Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets Play Stratedgy, How would you of defended destiny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the idea of simply moving the gate would fail. We know the dialling mechanisms are inside the floor. I doubt the gate is at all easy to remove.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenomenological View Post
      I think the idea of simply moving the gate would fail. We know the dialling mechanisms are inside the floor. I doubt the gate is at all easy to remove.
      Well we could detach it and then reatach it once the threat is over. I mean all the civillians are scientists, how many would it take to take a Stargate out and reinstall it? Moving it would be the biggest problem, that thing is probably really heavy.
      sigpic
      Doci of the BAG

Comment

They could have moved the stargate closer to the wall but just out of range of the initial splash. Then as they fly in, they'd hit the wall and break some bones.

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
          I can't remember what happens when you enter the event horizon from the other way. Do you end up back on the other end? I thought stargate wormholes were one way. But then I do recall an episode in the stargate franchise where someone exited a stargate and shot back into it. What happens to those bullets?

And what about the prisioner planet episode where a piece of long wood came out of th event horizon to funnel food gloop, then only to retract itself, as in going the wrong way in the event horizon. And if they could go both ways in the event horizon, then they could have evacuated everyone from Atlantis by dialing the gate from Earth. And radio waves seem to transmit both ways. So what gives.
          i think its fair to say the prisoner planet one was a blooper it has been stated loads of times that things arent sent to the destination until they have fully entered the gate they are leaving from and there was an episode of sg1 where they sent a malp through to a planet where the gate had been knocked over it exited the gate and then slipped back in to the event horizon signal lost is what it said on the computers in sgc i think that means it was gone so laying the gate on its back when not in use would be perfect

Comment

venting the gate room till they faint and attack them would be a smarter strategy.

Young screwed again and no one warned him again, so , writers screwed...
            Nou ani Anquietas

Comment

Originally posted by janus4ever View Post
              Young screwed again and no one warned him again, so , writers screwed...
              Uhm, no. Young did, an intentional move by the writers. And I like it.
              sigpic

Comment

get enough of the spacesuits that function as they can, and ready some air tanks, vent the section of the ship that the lucians are in, as they're all gasping for air, the spacesuited crew burst in, shoot the lucians who are lunging for their masks, and rescue the captives, hooking them up with the extra air tanks and get them evacuated as the suited crew finish killing off the lucians. Problem solved :3

Comment

The problem Young has is resources and time. He is unable to move the gate in any way (for a start it's buried in the floor, remember the ring goes through holes in the floor to allow it to spin) and even if it weren't the thing is really damn heavy. Even with ropes and stuff it would be really difficult and time consuming to reposition it in any way.

He has nothing to build an iris or iris equivalent out of, and its for damn sure he has no gas or anything to incapacitate the incoming travellers. Yes he screwed up by not venting immediately but if we forgive him that there is not a lot more he could have done. It would have been nice to have a few flashbangs or Goa'auld stun grenades come through ahead of the LA just to show why he couldn't have a defense team but maybe that (or the conversation about it) was cut for time.

BTW if you go through the puddle the wrong way you are disintergrated just like if you get caught in the kawoosh. The reason the food pipe worked on the prison planet is because it never completely emerged from the puddle, the same reason Jack was able to keep the "door open" from the other end by sticking his arm in the event horizon in the ep where he pretended to join the rogue NID.

My opinion, he should have laid some claymores or something if not in the gateroom then in the corridor outside. It's difficult to come up with strategies when we don't know what they have to work with however.
                  "The laws of favours are amongst the most fundamental in the multiverse. The first law is: nobody asks for just one favour; the second request (after the granting of the first favour), prefaced by ‘and can I be really cheeky…?’ is the asking of the second favour. If the aforesaid second request is not granted, the second law ensures that the need for any gratitude for the first favour is nullified, and in accordance with the third law the favour giver has not done any favours at all, and the favour field collapses." - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

Just had a thought, maybe Young should have radioed Keeva the minute the gate connected and bluffed her: "We have activated a force sheild on this side, and anyone who steps through will be instantly killed". Although come to think of it she may have called his bluff, particularly since the planet was blowing up around her.
                    "The laws of favours are amongst the most fundamental in the multiverse. The first law is: nobody asks for just one favour; the second request (after the granting of the first favour), prefaced by ‘and can I be really cheeky…?’ is the asking of the second favour. If the aforesaid second request is not granted, the second law ensures that the need for any gratitude for the first favour is nullified, and in accordance with the third law the favour giver has not done any favours at all, and the favour field collapses." - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

I should really read all of the posts in a thread before putting in my 2 cents, if I had, I would have seen that other people mentioned the points I raised about the gate being in the floor, and being heavy. D'oh!

Comment

Originally posted by bobsuncorp View Post
                        He has nothing to build an iris or iris equivalent out of, and its for damn sure he has no gas or anything to incapacitate the incoming travellers.
                        Well, he could decrease the oxygen level enough that people pass out but don't die. Also, didn't they bring any flashbangs with them? They could somehow set up a trip wire or remote control (could be as simple as a guy in the hallway holding a string tied to the pin) to momentarily stun the LA people and storm the room during the confusion.

