This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
    Scott is a parrot of Young. Eli is a parrot of Scott.
    That's not entirely fair to Scott. Scott has already shown that he is not, in fact, a parrot of Young. He has at least attempted to disobey orders three times I can think of; in "Air," by not helping Young kill himself. In "Space," when he recruits a fellow officer to go save Chloe while his commanding officer was intent on blowing her up, and in "Faith," when he wanted to stay on the planet to protect TJ.

I don't think Scott likes Rush. But I don't think he hates him either. In fact, we've seen little one way or the other to indicate that. Scott and Rush have had little dialogue since "Air," which is a shame, but when they do, I've noticed that Scott is more likely than almost any other character to call him "Dr. Rush" instead of simply "Rush."
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but after a nasty comment or two in "Air," I can't even remember the last time Scott insulted or talked badly about Rush.

I think Eli doesn't know what hate is yet. Eli doesn't hate Rush, or else he wouldn't be so sympathetic to him at times (in Divided, he points out to Young, knowing that Young had tried to kill Rush before, that Rush spared their lives. Later, he looks genuinely horrified and concerned when Rush tells him about the implant.)

He doesn't like Rush, to be sure, and I agree it's because Rush refused to baby him and tell him what a good boy he was just for getting up in the morning. And also, Rush got him onto Destiny. Sure, Eli was cool with it six months ago, but now he apparently wishes he was elsewhere. Probably since he's had to actually work, and that isn't his favorite thing to do. Eli also faces the real possibility that his mother will, despite the Air Force's best efforts, take a turn for the worse and he won't be there for her. I think if that happened, Eli might blame Rush and end up truly hating him; I kinda expect this to happen at some point. The irony of it is too much for a writer to pass up, and I'm sure Rush would feel terrible for playing a part in denying Eli the final moments with his mother. Just like Rush missed being with his wife in her final days.

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
      I highly doubt they were forced (i.e. "voluntold"?) to do anything. There are a lot of people involved in the Stargate program. Even if the amount of people willing to volunteer was under 1/5 of the total, that would still be quite a fair number who are willing to body-swap. And considering the low number of people aboard Destiny, I doubt it'd ever be a problem.

Any personal issue that people may have with swapping aside, I think there is no shortage of able and willing body-swap participants. Some of the scientists, especially, seem like they would do anything to get aboard the Destiny and work for a while. And remember, there are many civilian members of the Stargate program that could volunteer (and have on the show so far) who are not directly linked to the military.
      Where are you getting that there are a lot of people?? We have what, 22 teams. That makes 88 people (4 man teams), around 12 we have seen as static members of the base (not including the med staff). So that gives us on the upside around 120 for the SGC.
      The people of homeworld security would be another matter, tha tplus i cannot see them taking that many from an active ship/team for stone duty.

There could be a limited G version available. The problem then arises how are they going to monitor and police what goes on during the exchanges? What is to stop someone from being sneaky and choosing a G version and then going ahead and having sex anyway. That way they get to have sex and their own body does not. Assuming the G person they switched with isn’t sneaky as well. The whole situation could quickly deteriorate and become unworkable
      Plus the one you swap into concents for that, but what of the spouse? Is he or she concenting to having sex with a total stranger's body (Or for the one being "RIDDEN" having their SO knowing you ar effectively commiting adultery). Heck they still have not addressed what happens if during the swap the one you are in gets someone preg (for the men) or BECOMES preg for the ladies...

It was established in the show that people who volunteer to use the stones consent to the possibility of sexual use of their bodies. If the idea squicks you (general you, including the characters) or you find it unacceptable for whatever reason you don't use the stones. End of the story.
      It was established on a KINOsode, not the show. And how they went around doing it, along with how 'dancy around it' she seemed making it, that makes me wonder how truthful she was being.

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
        He doesn't like Rush, to be sure, and I agree it's because Rush refused to baby him and tell him what a good boy he was just for getting up in the morning. And also, Rush got him onto Destiny. Sure, Eli was cool with it six months ago, but now he apparently wishes he was elsewhere. Probably since he's had to actually work, and that isn't his favorite thing to do. Eli also faces the real possibility that his mother will, despite the Air Force's best efforts, take a turn for the worse and he won't be there for her. I think if that happened, Eli might blame Rush and end up truly hating him; I kinda expect this to happen at some point. The irony of it is too much for a writer to pass up, and I'm sure Rush would feel terrible for playing a part in denying Eli the final moments with his mother. Just like Rush missed being with his wife in her final days.
        Spot on! I don't see Eli falling into the "we're buddy buddy" camp just yet. And if something were to happen to his mother that she passes away while he is on board Destiny, then Rush will definately not get much friendship from Eli. It definately would be irony if Eli's mother passes away while he is on Destiny much like Rushes wife passed away while he was on Icarus.

