soft background musak per DAY and NO TV. I guess what I'm saying is I like the montage. Even if the choice is off. It helps keep it different from most other things out there. From one POV the montage gives us more music in an hour than some of the so called MUSIC channels.

Comment

Personally, I think they really add something great at the end of an episode; assuming they pick the right song and it's edited properly. I thought the ending for 'Intervention' was fantastic. It really caught the mood perfectly for me.

Although, I do think the most recent montage (Awakening) was quite weak. It felt out of place and random to me. I think Joel's score would have worked much better, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by RamblerReb View Post
                Very well. There still seems to be some contention on this issue amongst the fans. So, in addition to "Who Wants to Live Forever" and "Freakin' at the Freaker's Ball," they can use "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot. BUT ONLY IF THE STORY ABSOLUTELY CALLS FOR IT!!!

I, for the last time, have spoken.
                Moar green!
                I'd also suggest the last bit of Prism's Armageddon, but only when the storyline calls for it

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post

Using a montage allows TPTB to sumarise each of the characters feelings in one go. Many of which are characters we might not neccesarily see much of. Sure alot of these montages come off looking the same as everyone just sort of goes about their daily lives seemingly brooding about how much they hate it on Destiny, but to me it is still more than that, and I find I can pick up on a alot of little details and analyze plenty of little looks and nudges within all the characters in just a minute or two of footage.....not to mention listen to some very moving music (usually) while I'm at it.
                yep, it's show, don't tell

putting all of this stuff together gives a glimpse of life on the Destiny, all the little crap that would be mind-numbing to talk about or that only becomes meaningful when all the pieces add up

having a bit of dialogue every time chloe looks at her leg non-wound or having dialogue every time Young takes a drink or Brody talking about wow, that's another bottle would get old pretty fast and cut into time for meaningful dialogue, so bring on the montages

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                More musical montages, please!
                a musical episode
                that is all
                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Its nice to feature them once in a while, but having them every episode really diminishes their effect over time. I would much rather have some dialogue between characters.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                    Its nice to feature them once in a while, but having them every episode really diminishes their effect over time. I would much rather have some dialogue between characters.
                    +1

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                      +1

Plus if they don't buy songs it saves them a little money to use on more interesting things.

Comment

In response to underwhelming feedback, I am obliged to conclude that, on certain rare, very specific occasions, such as the deaths of secondary characters for no special reason except to expose chinks (I know, I know, we can't say "chinks" anymore) in plot armor, another, especially emotive song must be used for the reflective "there but for the grace for God and the writers' whims go I" obligatory montage. The approved song for this endeavor shall be "Old Dogs and Children and Watermelon Wine," by Tom T. Hall. NO OTHER SONG IS CLEARED FOR THIS PURPOSE!!!

I, for the absolutely 100% last time, have spoken.
                        Boobies!

Comment

Originally posted by RamblerReb View Post
                          In response to underwhelming feedback, I am obliged to conclude that, on certain rare, very specific occasions, such as the deaths of secondary characters for no special reason except to expose chinks (I know, I know, we can't say "chinks" anymore) in plot armor, another, especially emotive song must be used for the reflective "there but for the grace for God and the writers' whims go I" obligatory montage. The approved song for this endeavor shall be "Old Dogs and Children and Watermelon Wine," by Tom T. Hall. NO OTHER SONG IS CLEARED FOR THIS PURPOSE!!!

I, for the absolutely 100% last time, have spoken.
                          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Yeah, definitely the song montages at the end is getting very old. I think it takes a lot from the episode. Specially after seeing a great episode like Awakening, the song kill the mood at the end. I think a bit of music not an entire montage will be more effective and hopefully not in all the episodes. A good mystery at the end, some kind of shock will have a great effect in the end and left people wanting to see the other episode.
                            They hit us with guns, bazookas, tear gas, tanks, APVs, helicopters, rockets. I'm pretty sure at least one of them used really harsh language.
                            --Markus--

Comment

Agree or disagree?

Those who want the montages or more often will watch if there are fewer.

Those who feel strong negatives toward the optional music may not tune in again.

The safer choice seems to be less, not more.

Comment

Originally posted by Corona View Post
                                Agree or disagree?

Those who want the montages or more often will watch if there are fewer.

Those who feel strong negatives toward the optional music may not tune in again.

The safer choice seems to be less, not more.
                                Heh, agree. Was a point I tried to make awhile ago. ;p

Comment

Working...
                                X