Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ENOUGH ALREADY with the sappy song montages!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RamblerReb View Post
    Honestly? If they're going to use a music montage at the end of every show, it should always be "Who Wants to Live Forever," by Queen. Every time. But different bits of the song, depending on the mood.

Otherwise, music montages suck. They're an excuse to get out of writing good dialogue.
    I agree

Comment

It really dumbfounds me aswell, since Joel Goldsmith has proven not onl with SGU but with all his other work that he can emotionally undertone the hell out of any scene, and he has established great themes for SGU already, so it's beyond me why they are wasting his talent.
      Also, as mentioned already, songs cost for licensing, how much exactly i don't know, but i can'timagine it's pennies, especially if they are planning to have it on a DVD release aswell as that gets counted, so it won't be cheap. Think how much each time they have spent on a song, when they could have had JG compose a (more) effective piece of music, and save the money/have the money for something else that will be of better use. If they had more money spare to budget with, would we have had 'Life' in season 1? It was IMO a bottle episode shot on a minimal budget and was obviously 'filler'.

Comment

I'm gonna repost something that someone else said in other forum, to kind of a different topic. But I believe it can apply here:

"Or perhaps the genius that was Joss Whedon. Firefly was pure art. The actors cast were perfect for their roles (and I say this while not caring much for Summer Glau). You don't create a long running show like Buffy without something going for you -- and then a spinoff like Angel that lasted a few years to boot. Then, with a gigantic "thud", Dollhouse. For whatever reasons that everyone had, Dollhouse had loyal viewers, but I'd never have considered them fans.

Fans will zealously overlook imperfections in order to better enjoy and advocate for the object of their affections. And then, when they're shunned, they have a habit of either just walking away or even turning on the remaining fans. You shouldn't be surprised that Warhammer (a franchise with 20 years of fans) had some people who were less than receptive to legitimate criticism. Nor should you be surprised when the fans who now feel scorned by their idols acknowledge the problems were there all along."

That's pretty much it. When you shun your fans, they can have a very negative effect on the health of your show. Not only do they stop supporting, but they cause a chain reaction of stopping other people from watching. But I have yet to really see TPTB behind a show ever learn from this until it is too late. And some may never care and will do whatever they want, convinced their vision is better. George Lucas, Joss Whedon... both made good things that attracted a lot of fans. Both then ended up taking a huge dump on their fanbase.

SGU could very well be the Voyager or Enterprise of it's series. The one that just makes too many of the core fanbase go, "ehh, I think it's done, Jim" and he series gets canceled before it's done.

If they fail to listen to the fanbase on issues like this one, they could very well end up in the same boat, known as has-beens who got lucky with something, thought they were God, and end up a laughingstock because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
          If they fail to listen to the fanbase on issues like this one, they could very well end up in the same boat, known as has-beens who got lucky with something, thought they were God, and end up a laughingstock because of it.
          Fanbase has gazillion different opinions on different subjects. Some like music montages, some don't. Some want more explosions, others more characters. Who should they listen to and why?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sairnath View Post
            Happens more often then you would think. Pretty much anytime you see the disclaimer "tonights music brought to you by" at the end of an episode means it was a paid advertisement placement. Every MTV/VH1 reality show whenever a song comes up has a scroll on the bottom of the screen with who it is. Also paid advertisement.
            That disclaimer hasn't been on an episode of SGU, has it? I don't believe so.

They are paying the artist/record label to use the music they (the production) selects for the episode.
            sigpic
            Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
              Fanbase has gazillion different opinions on different subjects. Some like music montages, some don't. Some want more explosions, others more characters. Who should they listen to and why?
              I find this obfuscation used by those who just want to confuse the issue, thus avoiding the uncomfortable fact when a clear majority IS arising out of the fanbase, as this thread is indicating. Regardless, there are ways. If people care enough to write about the things that concern them, that there is reason to believe it can be an issue. When forums contain a message repeated by many, then there is reason to believe it can be an issue. Polls could therefore be employed to further discover the truth, too.

In short, there are ways.

Comment

I hate music montages. They are a waste of time, even if the music is good. Give me more plot and dialogues!

Comment

The sappy montages usually suck. The more action-oriented ones are great.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                    On a fan board? I'll probably run into more than a couple viewers who will watch SGU even if the entire 43 minute episode was a musical montage where no one does anything but sit/lay down and look emo.

Comment

I quite like them. Obviously they aren't everyone's cup of tea but IMO they generally add a nice conclusion to the episode.
                      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Hear hear...they should go!
                        All of the above statments are merely my own opinion unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
                          I agree
                          With which part? Queen or the sucking sound accompanying musical montages?
                          Boobies!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                            I find this obfuscation used by those who just want to confuse the issue, thus avoiding the uncomfortable fact when a clear majority IS arising out of the fanbase, as this thread is indicating.
                            Well, I say that the majority who does like music montages aren't posting at GW and have left because of the negativity here. Prove me wrong.

I won't believe for one second that one thread, where say 15 dislike and 6 (didn't count, random numbers) do like what happened dictates what PTB should do. Besides, the number of fans is so small in comparison to general viewers tuning in. They'll never bother to answer in poll, write their opinions.

Originally posted by dahok View Post
                            On a fan board? I'll probably run into more than a couple viewers who will watch SGU even if the entire 43 minute episode was a musical montage where no one does anything but sit/lay down and look emo.
                            Really? I have yet to met one.
                            sigpic

Comment

Every single time the montages come on, I sing to myself the Team America: World Police song, "We're going to have a montage....montage!"

Funnily, I actually think me humming that song makes the montages more interesting. Apart from that, I see them as simply a way for the writers to get out of writing 90 odd seconds of an episode.

Or maybe we need fun montages, rather than sleepy dreary music where we see the characters laying down or day dreaming, we have a bit of Benny Hill music and we see all the times the characters trip over stuff that is left lying in the hallways. Christ it sounds silly but hands up who wants to see that in the next ep rather than the next drivelling montage they will likely spew out at us!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                                I quite like them. Obviously they aren't everyone's cup of tea but IMO they generally add a nice conclusion to the episode.
                                I agree with you
                                Grimm returns October 24
                                sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
                                Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

Working...
                                X