And I too think that the reality is really setting in for Eli. When we saw him just sitting there reading and listening to music. I almost got the sense that he felt like he didn't belong there. And when Perry commented on Rush, I think that Eli was just surprised that anyone could actually find anything worth being attracted to in Rush.
        My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
        "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Originally posted by SG7 View Post
          While I find it rather "eeewww". I don't have any problem with it as long as all three (or four parties if there are two spouces involved) agree to it. It really only creeps me out when not all parties involved consent to it or one party does something that was not agreed upon.
          there is a wonderful trick this show does, the actual real body used and seen by the characters is not shown to us, instead we see the body of the consiousness residing within it. which is why many of you are finding the whole sex swap acceptable.
          sigpic

Comment

on the subject of Eli's mother, i remember that she was suffering from HIV or something similar, of all diseases someones mother could have, did they have to pick that one? i mean its sort of rare in this day and age.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
              there is a wonderful trick this show does, the actual real body used and seen by the characters is not shown to us, instead we see the body of the consiousness residing within it. which is why many of you are finding the whole sex swap acceptable.
              I don;t think it's wise to presume why people may find something acceptable. I find it acceptable because what other people consent to isn't my business, no matter who it is.

on the subject of Eli's mother, i remember that she was suffering from HIV or something similar, of all diseases someones mother could have, did they have to pick that one? i mean its sort of rare in this day and age.
              HIV rare in this day and age? Are you serious?
              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                I don;t think it's wise to presume why people may find something acceptable. I find it acceptable because what other people consent to isn't my business, no matter who it is.
                what? the hell you talking about. i aint talking about what people find acceptable, since i dont know anyone who accepted to have a body swap and have his body used for some stranger's sexual needs. we are talking about characters on a TV show that seem to have no problem doing that or even questioning the strangness of it. its as though these "average" characters have transcended all cultural morals in a few episodes.

HIV rare in this day and age? Are you serious?
                yeah i think its not much of an issue today, and the stigma isnt there today either so i dont know why the writers chose that disease.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                  Eli hates Rush? Must have missed that ep.
                  Me too!
                  sigpic

Comment

Agreed. As long as it doesn't affect anyone but the parties involved, then what they do behind closed doors is their own buisness.
                    My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                    "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Originally posted by SG7 View Post
                      Agreed. As long as it doesn't affect anyone but the parties involved, then what they do behind closed doors is their own buisness.
                      sigpic

Comment

you guys are very naive. im questioning the realism of it as well. very few people in reality would agree to such a thing but in the show, all characters seemed to be very accepting of it.
                        clearly, what the writers initially had in mind was that characters would take advantage of the body swap thing and not take permission but TPTB, after fan reaction, changed it by adding a kino webisode. thats hilarious.
                        sigpic

Comment

yeah i think its not much of an issue today, and the stigma isnt there today either so i dont know why the writers chose that disease.
                          What? It isn't a stigma because it's not just gay men, as originally believed, who get it anymore. It is nurses, people who need blood transfusions, etc. And it's common enough. They chose it because it is a disease you can get through no fault of your own, because you can live a long time with the virus in your system without dying, and because it is, eventually, a death sentence. It makes perfect sense. I don't insist that the writers make every minor character into a statement about current events. Eli's mother will almost certainly die sometime in the course of the series. This will make a major impact on him, which will in turn impact the plot. Nearly any other disease they could have chosen is either extremely uncommon, or it's not always terminal.

Comment

unless you live in an African country or a nurse then its not a big deal anymore. the reason they chose AIDS instead of say cancer, is because the audience will never believe that the government is able to travel between galaxies, teleport, battle intelligent aliens in space, cloak almost anything, time travel, all that and still not being able to cure a disease like cancer. AIDS i guess was a safer bet as it entered public conscious as an invincible disease.
                            sigpic

Comment

unless you live in an African country or a nurse then its not a big deal anymore. the reason they chose AIDS instead of say cancer, is because the audience will never believe that the government is able to travel between galaxies, teleport, battle intelligent aliens in space, cloak almost anything, time travel, all that and still not being able to cure a disease like cancer.
                              Then it was silly to choose AIDS in that case, considering the prospects of a cure-all for AIDS are much better than a cure-all for cancer by the very nature of the diseases themselves. Any biologist will tell you that the idea of a "cure for cancer" makes little (if any) sense, whereas with AIDS it can at least be defined by how best to inhibit the virus itself.
                              Sig by Pandora's Box
                              sigpic

Comment

unless you live in an African country or a nurse then its not a big deal anymore. the reason they chose AIDS instead of say cancer, is because the audience will never believe that the government is able to travel between galaxies, teleport, battle intelligent aliens in space, cloak almost anything, time travel, all that and still not being able to cure a disease like cancer.
                                o.0
                                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Working...
                                X