No announcement yet.

The Chair (pt 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The electrodes on the chair did not seem to be designed to interface with implants.

My theory is that Franklin’s seizure during the download process caused the electrodes to cut and damage the sides of his head. His seizure was probably a result of his brain not being advanced enough to handle the massive information download. The procedure would probably leave only small marks on an Ancients head because they would not react violently to the procedure due to their more advanced physiology being able to handle the massive information download. The Ancients never intended the device to be used by humans.

Comment

Well they werent close to ascension at that time so the amount of information isnt that large...i hope.

Comment

Originally posted by The Swarm View Post
        Well they werent close to ascension at that time so the amount of information isnt that large...i hope.
        Most of the Ancients during that time probably weren't as close to ascension. The information in the early repository chair is probably miniscule when compared to the amount of information found in the newer repositories in the Milky Way. Even so the amount of information the early repository chair does contain is still too much for us to handle.
        Spoiler:
        The amount of information in Ancient repositories in the Milky Way was speculated to be truly infinite by the Asgard and even they were barely able to scratch the surface of the information that was contained inside.
        Last edited by StargateBuilder; 05 December 2009, 11:39 AM.

Comment

my 2 cents:

1. he doesn't have the ancient gene so his brain got smashed during the process, protective action from the chair so anyone that isn't the person to be on it don't try to 'hack' it again
          2. It's and old school chair, and it worked like that before they got better technologies to enter in the human brain. He got the info, he'll just take more time to heal and deal with the knowledge.

My opinion goes for the 2nd, because i feel that the scenarists will want to say that Rush was right all along and that Young made a ****ty decision to leave Rush on the planet. I believe Rush was right when he talked about the life and death decision, Young hasn't the leader skills O'neill had, if people would have want to dimiss his authority on the ship he would have kick all of their asses right away. Young has to step up A LOT MORE, that's why Rush was right.

Comment

Originally posted by Meryl View Post
            my 2 cents:

1. he doesn't have the ancient gene so his brain got smashed during the process, protective action from the chair so anyone that isn't the person to be on it don't try to 'hack' it again
            2. It's and old school chair, and it worked like that before they got better technologies to enter in the human brain. He got the info, he'll just take more time to heal and deal with the knowledge.

My opinion goes for the 2nd, because i feel that the scenarists will want to say that Rush was right all along and that Young made a ****ty decision to leave Rush on the planet. I believe Rush was right when he talked about the life and death decision, Young hasn't the leader skills O'neill had, if people would have want to dimiss his authority on the ship he would have kick all of their asses right away. Young has to step up A LOT MORE, that's why Rush was right.
            Also this is pre-ancient-gene technology, so 1. fails on its own.
            Ancient-Gene tech is usually non-invasive, as seen on atlantis and the Antarctica chair. None of the techs did something with needles or drills.
            Later, AdamTM

I swear a lot, just take it as my attempt at honesty.

Stargate Atlantis Unlimited

Stargate Universe - BSG Style

Stargate Universe - Monk Style

SGU SUCKS

Comment

Originally posted by AdamTM View Post
              Also this is pre-ancient-gene technology, so 1. fails on its own.
              Ancient-Gene tech is usually non-invasive, as seen on atlantis and the Antarctica chair. None of the techs did something with needles or drills.
              Wouldn't it be possible that it's a beta chair? Since it's older technology?

Comment

Originally posted by eonflux View Post
                What if this is the way to punish criminal ancients.
                Interesting theory. After seeing that the electro probes are more like brain surgery drills, this chair looks either like something that can microchip the brain or an ancient torture chamber device, similar to our modern day electric chair..!

Originally posted by eonflux View Post
                Btw why was rush there. Was here there before Eli got back???
                It's possible Rush was monitoring the chair data from whatver room he was originally located in, and saw an immediate RED flag go up -- before Eli came back with any "food". Thus, it is possible that Rush was there before Eli returned, and that Rush was trying to figure out what to do, etc., or what info was showing up on the ship's computer -- which really doesn't help Rush's character from being possibly shown as willing to sacrifice a person's life from any potential info or lessons learned in the name of science.

Had a feeling the end result from the food request was going to have the scientist guy (Franklin?) do something drastic.. anything to get Eli out of sight.. the temptation to resist was just too much.

Comment

I think Eli got there first, he's the one that radioed for help. Rush probably heard the radio and came as fast as he could, and got there before Young and TJ.

