Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ENOUGH ALREADY with the sappy song montages!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a suggestion.. lets come up with ideas for what we would LIKE to hear for the montages based on the episode title...

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
      As a suggestion.. lets come up with ideas for what we would LIKE to hear for the montages based on the episode title...
      I actually think that's a great idea, though don't get me wrong about ALL of the montages, some of them are exactly what was needed for the episode, but for most of them it's the choice of contemporary music used that just takes me away from it, and seems that it does for lots of others too.

I've decided to go back and find ALL the music montages, and come up with a suggestion for each one of what they should have done instead, even the ones that are poor i'm sure would be more fitting than what they actually did.

Like i said, for this week's episode, the episode was perfect until the montage, in this case for the episode i would have had a complete scene of Riley's service, with Young's and other's speeches, then ended the episode with Young afterwards almost at breaking point in private as we saw him in the montage.

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
        Fanbase has gazillion different opinions on different subjects. Some like music montages, some don't. Some want more explosions, others more characters. Who should they listen to and why?
        I like the music montages and would change the title of this thread to "Enough already with the complaining about the montages!" but that's me

Now, as to who TPTB should listen to in these matters, it's painfully apparent that they should of course be listening to me. And given that I like everything they've done, they ARE listening to me. And so I am a happy girl

*yes, I was being silly - but they should still listen only to me *
        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
          I like the music montages and would change the title of this thread to "Enough already with the complaining about the montages!" but that's me
          Maybe next time, eh? I can almost guarantee there'll be more complaining threads.

Now, as to who TPTB should listen to in these matters, it's painfully apparent that they should of course be listening to me. And given that I like everything they've done, they ARE listening to me. And so I am a happy girl
          Now, when to think of it, then yes. They're listening to you, and me too. Awesome. Yes, PTB should listen to fans.
          sigpic

Comment

Heh, it's amazing how much this pops up in every fandom I've been a part of. There are always people who go "Stop talking! Your opinion isn't valid nor welcome! Mostly because it's negative and you can't have a negative opinion cuz the series is perfect and it somehow hurts me when someone points out valid criticism!"

A lot of people are taking the time and effort to post their opinions, and everyone's opinion is valid here. I don't see anything wrong with it.

But yes, perhaps TPTB should listen to the minority of fans. That's a great way to keep a show going and... hey, where did the majority of the fanbase go? Now the show will be canceled!

Comment

Ok, as an alternative to "Who Wants to Live Forever," they can use "Freakin' at the Freaker's Ball," by Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show. But ONLY ONE OF THOSE TWO SONGS!

I have spoken.
              Boobies!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                Heh, it's amazing how much this pops up in every fandom I've been a part of. There are always people who go "Stop talking! Your opinion isn't valid nor welcome! Mostly because it's negative and you can't have a negative opinion cuz the series is perfect and it somehow hurts me when someone points out valid criticism!"

A lot of people are taking the time and effort to post their opinions, and everyone's opinion is valid here. I don't see anything wrong with it.

But yes, perhaps TPTB should listen to the minority of fans. That's a great way to keep a show going and... hey, where did the majority of the fanbase go? Now the show will be canceled!
                humor is apparently lost on you and it bears some stating that I've never said any of those things. Insufferable complaining will, at most (at least from me) get you ignored, not silenced and no one seems to have been able to silence you yet, so I'd say you're not damaged in any way by it

Originally posted by RamblerReb View Post
                Ok, as an alternative to "Who Wants to Live Forever," they can use "Freakin' at the Freaker's Ball," by Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show. But ONLY ONE OF THOSE TWO SONGS!

I have spoken.
                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

humor is apparently lost on you and it bears some stating that I've never said any of those things. Insufferable complaining will, at most (at least from me) get you ignored, not silenced and no one seems to have been able to silence you yet, so I'd say you're not damaged in any way by it
                  And apparently you, too. =)

Comment

From an artistic point of view I find the basic silent fade to black to be especially effective when there will be a continuation of that story line.

A song could fit in at a funeral or a death felt by many which is an ending which can emotionally play out and be done.

Comment

For me, it depends upon the song. Being the old fogey that I am, I don't know any of the songs I've heard so far in the montages on SGU. I liked the Mumford one (so much that I went to YouTube to hear the original), but the others were not as memorable. I would say that I like montages per se, but that it is a device which can be overused.

ArchaeoNerd

Comment

Originally posted by Corona View Post
                        From an artistic point of view I find the basic silent fade to black to be especially effective when there will be a continuation of that story line.

A song could fit in at a funeral or a death felt by many which is an ending which can emotionally play out and be done.
                        I agree.

When the inclusion of songs is overdone, they lose the emotional affect they're intended to elicit in the first place. Well - it does for me anyway.
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Very well. There still seems to be some contention on this issue amongst the fans. So, in addition to "Who Wants to Live Forever" and "Freakin' at the Freaker's Ball," they can use "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot. BUT ONLY IF THE STORY ABSOLUTELY CALLS FOR IT!!!

I, for the last time, have spoken.
                          Boobies!

Comment

Well I like em. They're part of the style of the show, though this recent one was a bit weak.

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                              I agree.

When the inclusion of songs is overdone, they lose the emotional affect they're intended to elicit in the first place. Well - it does for me anyway.
                              Not only that, it's out of place. Does it always have to end in that? Why can't it end with classic Joel Godlsmith? Throughout Awakening, the score was brilliant until that indie crap came along.

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                                I agree.

I'd disagree on my part.

Perhaps it's because I literally live my life by music. I always have my MP3 player on me and I will always listen to music that fits my mood and situation. I literally can't listen to a happy song when I'm sad. I'm just that sort of person. So to me, while I wouldn't listen to some of the music from the montages regularly I do enjoy them.

I also appreciate them from a writers perspective as well. You see as an aspiring writer I am very aware of how shows are actually writen in terms of plot and dialogue as these are things that can be replicated on the page in the form of say a novel format (if someone wanted to take the time) so I enjoy looking at minute details of the characters, their expressions and speculating on what they might be truly thinking about at any given moment.

You might be asking what the hell this has to do with a music montage therefore...........well I'll tell you.........

It's because a music montage can not be easily translated to the written word. In an intimate moment between two characters you can narrow down the description to the minute details, and within the story you can even include plenty of other characters and feature their own feelings, but it isn't nearly as memorable. It's the same if you did it over several scenes in a show.

Using a montage allows TPTB to sumarise each of the characters feelings in one go. Many of which are characters we might not neccesarily see much of. Sure alot of these montages come off looking the same as everyone just sort of goes about their daily lives seemingly brooding about how much they hate it on Destiny, but to me it is still more than that, and I find I can pick up on a alot of little details and analyze plenty of little looks and nudges within all the characters in just a minute or two of footage.....not to mention listen to some very moving music (usually) while I'm at it.
                                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                                X