The Chair (pt 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously people. What we know:
    What ever the chair does it interfaces with the brain. Thats a fact. Because we could see a scan of his head behind Rush popping up.

Screws/electrodes
    If it's only meant to interface in the brain. Why does it need screw? And those things screwed them self in place.

Implant
    If the chair was meaned to be used with an implant. Why is there no fail-safe to detect is someone sitting in there doesn't have the implant. Eg. an ancient child. But ofc. someone will say. Maybe all ancient had such an implant. If that where the case where are the other devices that need the implant to work with.

Password for the ship
    Why any smart person would think that the password for ship controll would be locked away in that system is beyond me. If the people that are going to use the ship came on board. Wouldn't they know the password? Why look it up.

Why make something like this
    No sane engineer would make something like this. Even with what we are experimenting on earth right now for controlled brain devices don't work like that.

Most obvious question
    We know the ship was send out to start seeding the galaxy. For some reason the ancients abandoned the project. My question is if they used that ship. Why would you go and sit in an outdated download device with outdated info while you could go and sit in one at home before the mission?

Comment

Originally posted by eonflux View Post

Screws/electrodes
      If it's only meant to interface in the brain. Why does it need screw? And those things screwed them self in place.
      LOL It was a bit pushing it. I guess it was only for the visual effect of seeing Volker (?) comatose in the chair. Blood add to the dramatic effect of the situation.
      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Looking over the scene with device in operation again; it didn't look like the electrodes went very far into his head. If you look at the scene you can see that blood is only present on the ends of the electrodes. This seems to indicate that the electrodes were only making contact with the sides of his head as opposed to drilling into his head. The ends of the electrodes are too flat (with the exception of the edges around the end) for them to be designed to drill into the head.

Franklin's convulsions seem to cause the electrodes to slice into the sides of his head. The flat ends on the electrodes would not be able to draw blood unless the user struggled significantly.

Comment

I bet he would come out fine and would be able to control the ship and make young look like an idiot once again.

Comment

The chair could just be broken. For example, it could have sensors to detect the size of a persons head to prevent physical contact, but after x million years the sensors have malfunctioned so the electrodes were inserted too far and caused damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenomenological View Post
              The chair could just be broken. For example, it could have sensors to detect the size of a persons head to prevent physical contact, but after x million years the sensors have malfunctioned so the electrodes were inserted too far and caused damage.
              Franklin may also have messed with the chairs settings before he sat down in it. Or Franklin may have needed to adjust the settings before using it. There seem to be a lot of controls associated with the chair. We shouldn't be messing with a technology until we know how to use it.

Yeah 100th post!
              Last edited by StargateBuilder; 06 December 2009, 05:34 PM.

Comment

It looked increadibly painful. we are alot less advanced than those that built Destiny and I doubt anyone would build something like that to transfer data.

I'm not sure why it's not shown that the crew isn't working to repair more of the ship, or look in the crates that the Ancients left on board. Seems like that would be priority #1.

Comment

My best guess is what everyone calls drills are more like clamps that lock down to the skull to immobolize the person so your brain is immobile during download. IE they are the precursor to the "hands" that grabed Jacks head. This makes a little sense. You would think that the chair packs a good punch and if you flop around too much you will scramble your brains.

As for the data there. I agree that the Destiny is too old for the info to be cutting edge. However, I do think that there are some flight programs and access codes involved. I can handle a season of not being able to access the controls but not an entire series.

Comment

Originally posted by hoffman17 View Post
                    It looked increadibly painful. we are alot less advanced than those that built Destiny and I doubt anyone would build something like that to transfer data.

I'm not sure why it's not shown that the crew isn't working to repair more of the ship, or look in the crates that the Ancients left on board. Seems like that would be priority #1.
                    Shouldn't we remember that were not dealing with the same ancients that fled Pegasus while under siege from the Wraith. The ancients that built the Destiny would have been one million + years behind in the elvoutionary path of the ancients before they ascended. So, in this case, were actually closer to the ancients physiologically in terms of those who built the Destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Fremont View Post
                      2) the chair is a million years old. Maybe it is malfunctioned, like so many other systems, which is why is drilled holes in Franklin's head?
                      That is one avenue that is logical to come up with..

Comment

1: the chair actually requires the ancient gene (a rudimentary system), and Rush simply was mistaken in Air because he didn't know about the interface at that time. Remember, he only had access to a few systems.

2: the chair was a prototype, and the Ancients never used it. So the technology was crude, imperfect, or just worn down.
                        Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                        encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                        3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                        4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                        5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                          1: the chair actually requires the ancient gene (a rudimentary system), and Rush simply was mistaken in Air because he didn't know about the interface at that time. Remember, he only had access to a few systems..
                          I know its only speculation but I think you are right. I speculate that we will find out it does require the ancient gene. The probes possibly determine this.

Comment

Originally posted by jcainhaze View Post
                            I know its only speculation but I think you are right. I speculate that we will find out it does require the ancient gene. The probes possibly determine this.
                            That would be interesting.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                              That would be interesting.
                              I think so too. It would be totally believable. Instead of hey sit in this chair and it will magically and automatically determine your genetics..........instead you get a hole drilled in your dome while the computer takes a sample and determines a few thing about you. It's possible Volker does have the gene.

Comment

Originally posted by jcainhaze View Post
                                I think so too. It would be totally believable. Instead of hey sit in this chair and it will magically and automatically determine your genetics..........instead you get a hole drilled in your dome while the computer takes a sample and determines a few thing about you. It's possible Volker does have the gene.
                                I fell like Chloe and Eli are the ones I would believe most as having the gene. Only because all of the scientists and military would have been tested for the gene and/or given the ATA therapy, and if they had it/the therapy took, they would have likely been stationed on Atlantis. Since Chloe and Eli weren't in the SG program, I'd buy them having the gene much more than anyone else.

Perfecto!

Comment

Working...
                                X