This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
    This may have been addressed by others and since I won't go back 275 posts...........
    I am curious about why Wray didn't contact anybody while she was on earth to discuss the issue of the attemted coup, and update the supreriors. She certainly had plenty of time. They could at least have shown someone coming to see her and the fade to black. Or did I miss something
    They probably already know
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
      If Wray mentions the coup, she risks mentioning her part in it, or having that part come out. Plotting a mutiny wouldn't earn her many points.
      I think it's probably more a case of her knowing that they're stuck out there and have to learn to do this on their own, which I think is what the attempted revolution was all about. IMHO.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
        Of course writing is an art form. Art takes many forms.
        However. Even writing is less of an art form when you're getting paid to to not only do it but to do it as some one else wants...then it's just a service...a skill.

The same with all the other forms mentioned.

I don't agree with general rationalization.
        And I don't see how that makes it less offensive.
        Art is not just a service or skill when you do it for money. I have made money with my art (not writing, sadly.) The art pieces I sold were always things I drew and colored, subjects I liked, and done for my own personal pleasure. I did not give thought to "wait, how much will this fetch at auction?" I took commissions, where people asked for certain subjects for a while, too. I feel the art I did then was also my unique take on a subject or character. I have to conclude that you are neither a writer or an artist, because if you were, you wouldn't be so dismissive of us. Nor would you advocate a position which basically boils down to "They should starve and suffer, that's what makes it art." As someone who's been there, I can tell you, my art did not improve when I was surviving off ramen noodles. That's why your statements offend.

And also, the writers on the show, for the most part, have been involved with SG for a long time. It is now 'theirs.' I am positive that they would not view the very personal and difficult process of writing a good story as simply a service, like stamping parts out at a factory for eight hours, or bagging groceries for your paycheck. Some people get paid to do what they are best at and what they love.

Comment

If Wray mentions the coup, she risks mentioning her part in it, or having that part come out. Plotting a mutiny wouldn't earn her many points.
          Perhaps she's keeping her mouth shut about TJ and Young because she knows Young and the rest of the Military personel could use the mutany against her.
          My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
          "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Originally posted by SG7 View Post
            Perhaps she's keeping her mouth shut about TJ and Young because she knows Young and the rest of the Military personel could use the mutany against her.
            yep, everyone's got their hands good and dirty now, so they're hopefully going to have to just work with each other
            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Wray knows a lot that she doesn't speak about, it seems. I think she simply is biding her time, and maybe she doesn't realize it even. We've yet to see how low she can sink. I am hoping they show us before the season ends.

Comment

FoX1028 writes: “1- In “Sabotage”, when the aliens showed up, they came from the galaxy that Destiny was heading.. The aliens are already in that galaxy waiting for Destiny?

2- What happened to the “Repair Robot”? After he finished isolating the damaged FTL drive, they brought the robot back to inside to ship?”

Answers: 1. Not necessarily. Unlike Destiny that stops every so often to gather supplies, the aliens could have relentlessly pursued, perhaps even overtaken them and lain in wait. 2. The repair robot is back on board and mixing martinis in Brody’s Bar until its next mission.
                http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...e-the-mailbag/
                sigpic
                The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
                  Wray knows a lot that she doesn't speak about, it seems. I think she simply is biding her time, and maybe she doesn't realize it even. We've yet to see how low she can sink. I am hoping they show us before the season ends.
                  Indeed. I would like to see it sooner too rather than later as then we'll finally see what she is capable of and be a little more prepared for anything that she does.
                  My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                  "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Indeed. I would like to see it sooner too rather than later as then we'll finally see what she is capable of and be a little more prepared for anything that she does.
                    I think the reason she's so ambiguous, more so than Rush or Young, is because the writers are actually planning on showing us what Wray is all about, and we won't be able to see it coming. Either she'll be fantastic or she'll be horrible. I hope it's the former, Rush has already given me a few unpleasant shocks, and so has Young. It'd be good to see one character who is not morally confused, at least for a while. So far, she hasn't done anything really good or really bad. I fully expect a character defining moment of pure awesome from her, eventually. If I don't get it, I'll be disappointed.