Comment

Originally posted by StargateBuilder View Post
                    The “repository chair” did not seem to fit the Ancients style of technology at all. The interface process seems a lot more bloody and damaging than what I expected it to be. It seemed to be drilling into the skull to access the brain tissue. I originally thought that the device would leave a small puncture (the same way the Goa’uld memory recall device does), instead it left too big holes in the side of the “repository chair” users head.
                    Originally posted by Abiron View Post
                    If we assume that the Destiny's designers anticipated a long gap between her launch and any Ancients actually boarding her, then it makes sense that the chair was placed aboard primarily to instruct these "latecomers" on how to operate the ship. Or perhaps it downloads everything that the seeder ships have so far sent back. Or perhaps - and this is way out there - it creates some sort of neural interface with Destiny herself. The probes aren't trying to penetrate the brain to insert knowledge, but some sort of implants designed to give the subject direct control of the ship itself. Unlikely, yes, but it might explain why penetration of the skull is required.
                    it's definitely not a full repository. Like Abiron said, it makes sense that it's designed to let the ancients who eventually board the ship know what went on in the hundreds of thousands to millions of years that had passed. Thus, there won't be any info on ascension, but there will be ship logs, command codes, etc.

finally, it makes sense how crude the interface is, although the prop department went a bit too far. We know that millions of years later, the height of ancient tech pre-ascension was the chair interface. Reading neural impulses from your hands. It would make sense that version 1.0 would require more direct access to the brain and be less sophisticated. However, i don't think it was supposed to drill into your brain. As someone posted earlier, the ancients at that time would most likely have neural implants that the chair screwed into (like the tokra memory devices).

Comment

I was thinking that maybe the chair interfaced with some sort of implant, would we know what the implant interface would look like? As for a safety; perhaps they already overrode that safety when they were looking for the codes?
                      What if this isn't some sort of database download, like the teachers that O'neil ran into, but the main controls for the ship it self? Someone sits in that chair, it burrows into the brain, and once the two systems are merged enough, the guy in the chair controls the whole ship. I mean, the things has restraints, so it seems that they didn't want that person to get up, or they new the process was painful. What if the chair is the 'bridge'?

Comment

The electrodes do not look like they were designed to interface with an implant. I am just purely speculating as we have no idea how the device was actually designed to function. My theory on why the chair seemed to be so crude is quoted from a previous post I made.

The electrodes on the chair did not seem to be designed to interface with implants.

My theory is that Franklin’s seizure during the download process caused the electrodes to cut and damage the sides of his head. His seizure was probably a result of his brain not being advanced enough to handle the massive information download. The procedure would probably leave only small marks on an Ancients head because they would not react violently to the procedure due to their more advanced physiology being able to handle the massive information download. The Ancients never intended the device to be used by humans.

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
                          I was thinking that maybe the chair interfaced with some sort of implant, would we know what the implant interface would look like? As for a safety; perhaps they already overrode that safety when they were looking for the codes?
                          What if this isn't some sort of database download, like the teachers that O'neil ran into, but the main controls for the ship it self? Someone sits in that chair, it burrows into the brain, and once the two systems are merged enough, the guy in the chair controls the whole ship. I mean, the things has restraints, so it seems that they didn't want that person to get up, or they new the process was painful. What if the chair is the 'bridge'?
                          I dont think its a repository either, its more of an early lantian control chair.
                          Though for anyone sitting there controling the ship for periods of time i still say the drilling into the skull wasnt intended, it needs to be locked on to some sort of implant.

No sane engineer would design something that was so painful to use every time, you cant be walking around with holes in your head!

Cant imagine anyone would volunteer to sit in this thing, even if they knew its safe for their brains and all. I still say there is something missing to fully control it.

Either that, OR its designed to put the implants in your head when you sit down the first time, and then it never does it again.
                          So now fat guy has implants and can control the ship if he ever wakes up.
                          Later, AdamTM

I swear a lot, just take it as my attempt at honesty.

Stargate Atlantis Unlimited

Stargate Universe - BSG Style

Stargate Universe - Monk Style

SGU SUCKS

Comment

Originally posted by StargateBuilder View Post
                            The “repository chair” did not seem to fit the Ancients style of technology at all. The interface process seems a lot more bloody and damaging than what I expected it to be. It seemed to be drilling into the skull to access the brain tissue. I originally thought that the device would leave a small puncture (the same way the Goa’uld memory recall device does), instead it left too big holes in the side of the “repository chair” users head.
                            I saw only a flash, but it looked more like the skin around the temples was scratched off (rather violently, I agree). They do that these days for research as well, but not till it bleeds, just your outer dead skin tissue since it isn't conductive.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
                              I saw only a flash, but it looked more like the skin around the temples was scratched off (rather violently, I agree). They do that these days for research as well, but not till it bleeds, just your outer dead skin tissue since it isn't conductive.
                              It also left some nasty marks on the sides of his head. Wonder how long it will take Franklin to recover. He should not have sat in the chair in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Dii-Reno View Post
                                Looks like an ancient dentist chair to me.
                                LOL. That's what I was thinking. Maybe Greer was right after all. Only this dentists' chair cures your toothache by giving you a colossal headache.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Working...
                                X