No announcement yet.

The Chair (pt 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he clearly turned it to the wrong setting before sitting in it.... i mean who puts it on 'catatonic' on the first go....he should have instead tried 'dazed' or even 'mild headache'...

Comment

well since it is a chair and like other ancient/ori chairs we have seen i think it is a conduit used to interface with the ship and its controls (navigation, weapons, etc) and therefore all the knowledge within it, afterall what is the point of downloading all of the knowledge into a SINGLE person. Having the actual data in front of you is more practical this is probably right since the data needs to be stored somewhere on the ship right?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AdamTM View Post
        My friend has actually a pretty good theory on this.

It could be that the early ancient captain of such a ship would come prepared with a sort of surgical implants, so the chair only attaches to the implant instead of the head directly.

You know, Matrix style.
        That is an interesting look at it. Or perhaps they made forays into combining humans and robots (kinda like the hybreds from BSG) to run the ship.

Comment

Honestly seems more like the writers just felt like putting in some junk for eye chocking candy. I mean even this day and age we have the ability to scan a person's brain and perhaps interpret the person's inentions. There have been examples of people able to perform very simple functions of a robot or machine by their brain being scanned and them concentrating.

You'd think the Ancients would have something better than the "brain drill", even if it is some of their oldest technology. I mean honestly, who thinks of a great piece of technology and adds in a bit that bores into one's head. Seems like something Hannibal Lecter would invent, not the ancients who never did anything else gross or sadistic.

Comment

It must be for implants. If it was for direct neural download from the ships computer system that would be just stupid. Even at that point in their evolution I find it unbelievable they would need to drill someones brain........unless to implant a device.

If you can build the Destiny and God knows how many other awsome ships + ring transporters + stones that use subspace to transfer entire conciousness through subspace accross vast galactic distances........well then I'm sure there is no need to drill holes in heads simply to make a computer connection. No way.

Besides the implant idea the only other thing I can think of is it possibly using the probes to extract DNA or info from the user as a sort of post ancient gene technology. Maybe the drill was for that reason alone. Or maybe it only drill your skull if it confirms you are not infact an Ancient.

I kinda like the pre DNA ancient gene sampling thing personally. In atlantis it's like some sort of scanners just simply read everything about you and instantly knew if you poses the gene. Maybe not so simple back in the old Destiny days.

Comment

That was strange.... It wasn't very ancienty..

Even goauld have better tech than that.

Comment

Originally posted by koroush47 View Post
                That was strange.... It wasn't very ancienty..

Even goauld have better tech than that.
                Yeah I know. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about it. More or less it was hugely retarded. They better have a damn good explination for it. But chances of that are almost 0.

Comment

Originally posted by jcainhaze View Post
                  Yeah I know. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about it. More or less it was hugely retarded. They better have a damn good explination for it. But chances of that are almost 0.
                  Maybe the ancients had some kinda helmet they had to wear to make contact with the things, so it would not harm the user and it worked more effectively.

Why would you have rods stick into somebodys head just to transfer information? I mean they made the stargates, wormholes... and they can't make a decent information transfer device?

Comment

Originally posted by koroush47 View Post
                    Maybe the ancients had some kinda helmet they had to wear to make contact with the things, so it would not harm the user and it worked more effectively.

Why would you have rods stick into somebodys head just to transfer information? I mean they made the stargates, wormholes... and they can't make a decent information transfer device?
                    Yeah that's a great idea. Make it like a crash helmet. You know...since the Ancients are basically retarded.

Comment

Two things ....

1) Rush forcibly stuck Franklin in the chair as he is planning some Josef Mangele type expieriments with the crew. Young knew this which is why he left him on the planet (I posted this elsewhere).

2) the chair is a million years old. Maybe it is malfunctioned, like so many other systems, which is why is drilled holes in Franklin's head?

Comment

Originally posted by jcainhaze View Post
                        Yeah that's a great idea. Make it like a crash helmet. You know...since the Ancients are basically retarded.
                        I think Rush was just wrong, they didnt find the bridge but the Lobotomy Lab.
                        Later, AdamTM

I swear a lot, just take it as my attempt at honesty.

Stargate Atlantis Unlimited

Stargate Universe - BSG Style

Stargate Universe - Monk Style

SGU SUCKS

Comment

To add to the brain drill discussion: Maybe the electrodes didn't drill into Franklin's temples. Franklin clearly had a seizure. Maybe he just hit his head on the electrodes.

But I have another point for the chair. Around the chair are at least 3 consoles. Neither in Atlantis nor around the repositories were any other consoles. This leads me to the conclusion, that these consoles are needed for the use of the chair. Like someone sits in the chair but someone at one of the consoles presses the start and stop button. As the chair user is restricted this would make sense.
                          But if this is true, who started the chair? Maybe Rush was there before Franklin sat down, maybe he forced Franklin to "voluntize" for an experiment... That would be really cool, or?

Comment

i doubt the chair works with implants, that would mean only those with implants can use it to control the ship.... that wouldn't be a very smart design since it precludes the possibility of just any Ancient from using the systems.

i still like my original thought. even if it is unlikely it's an interesting possibility....that aliens who boarded the ship at some point found that the chair was the only way to control the ship / access data and tried to make modifications to the chair so it was compatible with their brains....

Comment

Originally posted by StargateBuilder View Post
                              The electrodes on the chair did not seem to be designed to interface with implants.

My theory is that Franklin’s seizure during the download process caused the electrodes to cut and damage the sides of his head. His seizure was probably a result of his brain not being advanced enough to handle the massive information download. The procedure would probably leave only small marks on an Ancients head because they would not react violently to the procedure due to their more advanced physiology being able to handle the massive information download. The Ancients never intended the device to be used by humans.
                              I also belive this.

Comment

The only thing Rush did wrong about the chair is possibly lying to people about the possibility of it bringing them home. We know Rush is not interested in going back to earth. He probably more interested in the chair for other reasons (maybe knowledge of ascension). Obviously, we can't know why since we don't have enough information, we don't know his basic motivation for him to be on the Destiny (its just an old Ancient ship, in a "boring" galaxy, after all). The only thing we know is him looking at a picture of what seem to be his wife, and him cutting short talks of ascension with Eli.
                                Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Working...
                                X