Comment

I think the reason she's so ambiguous, more so than Rush or Young, is because the writers are actually planning on showing us what Wray is all about, and we won't be able to see it coming. Either she'll be fantastic or she'll be horrible. I hope it's the former, Rush has already given me a few unpleasant shocks, and so has Young. It'd be good to see one character who is not morally confused, at least for a while. So far, she hasn't done anything really good or really bad. I fully expect a character defining moment of pure awesome from her, eventually. If I don't get it, I'll be disappointed.
                      I bet it will come either the episode before, or come in the finale. Or it may come sooner. We really haven't seen much of Wray in the last few episodes. And for a major character, that seems a little odd. Almost as if they are climaxing for something huge with her.

Comment

Art is not just a service or skill when you do it for money. I have made money with my art (not writing, sadly.) The art pieces I sold were always things I drew and colored, subjects I liked, and done for my own personal pleasure. I did not give thought to "wait, how much will this fetch at auction?" I took commissions, where people asked for certain subjects for a while, too. I feel the art I did then was also my unique take on a subject or character. I have to conclude that you are neither a writer or an artist, because if you were, you wouldn't be so dismissive of us. Nor would you advocate a position which basically boils down to "They should starve and suffer, that's what makes it art." As someone who's been there, I can tell you, my art did not improve when I was surviving off ramen noodles. That's why your statements offend.

Hmm...
                        I didn't intend for you to understand that the compromise the money of art as exclusively a skill and not art, rather I intended to communicate that accepting money for your work does lessen it's status as art AS WELL as taking being directed or purposed. At this point the art has been cheapen down to a monetary value and actually turned into their art and not yours.

That is why I term it a skill at this point because the expression is not your own.
                        You could say that is not a true expression of the artist.

And also, the writers on the show, for the most part, have been involved with SG for a long time. It is now 'theirs.' I am positive that they would not view the very personal and difficult process of writing a good story as simply a service, like stamping parts out at a factory for eight hours, or bagging groceries for your paycheck. Some people get paid to do what they are best at and what they love.
                        I have never seen art under bondage as true art.
                        Getting paid for work...such as writing a book, doesn't diminish the artwork. The artist came to his own inspiration full on his or her own. However getting paid to produce a work under direction simply isn't art.

Think of an author that uses a secretary. Just because she's doing the typing...knows all the proper punctuation, sentence structure, syntax, grammar and doesn't mean she is the artist, she or he is just the tool...and instrument for the true expression behind the work.

While TV show writers do get some freedom they are directed.
                        This is not like a collaboration. You don't have a choice...that's when it becomes more skill than art.
                        The world is so capitalistic, every thought is toward how you can get paid.
                        But that' not what the focus of art is. Getting paid and appreciated for your art isn't a bad thing.

But a true Artist knows that gettting paid is not the essence of true appreciation, it's possession.
                        True appreciation of Artist is being inspired even mimicry.

I mentioned the Sistine Chapel further up-thread as an example of paid work. Artists get paid all the time to produce certain works. it doesn't make them not art.
                        You misunderstand.
                        The Sistine Chapel was work done by Michaelangelo but the inspiration came from the Vatican. The Ceiling represents the doctrine of the church. However he did override the original concept of the project from the "12 apostles" to something truely artistic to "Man's Fall From Grace" which the entire Theme for the Sanctuary.

So I call it his work and his art.
                        Not the use of a skill but the use of an artist and a creative mind.

Comment

I hope T.J. is actually alright! After the explosion, I don't like the way she said "I'm fine" and held her tummy! Although she seems perfectly fine later
                          sigpic
                          Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
                          O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
                          Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
                          O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

Comment

I bet it will come either the episode before, or come in the finale. Or it may come sooner. We really haven't seen much of Wray in the last few episodes. And for a major character, that seems a little odd. Almost as if they are climaxing for something huge with her.
                            She is billed as a recurring character
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              She is billed as a recurring character
                              Interesting. I didn't know that. I was under the impression that she was one of the main cast members.

Comment

Interesting. I didn't know that. I was under the impression that she was one of the main cast members.
                                She was eventually moved to main at the end of S1 but Ming Na was originally recurring
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X