Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anthony writes: [...] c) I was just re-watching sabotage and noticed that when the aliens came to attack, it seemed to me that they came from the wrong direction. Just something that I noticed. [...]

Answers: [...] c) I think one of the males was driving and was too embarrassed to stop and ask for directions so their ship ended up overshooting Destiny’s position, forcing them to back track. [...]
    http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...otto-stressed/
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DetriusXii View Post
        I was watching the episode and I kept thinking that it would be cool if Amanda could get a Tok'ra symbiote. She was a well-written female character. I want to see the character again, but only happier in her life. And if she were to retrieve a symbiote, I'm sure that Camille and Wray could come to a mutual agreement for acceptable uses of body swapping.
        I was thinking about this as well, but would the Tok'ra or Amanda be transported to the Destiny? I am not aware of any instances where the Goa'uld or Tok'ra used this type of technology.

I was also thinking that the guy in the chair may have ascended. If so, are there any other ascended beings in this galaxy? If there were not could he help the Destinly crew without being subjected to the rules of the Ancients. If he is ascended he could provide a lot of needed assistance.

Just saying.
        At the moment it is Phobos (though time is limited; it is suppose to crash into Mars in the next 100 million years )

Comment

If you watch latter eps, you would know
          Spoiler:
          that he was downloaded into the computers database

Comment

I liked this episode, even if the return of the three was a bit of an anti-climax. I do hope they'll revisit it later. But it was obvious they were still in range of the planet because they contemplated going back there. Good thing they sent the Kino though! I do wonder how many Kinos the ship has and if it has the ability to make more when they run out.

I felt really sorry for Mandy the way Rush refused an once in a lifetime opportunity for her. Still, the fact that he continues to grieve so much for his wife is... honorable I guess.
            sigpic

Comment

He did not want to make him, because she was in Camille's body, also, not only because of the death of his wife.
              In any case, I liked this episode, even if I agree that the return of Chloé, Eli and Math was one can too easy.
              sigpic
              by AresLover452 ^^

Comment

Above average episode.

So, what happened to Franklin, then and now?

Those shots of Destiny and the close Galaxy were beautiful. I love the sound that comes from those alien ships, both the hyperdrive (FTL?) and firing.

Tomorrow, another hallucination-like episode. How many of these have we had already in the Franchise.
                sigpic

Comment

This episode contains one of the best guest stars of Stargate History; Dr. Amanda Perry who provides what is arguably one of the best plots here. There is something about her character that is entrancing, no not the paralysis, I'm talking about the warmth, the appeal and the charm. Every word that he says just has that sort of pep, it isn't the type of middling genericy that dominates much of Season 1, it's a seeming representation of a human being, one with abilities, one with a mysterious connection and one of interest. And those looks, one can't forget about those looks. I really liked that they created someone who has serious skills in the technological department yet still stand on her own as a character, she wasn't just there to fix the ship, she was there to benefit the episode as a whole.

And her appearance definitely acts as the catalyst of growth for Rush. The human side that appeared in "human" shows more here as we definitely get into the aspects of a romance, a person happy to see a good friend, the times of which they spent together, the times of which they could of spent together. It really signified what the Rush character would become, which was a character who was good at heart trying but failing to hide behind a hard shell. He's trying to make you think of him as hard but every time you hear about their humble beginnings, every time you hear about the seemingly innocent moments; you can't help to think otherwise. I really wished they continued the relationship between Dr. Amanda Perry and Dr. Rush. I couldn't help to gush over every moment that they had, I couldn't help to feel compassion between them; even when they got into the morally grey areas it was still good. These two could of been something had they persued it.

Those are about the best parts of the episode. The rest suffers from a lack of urgency and identity issues; I'll admit it is done slightly better with surprisingly many good moments. Dr. Franklin shows why he's a decent supporting character; he legitimately plays himself in such a mortifying position, one that actually helps effects the plot. You can't help to think that this was either the result of someone forcing him to do something he didn't want to do or whether or not it was his destiny himself, he doesn't have to speak a word or even do something of importance, his silent performance tells all and Chloe, well this would be the beginning of her Alien Ways AKA the arc that would shoot her to the top of the best characters list. I was definitely wanting more from her plot, what were they going to use her for, what purpose would she serve in the show; it was just so exciting to think about it.

However, the situation presented is really underwhelming; whenever we have one dangerous scene, we have another that completely disregards the danger and the people barely act surprised or doubtful despite the few legitimately surprising scenes in here. When a situation is dangerous, I want it to be truly dangerous. I don't want to see some explosions, I want to see the whole shibang and I want to see something brought out of the characters because of it. I don't want danger scenes shifting between romance scenes and excreta, I want danger and characters who care about a situation. Speaking of which, the characters come back as expected thanks to the explosion; I remember one person saying that it was coincidence that they managed to make it back and in that regard, they could just bring out the aliens whenever they want to bring the characters back. Wray's plot where she gets into the body of a disabled person seems like it was designed to be controversial and shocking. (as in "look at us, we're not kiddy sci-fi stuff.") It just didn't have the same spark as her scenes of life, sure some of it was charming but it didn't really show the frail side, instead it felt like a soap opera except with tons of sexual overtones. I would of really liked to see them go the extra mile but alas, these scenes only serve as above average time filler.

