Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    what show doesn't contrive for drama?

After watching SG1, I can think of a few seasons, maybe not shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist

*ahem*
      ....DUH
      Yes it must hurt you when someone comes up with an argument that cripples your own. I’m sure your tactic of just ignoring it instead will work. And how is my point that said tension will simmer over several episodes due to SGU being an arc based show rather than occurring immediately not relevant the discussion?

Comment

Actually it's just the opposite.
        Fans are fanatics, they accept what they are given without question.
        Critics demand more. They have...a discerning palette so if something is not complete they question it.
        Please, don't try and make out that people demanding instant resolution to every issue that crops up or else they claim it's some sort of plot hole or bad writing are somehow more "critical" viewers than other people.

The story in SGU is one season long arc, until the season has ended nothing is complete and anyone with half a clue would grasp that plot points raised in one episode may not necessarily be resolved until several episodes further down the line. This does not make the episode the plot points were raised in incomplete, or open a plot hole, or demonstrate bad writing.

Threads like this one, which say that certain events should have happened or characters should have worked certain things out, are at this stage in the season misguided at best, and plain idiotic at worst.

Comment

Actually it's just the opposite.
          Fans are fanatics, they accept what they are given without question.
          Critics demand more. They have...a discerning palette so if something is not complete they question it.
          Uhh... no. Fans are generally smart, and they can swing either way (Towards acceptance or the unyielding need to be right about their little nitpicks about a show), and they all do not accept everything without question. So no - stop the generalising.

Again, I'll say that fans are generally smart, so they may actually look at a show like SGU and get that it's an arc show, where things aren't resolved in the same episode, and those unsolved things may come up again - it's how SGU's story is told. Instead of blindly accepting that every character is ignorant of Young's story, I, as one of the fans, am thinking about how it comes into play later, and if people are choosing to be ignorant or not.

So all critics are the opposite of fans? Critics are also generally smart. Critics look at the story at all sides, and they will pick holes or not if they see them. But, because they're smart, they'll also see that SGU is that kind of show described above, and may even ask themselves the same. Yeah, critics and fans can be grouped together - I know, what a shock!
          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Fans come in many flavours. There is no such thing a typical fan or "Fans are generally smart" or whatever unless you're going to conduct a sweeping survey of the millions of fans of Stargate Universe, complete with an IQ test.

So let's stop arguing about what constitutes a fan. Let's call the different kinds of fans for what they are:
            Critics
            Fanatics
            Shippers

etc.

So let's forgo the "fan" quasi-prefix and just go for it by calling them by their definition (without naming names or making sweeping negative assumptions about groups of fans).

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
              Fans come in many flavours. There is no such thing a typical fan or "Fans are generally smart" or whatever unless you're going to conduct a sweeping survey of the millions of fans of Stargate Universe, complete with an IQ test.

So let's stop arguing about what constitutes a fan. Let's call the different kinds of fans for what they are:
              Critics
              Fanatics
              Shippers

etc.

So let's forgo the "fan" quasi-prefix and just go for it by calling them by their definition (without naming names or making sweeping negative assumptions about groups of fans).
              Ok, so who gets to decide which of us fall into which categories? You? Why not just call those of us you don't agree with stupid and be done with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
                Ok, so who gets to decide which of us fall into which categories? You? Why not just call those of us you don't agree with stupid and be done with it?
                What part "Without naming names" did you not get? It is against rules to put specific users into compartments in demeaning ways, such as categorizing a user as a "Fanatic".

If we're going to talk about the different factions, we have to stop referring to them all as fans and then fight about how the word "fans" can mean many things and instead go straight to the "sub classes". But the forum rules are still in effect and they prevent us from, among other things, categorize specific users as specific sub classes of Stargate fans.

Comment

I'm thinking many of the people on Destiny have suspicions that Young's story isn't the truth, but since nobody can prove anything at this point, they've decided to say nothing (and maybe talk amongst themselves when Young isn't present). I did think that Scott and Eli (and Camille and a couple others) had a bit of a look on their faces as though they were wondering if the story was the truth or if there was something Young wasn't telling them.

As for the bit about the rockfall that supposedly killed Rush, that crashed ship was lodged into some rocks (if I remember right), and Rush was trying to get the hatch open. A better scenario from Young could have been that Rush futzing with the hatch could have jarred rocks loose and caused the whole thing to come tumbling down with him under it, and Young got himself all scraped up trying to get him out.

But then, what do I know??? We'll just have to wait and see what the next episode shows us.

Comment

It seems to me that the crew trusts Young, but not Rush. I could understand why they would believe his story, or just accept it.