BTW if you go through the puddle the wrong way you are disintergrated just like if you get caught in the kawoosh. The reason the food pipe worked on the prison planet is because it never completely emerged from the puddle, the same reason Jack was able to keep the "door open" from the other end by sticking his arm in the event horizon in the ep where he pretended to join the rogue NID.
                        They've been a little inconsistent about this -- the food pipe on the prison planet was able to go partway through the gate and then come back again when feeding time was over, but in an Atlantis episode a puddle jumper stuck in the gate wouldn't rematerialize on the other side until it was all the way through. In Air 3 when Eli stuck his arm in the gate to keep it open, his hand didn't stick out the other side.

My opinion, he should have laid some claymores or something if not in the gateroom then in the corridor outside. It's difficult to come up with strategies when we don't know what they have to work with however.
                        Large explosives in confined spaces (i.e. corridors on a ship) isn't a good idea when your own troops are in the immediate area.

Comment

I would have executed the plan I originally set in motion.

VENT THE ROOM

Clean the bodies up later.

Seeing Telford enter the room, I'd have disconnected the stones to save Rush (only to find it had already been done) and ordered a team on standby to retrieve Telford and attempt to revive him as soon as the gate closed.

Comment

Originally posted by dgh64 View Post

They've been a little inconsistent about this -- the food pipe on the prison planet was able to go partway through the gate and then come back again when feeding time was over, but in an Atlantis episode a puddle jumper stuck in the gate wouldn't rematerialize on the other side until it was all the way through. In Air 3 when Eli stuck his arm in the gate to keep it open, his hand didn't stick out the other side.
                            IMO the difference between the prison planet and the Jumper in 38 minutes was that if it had been possible to apply the reverse thrust necessary to fight against the Gate's inertia then they would have been able to get out of that. Don't forget that when you start to enter the gate then it automatically tries to pull you through. It is possible to pull out again, but only if there is more of you outside the gate than in, or if the force was great enough. I always got the impression that the pulling force increased the greater amount of an object started to go through. In the case of the Jumper, at first the engine got stuck, this robbed them of their momentum and then their position and damage to the ship prevented them from applying the necessary reverse thrust.

Comment

The Foolproff Foolproof Matt Silver 3k defence, as stated by This Fool:

For this demonstration, the part of Colonel Everett Young will be played by Matt Silver.

- Upon activation of the Stargate, vent the atmosphere.

- Wait a minute or so for them to finally die. Turns out that in a minute they're more than capable of using their door openers or gas masks to escape the room's effects.

- Curse softly at yourself. Notice Telford's return, make a snarky comment about how he won't be screwing your wife Emily now. Laugh maniacally and imagine the fun you will have with TJ when she gets her figure back.

- Have your soldiers try a firefight in close quarters. Have them fail miserably - both sides get wounded, but only a scratch. Some lucky LA guy gets a thread of devotion to equal BAG's for shooting Chloe.

- Retreat, close off the ship, hope like all hell TJ doesn't get captur-

- Son of a blitch. Return ventilation to the gate room as good faith, work on a ceasefire of sorts with Wray.

- Defence: Failed. Negotiation/Hopeless Arguing and Yelling: In progress.

- Realise that Telford could attempt to seduce Emily through another body. Worked on her once...

- Son of a blitch.

I maintain venting wouldn't have helped much beyond pissing off the LA a bit and maybe hurting Telford's feelings, thus dampening chances of getting out of this with Riley and TJ, at least, alive.
                              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                                The Foolproff Foolproof Matt Silver 3k defence, as stated by This Fool:

For this demonstration, the part of Colonel Everett Young will be played by Matt Silver.

- Upon activation of the Stargate, vent the atmosphere.

- Wait a minute or so for them to finally die. Turns out that in a minute they're more than capable of using their door openers or gas masks to escape the room's effects.

- Curse softly at yourself. Notice Telford's return, make a snarky comment about how he won't be screwing your wife Emily now. Laugh maniacally and imagine the fun you will have with TJ when she gets her figure back.

- Have your soldiers try a firefight in close quarters. Have them fail miserably - both sides get wounded, but only a scratch. Some lucky LA guy gets a thread of devotion to equal BAG's for shooting Chloe.

- Retreat, close off the ship, hope like all hell TJ doesn't get captur-

- Son of a blitch. Return ventilation to the gate room as good faith, work on a ceasefire of sorts with Wray.

- Defence: Failed. Negotiation/Hopeless Arguing and Yelling: In progress.

- Realise that Telford could attempt to seduce Emily through another body. Worked on her once...

- Son of a blitch.

I maintain venting wouldn't have helped much beyond pissing off the LA a bit and maybe hurting Telford's feelings, thus dampening chances of getting out of this with Riley and TJ, at least, alive.
                                epic yelling and shouting brings around some other alien species that have been listening to the signals from the Destiny ever since they've entered the galaxy. They assume from this that the Destiny is a threat and proceed to eat the Destiny whole, slurping the ship into it's gullet, whale-fashion. Of course, with the shields, the Destiny won't succumb immediately and so the yelling will continue for a bit more, upsetting the belly of the great beast. In an effort to disgorge the Destiny, the creature heaves up the license plate that Young had fastened to the outside declaring that it really was his ship all along.....

this is fun
                                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Working...
                                X