And the cliffhanger. I thought they were building up to something big (seeing as how much of the episode became epic in the end) but a few episodes later, search gets called off, even bigger things happen and it's never referenced again. But at least Franklin would reappear later on in the show. I really want to know what happened.
                  Back from the grave.

Comment

Another good episode especially where Rush is concerned. It was really quite interesting to see the change in him when he was with Amanda Perry, he actually liked being with another human being! Robert Carlyle brought the softer side of Rush out wonderfully, the softer voice, without the tired irritable tone we've got used to hearing. A sparkle in the otherwise cold eyes, more animated conversation, he was happy to have someone to share ideas with.

Amanda Perry I agree was a great character. Dignified, personable, simply straight forward and honest. No wonder Eli was totally surprised that Rush actually had a personal relationship with her, they seemed to be so different to eachother! The wonder of her lifting the hand that wasn't hers was well done, and the awkwardness of movement caused by a mind that remembered walking and moving was an interesting idea. Her almost childish delight in all the things around her was interesting to watch, such a stark contrast to the behaviour of the reluctant group of people around her on Destiny.

This episode added more to the character of Camille too. I thought that it was a great thing she did volunteering and stoically sticking with swapping bodies with the quadriplegic Amanda Perry. It highlighted the pain of her loneliness again in that she was willing to not even be able to move and breathe on her own, if only to be the one person she wanted to be with, the person who loved her in every way, in 'sickness and in health'.

Having said this, it did highlight again the difficulty of using those wretched stones, the use of someone else's body to be intimate with, and the repercussions, well, something I don't even want to know!!! It's just awkward to watch, being reminded by the reaction of others who come across a member of the crew hugging another one that they wouldn't be hugging in a month of Sundays! Whilst the stones were a useful plot device for character development, the other less savoury aspects of their use that arose made it in my view a better thing if they weren't used in the first place! Character development in the face of adversity and flashbacks works just as well for me.

I think this episode would have worked just as well without Amanda Perry, don't know why Eli or Brody couldn't have programmed the drone to dismantle the failed FTL drive unit. What do 'experts' on Earth know that Rush or Eli wouldn't figure out between them, considering they are actually there working on the ship day in day out, why play this dumb suddenly?! The decision to use Franklin would have happened anyway.

I never really noticed Camille Wray much as a character before this rewatch, there never seemed to be much interest in her, often dismissed as an annoying and useless character it seemed to me. I'm beginning to appreciate that there is quite a lot to her. Underneath the snappy businesslike facade is a vulnerable lonely person. Her clingy insecurity is covered up by her bullish cold approach to things in her professional life. She is a woman of principle, wants to do things right and help, but appears to misjudge situations and takes the wrong approach on occasion. I sort of feel for her now, isolated in space as well as on personal level just brings her the worst nightmare possible!

I liked the idea of a good thing happening as a result of a bad one! Destiny's FTL drive being sabotaged allowed the return of the 3 lost crew, ok, it was the aliens using the stones but it could have been Chloe or Rush doing it as a result of some 'brainwashing' the aliens could have done to them! The way they just turned up and it not being the centre of the action made it more realistic in a way, there were clearly more important things going on that was taking up peoples' attention.
                    Last edited by Krisz; 25 November 2012, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
                      I really wished they continued the relationship between Dr. Amanda Perry and Dr. Rush. I couldn't help to gush over every moment that they had, I couldn't help to feel compassion between them; even when they got into the morally grey areas it was still good. These two could of been something had they persued it.
                      Watch season 2.. Especially Greater good and on!

Comment

Midweek, another ep of SGU.

1. Again, very badly done with the returning three.

2. Rush is punching above his weight with Perry, there's hope for me yet I guess.

3. I think what people were referring to with the sex scene earlier was that Perry looked more than ready to be sexed in Wray's body.

Pretty cool ep though!
                        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Well, from the back story with Rush/Perry, it seems they were close to being an item in the past when they were both at school.. So why would rush be 'punching above his weight'?

Comment

Well as Eli hinted, Rush isn't obviously attractive!
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Not a bad ep.

The relationship between Rush and Perry was interesting.

Eli and the others getting back on board was convenient.

I can't imagine how scary it would be being in a disabled persons body like that.

The blue aliens seem to be very smart and cunning.

Franklin getting frozen and disappearing. Mystery abound!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                                Well as Eli hinted, Rush isn't obviously attractive!
                                That depends.. i know several dozen 'unattractive guys' who still get plenty of 'action'.

Comment

Working...
                                X