Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ENOUGH ALREADY with the sappy song montages!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

^ Heh.

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
      Of course, I can't blame them, because I have a feeling they've discovered a new cash cow; getting paid to include the music.
      Is it not the other way around: they pay to use the music? Licensing and whatnot? Or does it depend on the age, etc. of the song?

I know that Supernatural has used less classic rock as the show's gone on because they had to cut their music budget, and there was talk about that for SGA's Vegas.

Comment

i'm okay with them, though they are a little old when its every episode. this one didn't really annoy me that much since the episode did end in a somewhat sad tone, which the music helped show.
        sigpic

Comment

I didn't mind the montages at first but now they are growing rather...well...tiresome.

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
            In most cases, whatever the subject, the people that dislike something are much more vocal and willing to participate in a complaining thread than supporters who like something but don't get going about it. Especially in forum land!
            Which is why I had earlier proposed a poll. And got more people whinging that "such a poll wouldn't mean anything!" without even giving it a chance. I dunno; perhaps they were afraid for some reason? But you're words are contradicted when we do have several people posting here with their opinions that they like the montages, and even people posting their indifferent attitude.

If it was all complaints, then you'd have a good point, but it's not. So I'd say it's a pretty fair representation.

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
            Is it not the other way around: they pay to use the music? Licensing and whatnot? Or does it depend on the age, etc. of the song?
            It depends on song, and generally how popular it, or the band, is. You wanna use something from someone rich and well known, such as Micheal Jackson, Nirvana, Britney Spears, etc.? You'll have to pay them to include it. From a lesser-known band? Odds are, they'll pay you to include their song because it serves as advertisement. In some ways, even if the group is semi-popular, they may still pay you to include a song for advertisement purposes. Think normal products like Coke or Pepsi, and where you've seen them in your favorite movies. Odds are, the company paid the series/movie to have their product included, and paid for it as part of their marketing budget.

Basically, payment will come down to which party needs the other more. Figure that out, and you'll find out which way the money flows, although it's generally that people pay the movie/series to include things. After all, the movie/series has hundreds of thousands of things to pick from, so they don't NEED you.

And a series like SGU is supposed to generate as much money as possible, with as little cost as possible, and they already have a special effects budget to worry about. That means songs would normally be axed if they had to pay extra for them (normal soap dramas can afford to use them more, since they don't have a special effects budget, nor need to build complex new sets).

tl;dr answer: It's complex, but generally a show is paid to include something as advertisement. If you liked that song you just heard, you're likely to look up the band and sample more of their music, possibly buying.

Comment

As i and others have said, at the end of this ep, it took us right out of the ep, just felt so tacked on and out of place. Add to that the fact that they mentioned a service for Riley, and all we saw was Greer clearing out his quaters, instead of that song, i would have preferred seeing the service for Riley, seeing Young giving some sort of speech, would have spoken to his character seeing him give a speech whilst not cracking (remembering Riley's end). Had this been done with some emotional undertone by Jerry Goldsmith i think it would have been far more fitting, FAR more effective, and much more of an emotional connect for the audience. Instead we're treated to a few seconds of each person separately whilst some soft-indie plays - so one the one hand we're supposed to feel something cheerful from the music, but see how each of these people are 'thinking'. About what, we have no idea, all we know is that they're thinking, because they are trying to pull off the Jack Bauer stare - Pathetic. Didnt lower my blood pressure, made it boil instead.

Comment

/agree

Comment

Originally posted by ahdvd View Post
                  As i and others have said, at the end of this ep, it took us right out of the ep, just felt so tacked on and out of place. Add to that the fact that they mentioned a service for Riley, and all we saw was Greer clearing out his quaters, instead of that song, i would have preferred seeing the service for Riley, seeing Young giving some sort of speech, would have spoken to his character seeing him give a speech whilst not cracking (remembering Riley's end). Had this been done with some emotional undertone by Jerry Goldsmith i think it would have been far more fitting, FAR more effective, and much more of an emotional connect for the audience. Instead we're treated to a few seconds of each person separately whilst some soft-indie plays - so one the one hand we're supposed to feel something cheerful from the music, but see how each of these people are 'thinking'. About what, we have no idea, all we know is that they're thinking, because they are trying to pull off the Jack Bauer stare - Pathetic. Didnt lower my blood pressure, made it boil instead.
                  You know, that's exactly it, and what I was trying to get across. By including a sappy montage, you can't show something else. It would have been FAR more poignant to have Young delivering a eulogy for Riley, tying it in as to how they just lost Telford, and giving a motivational speech at the same time, ala, "Riley was a soldier and knew the risks, and yet he didn't let it get him down. We may lose more people out here until we finally find a way home, but we will get home. Riley gave his life in the line of duty so that we could continue to survive."

And then perhaps segue that into several scenes of people giving speeches about their memories of Riley. Would have been far more touching than a sappy montage. They aren't bad in and of themselves, but they really highlight the wangst this series is heading into. Sure, things are bad. But for pete's sake, showcase some ****in' hope. Nobody likes depression all the time, except for emo goths.

Comment

I like them, because its set that more is happening in Destiny that we dont get to see.
                    Its like "their lives" dont end every time the ep ends. Good "intro" for Kino Episodes
                    "Do you know what's the Chain of Command?? It's the chain i'm gonna beat you
                    with until you realize who's in rotten command here." - Jayne Cobb

Comment

I liked most of the montages in Season 1. I liked the ones in Intervention and Aftermath.

The one in Awakening felt kind of awkward and random though. It didn't really have a central "theme" to it like the previous ones. Intervention's centered on TJ's experience, Aftermath on the crew's reaction to losing Riley, but Awakening was all over the place.
                      Last edited by Kanten; 13 October 2010, 11:47 AM.

Comment

It sounds to me like they're trying too hard to make the show seem emotional and deep by doing this when they don't really need to. When you try to hard to do anything it can result in something becoming cheesy. Whatever though; I'll just skip the sequences if others like em.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                          It depends on song, and generally how popular it, or the band, is. You wanna use something from someone rich and well known, such as Micheal Jackson, Nirvana, Britney Spears, etc.? You'll have to pay them to include it. From a lesser-known band? Odds are, they'll pay you to include their song because it serves as advertisement.
                          I've never heard anything like that when it comes to music in tv shows.

I understand why Pepsi or a computer manufacturer pays for advertisment, but I've never heard about a record label paying for their songs to be used on a tv show.

The songs used so far reflects the situation in the episodes very well. It's one hell of a coincidence if the artists or their record labels has been pushing or paying for their songs to be used.

Janelle Monae's concert is the only time I can think of when the music haven't been tied to the events in the episodes, but the concert served more as a background atmosphere.

Comment

It's possible that record companies are paying for the songs to be used, they certainly do on radio stations. I agree though, that they sound horribly out of place.

Comment

I think what makes them so out of place is how the soundtrack for the previous 40 mins of the episode is so different then suddenly the synth rifts are exchanged for a contemporary song.

Comment

I've pretty much come to the point that when the music starts I hit mute. Still get the emotional responses even in silence without the annoying music. A traditional musical score can still be just as good and moving.

Comment

Working...
                                X