Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ENOUGH ALREADY with the sappy song montages!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OutandAboot View Post
    I've never heard anything like that when it comes to music in tv shows.

I understand why Pepsi or a computer manufacturer pays for advertisment, but I've never heard about a record label paying for their songs to be used on a tv show.

The songs used so far reflects the situation in the episodes very well. It's one hell of a coincidence if the artists or their record labels has been pushing or paying for their songs to be used.

Janelle Monae's concert is the only time I can think of when the music haven't been tied to the events in the episodes, but the concert served more as a background atmosphere.
    You're mistake is in assuming the song is from a band under a record label, or that all record labels have the same standards when it comes to their music.

Comment

Originally posted by OutandAboot View Post
      I've never heard anything like that when it comes to music in tv shows.

I understand why Pepsi or a computer manufacturer pays for advertisment, but I've never heard about a record label paying for their songs to be used on a tv show.

The songs used so far reflects the situation in the episodes very well. It's one hell of a coincidence if the artists or their record labels has been pushing or paying for their songs to be used.

Janelle Monae's concert is the only time I can think of when the music haven't been tied to the events in the episodes, but the concert served more as a background atmosphere.

Happens more often then you would think. Pretty much anytime you see the disclaimer "tonights music brought to you by" at the end of an episode means it was a paid advertisement placement. Every MTV/VH1 reality show whenever a song comes up has a scroll on the bottom of the screen with who it is. Also paid advertisement.

Comment

I think that they are over using these musical montages. i wouldn't mind one every couple of episodes and normally i don't mind them that much. but this one felt kind of out of place.

Comment

Personally I usually like the montages. This one though just needed a different song as it just didn't feel "right". I've actually added of few of the montage songs to my zune as a result of SGU because i'd never heard them elsewhere. In particular, I added Breathe and All My Days, as well as Brand New's You Won't Know. If used properly, i think they're fantastic but its just a matter of song choice and I agree, this one was out of place.

Comment

Why not give a Blues, Rock or Jazz for a change?

For a 2nd times, the sappy song really spoiled the mode to the great show ending.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinary View Post
              For a 2nd times, the sappy song really spoiled the mode to the great show ending.
              When was the first?

Comment

I generally like them. I've gone on to buy some of the songs from iTunes, so apparently the musicians made a good choice being associated with SGU.
                sigpic
                Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

For the most part, the music hasn't bothered me. While most of it isn't stuff I would listen to on my own, it isn't too bad.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I never really minded but by this episode I think hey are probably over doing it. Frankly I don't really think we need a song for every single episode. Music montages in my opinion are more effective when used sparingly.
                    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Usually, I dislike the music montages because the music always seems "off" and in direct contrast with the rest of the episode. But this and the song from Air, part 3 were the only times I felt song actually fit. I also liked the Janelle Monae music. It's actually the songs in the other episodes that seemed "off" to me when compared to the rest of the episode.

Plus the full song itself is actually pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8OH8Uautpk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMUiZwiBmNg

Originally posted by Trinary View Post
                      Why not give a Blues, Rock or Jazz for a change?
                      This song was actually pretty close to Blues.

Comment

If I don't like the singer or the song, I can't wait for it to be over..

Think about the UPS song on Logistics in their new ads.

MUTE!!!!

I also muted every ST Enterprise intro. I really hated that song. It was so wrong!

Music moves people, but not always the way they would like.

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                          Which is too bad.

I'd be happy if they got rid of it. It's too 'Grey's Anatomy' in space to me with all that contemporary music.
                          Or Scrubs in space, or Chuck in space, etc...
                          A lot of shows use contemporary music, and I actually like that. I mean, I've been introduced to a lot of great artists which I probably would've missed out on, thanks to shows like SGU, Scrubs & Chuck.
                          sigpic

Comment

The music is annoying and very poorly placed. This "Ok song and montage" is a poor attempt to close an episode and most good drama either ends with a reset or a shock not some crappy song.

Tim

Comment

Honestly? If they're going to use a music montage at the end of every show, it should always be "Who Wants to Live Forever," by Queen. Every time. But different bits of the song, depending on the mood.

Otherwise, music montages suck. They're an excuse to get out of writing good dialogue.
                              Boobies!

Comment

Originally posted by Corona View Post
                                Once in a while for poignancy is fine but overdoing it causes a 'not again' response from me.

Also, if you didn't like the singer the first time, now it's twice as bad.

My opinion. Otherwise a great ep!
                                I agree i think once in a while it's ok, but not every episode, it get's old fast!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X