But maybe they don't, we'll have to wait til next episode.
                    sigpic
                    http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                    http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                      Well this is a rather pointless thread.
                      Without naming names, this thread was started by someone.
                      [edit] Though the question raised, as to why the crew believed Young, is a good one. I guess no one had a reason not to believe Young - well apart from Eli...
                      It's possible that some don't quite believe Young but haven't voiced it yet. And Eli may put two and two together.
                      My opinion is that it's possible to discuss this issue without insulting the crew.
                      "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                      Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                      Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                      Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                      Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                        What part "Without naming names" did you not get? It is against rules to put specific users into compartments in demeaning ways, such as categorizing a user as a "Fanatic".

If we're going to talk about the different factions, we have to stop referring to them all as fans and then fight about how the word "fans" can mean many things and instead go straight to the "sub classes". But the forum rules are still in effect and they prevent us from, among other things, categorize specific users as specific sub classes of Stargate fans.
                        Apparently the part I didn't get was how it would be relevant to do that. Do you just assume that most people know which of your "sub-categories" they fall into? How do we discuss what "shippers" like when we don't know who defines that sub-group? DO most people know which group they fall into? This is the only forum I'm a member of where people bicker constantly. I'm new to this.

Bottom line though, "shipper" or "fanatic" or "critic"; don't we all like Star Gate in some way, shape, or form? Doesn't that essentially make us all "fans"?

Comment

I have done years of desert hiking in areas very similar to where they appeared to be. They were hiking in a wash which is usually very flat if you stay in it. There would be no way you could get any camera equipment to anywhere else. It really all depends how far they hiked from the gate as to what type of terrain they may have encountered. If it was miles then they could have encountered anything.

I listened to the show and Young didn’t say anyone was buried just that Rush tripped up a rockslide. It would be next to impossible to dislodge rocks big enough to bury someone. Bigger rocks are so heavy that one can usually hike right over them without any movement. Smaller 1-3 foot in diameter rocks yes. We have tried to roll bigger rocks down hills with everybody pushing. It is very hard to do. I was on a hike when someone was hiking down a steep hillside and they dislodged several 1-2 foot rocks. They impacted together on his leg and broke it. I have also had several instances where our group had to hike down a very steep hillside and dislodged several small rocks. They can roll quite a distance and pick up a lot of speed. If they hit someone solidly they could easily kill you. The scenario that could have occurred to produce the type injuries we saw on Young would be if they were both hiking down a steep hillside of loose dirt and rocks. If Rush was higher than Young and was moving fast he could have dislodged some small rocks and fallen knocking himself unconscious. Young could have been struck in the forehead by a glancing blow by a small dislodged rock the size of the one Rush hit him with and knocked down. He would roll and would get covered in dirt. I don't believe Rush would ever be buried but he could be knocked out or killed. If they were any distance from the gate Young would not have time to carry him back. If he indicated that Rush was not moving and there was a short time left to get back his story would be more believable. Contrary to what ones sees in the movies, carrying an incapacitated person over rugged terrain even a short distance is extremely difficult and would take some time.

Truth be told I have hiked hundreds of times over as rugged a terrain as exists anywhere. You have to be very careless or very rushed to knock yourself out. If time was very short and they had to run then sure it is definitely possible. But hiking back the way they hiked in or even faster it would never happen especially if they haven’t hiked very far and aren’t tired. Out of all the times I have hiked I have seen one broken leg and a couple of sprained ankles. Although the group I hike with are very experienced and fit. Most injuries are seen overwhelmingly in inexperienced out of shape hikers. Except for the military, most of the civilians do fall in that category.

I agree that Rush's lack of popularity will help quell suspicion.

Something I am curious about is why Lt. Scott never saw never saw the whole Kino footage of Rush taking the gun out of Spencer's room. Why would Lt Scott not finish watching it? It sounds like a bit of a plot contrivance to make Young’s story less likely to evoke suspicion. Obviously if everyone knew that Young had found out that Rush had framed him then they would be far more suspicious of his story.
                          Last edited by Blackhole; 08 December 2009, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Eli said that the rest of the footage was "corrupted", so nobody saw it.

Except Young. I'd hazard a guess that Eli may have went to Young with the entire Kino vid when he found it, and Young told him to cover it up by saying that a part of it was corrupted so he can handle Rush himself.

But that leads to a few more problems...

Comment

They are not idiots, just either afraid or dont care...Rush was not mr. popularity.

Comment

Let's take a step back and look at the circumstances. remember that young was just exonerated for being charged with murder. as a result, the essential crew (ie, cast members) know that someone on board had the audacity to do it. And when young came back alone, without rush, it doesn't take a genius to figure out who it was, and what the punishment.

Yes, he told one hell of a flimsy story about a rockslide, but that was the point. More important than the story, was the way he talked about it. His speech was cold, calculated, and emotionless. As he looked around Scott, Eli, and whoever else was there in the gateroom, you could easily sense that Young wasn't looking for their approval or sympathy. To me, it was almost like him giving an order, "Rush is no longer with us". Young is sending a message, you mess with me, and you will get left behind.

now, why would anyone want to challenge his story after that? Much easier, and smarter, to play dumb for the moment

Comment

Working...
                                X