Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Did Scott Ever Pass Military Training?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
    *shoots you in the head*
    There, problem solved
    Gee, I feel so much better now.

Comment

Scott was right to question Young, and further, to question any order. That being said, Scott is very green, and there's something soft in his character to the point that I think that Young is shielding him from hard decisions that he doesn't want to see Scott's hands dirtied with. It's a failure on both parts and perhaps Scott may never be suited to make what some would call the hard decisions but a part of that is that Young perhaps needs to stop trying to keep Scott's hands clean.
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Fact that he listens to Wray rather than Young speaks volumes IMHO.
        He's not "listening" to Wray instead of Young. He agreed with Wray in that instance and told her.

The fact of the matter is, and I stated this before, Scott is exceptional the way he is. Young is a faltering commander at best, it is absolutely necessary for Scott to question his orders - and as The Mighty 6 Platoon pointed out, it isn't "un-soldier" to question a superiors orders on occasion.

Originally posted by shai hulud
        questionable morality
        You're joking, right? He has sex - so what? He's still more moral than most of the other people on the ship.

Comment

scott passed , may be cause the training session did not include executing prisoners cold headed.

also, questioning the situation is supposed to be part of good judgment skills, following blindly colonel's questionable acts does not make sense. who could say ..... may be colonel was an LA agent or a goauld trying to wipe out the traces by killing telford?

besides he has taken oath to serve the nation, not colonel young.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
            Scott was right to question Young, and further, to question any order. That being said, Scott is very green, and there's something soft in his character to the point that I think that Young is shielding him from hard decisions that he doesn't want to see Scott's hands dirtied with. It's a failure on both parts and perhaps Scott may never be suited to make what some would call the hard decisions but a part of that is that Young perhaps needs to stop trying to keep Scott's hands clean.
            I agree that his is very green but I disagree that there is anything soft in his character. All I have seen is he is very compassionate and tries to do the right thing. Scott certainly has a right to be clued in to Young’s rational for Telford's treatment? There has already been a mutiny on the ship once already and one can't fault Scott for trying to prevent the apparent murder of two people.

That being said there is something to the importance of keeping both Scott and Wray in the dark to preserve the theater of the threat that Young was presenting to Telford. Young probably knew this and did what was necessary. Afterward, I think it would have been good to have explained this to Scott.
            Last edited by Blackhole; 05 June 2010, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
              I agree that his is very green but I disagree that there is anything soft in his character. All I have seen is he is very compassionate and tries to do the right thing. Young should have clued Scott into his rational for Telford's treatment? There has already been a mutiny on the ship once already and one can't fault Scott for trying to prevent the apparent murder of two people.

That being said there is something to the importance of keeping both Scott and Wray in the dark to preserve the theater of the threat that Young was presenting to Telford.
              You're correct, in that I should have chosen my words more carefully, 'soft' meaning something a little different to me. On a compassionate scale, I do tend to see him as being considerably more compassionate than Young. Not that Young is incapable, but that Scott hasn't had enough experiences to temper his compassion. I still tend to think that Young tends to shield Scott from these kinds of decisions. Who knows, maybe Young regrets having to make these decisions himself, but in any case, I saw it as a problem. Scott disobeying an order I get; he's done so since the pilot episode, but the distrust, if that's what it is? Who knows, we may see this come out in later episodes and I'm willing to give it the time it needs to develop.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                You're correct, in that I should have chosen my words more carefully, 'soft' meaning something a little different to me. On a compassionate scale, I do tend to see him as being considerably more compassionate than Young. Not that Young is incapable, but that Scott hasn't had enough experiences to temper his compassion. I still tend to think that Young tends to shield Scott from these kinds of decisions. Who knows, maybe Young regrets having to make these decisions himself, but in any case, I saw it as a problem. Scott disobeying an order I get; he's done so since the pilot episode, but the distrust, if that's what it is? Who knows, we may see this come out in later episodes and I'm willing to give it the time it needs to develop.
                If you mean you think Young regards Scott in a fatherly and protective way then I agree with you.

I think a big part of the problem he has had with the civilians has been his style of command; he can be dismissive and cold which doesn't inspire obedience but threatens it.
                Last edited by Blackhole; 05 June 2010, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
                  If you mean you think Young regards Scott in a fatherly and protective way then I agree with you. I think a big part of the problem Young has is his style of command; he can be dismissive and cold which doesn't inspire obedience but threatens it.
                  yes, I do think he sees Scott in that way, which may be getting in the way of what he needs to be actually teaching Scott. I'm only half agreeing on dismissive and cold, because while I think he's shown that he is perfectly capable of being that way, he's also shown that he's not only that. It's both. He both inspires obedience and threatens it. It just happens to matter where you are on that scale
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shai Hulud View Post
                    A pun on Scott's sexual proclivities?
                    no wonder I didn't get it....

Comment

Originally posted by Save Chloe View Post
                      Greer never questions what Col. Young does, because he knows his place. Scott was sounding like a little wimp. "Waahh, you're gonna kill him, waaaaah". Shut up and be a soldier Scott!
                      There's a difference between a soldier and an officer. Scott is an officer albeit lower ranked than Young. As stated by others, in some situations on morals and ethics there is leeway to question a command. In an unrelated example, if you deem your superior as mentally unfit for duty you maybe entitled to relieve him or her of command and take control of the troops. I wonder if this topic is covered in officer training.

Comment

The fact that Scott is in the line of duty on Destiny when he should be pushing a pen somewhere and banging his secretary in the stationary cupboard is indicative of the 'Wrong people' situation. Scott needs to shape up and take some lessons from Greer. Greer knows best.
                        Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

No, Greer doesn't always know best. No one knows best all the time. In this instances, Scott was 100% correct to be questioning Young. Scott did not know what Young was doing and, as far as he knew, Young was killing Telford for no reason. Allowing it would have made Scott just as culpable as Young because he allowed it to happen. It is his duty to question and not follow illegal orders. He perceived, correctly based on his knowledge of the situation, that Young was doing something illegal.

Scott said that if he knew Telford was brainwashed and that killing him and bringing him back would break the brainwashing, he would have supported Young from the start.
                          I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

If you disagree with Greer knowing best you've not been 3 rounds with Greer. Greer always knows best after 3 rounds.
                            Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

At this point, if i were Young, i would exchange Scott for TJ. Not considering the fact that shes pregnant with his child, at least as a soldier, she follows orders and knows to keep her personal opinions to herself, and shut it.

Let Scott spend the afternoon with Kiva, maybe then he'll respect his superiors. You didnt see him pull that crap when O'Neill was on board, did you?

Comment

If Young was pulled up on committing an illegal act then Greer, blindly following, would have been for the high jump as well. Scott was right to question Young but the whole thing could have been avoided had Young said what he intended.

Comment

Working...
                                X