Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Did Scott Ever Pass Military Training?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Save Chloe View Post
    Greer never questions what Col. Young does, because he knows his place. Scott was sounding like a little wimp. "Waahh, you're gonna kill him, waaaaah". Shut up and be a soldier Scott!
    Err, it's Scott's job to question his superior if he thinks he's about to commit illegal actions. It's his duty to stop him. Please actually know something about the military before jumping to conclusions.

Comment

This argument always reminds me of SGA's "Instinct".

DEX: Aren't we supposed to follow his orders?

TEYLA: Sometimes, we are allowed to make exceptions.

DEX: And who decides when it's one of those times?

TEYLA: We do.
      It seems to sum up the way things work in practice pretty well. I take it to mean that if the orders are inappropriate for a developing situation and the officer in charge can't or won't change them, then those who serve under that officer have some leeway.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
        This argument always reminds me of SGA's "Instinct".

It seems to sum up the way things work in practice pretty well. I take it to mean that if the orders are inappropriate for a developing situation and the officer in charge can't or won't change them, then those who serve under that officer have some leeway.
        All orders are subject to change on the ground. If you've just had an order to charge an enemy position passed down from HQ, but you've just discovered an enemy machine gun nest in the way, then no one will raise an eyebrow if those orders are disregarded.

If an order is downright illegal, then not only to those receiving it have the duty not to obey, but if at all possible prevent the execution of that order and report it.
        Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; 05 June 2010, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
          All orders are subject to change on the ground. If you've just had an order to charge an enemy position passed down from HQ, but you've just discovered an enemy machine gun nest in the way, then no one will raise an eyebrow if those orders are disregarded.

If an order is downright illegal, then not only to those receiving it have the duty not to obey, but if at all possible prevent the execution of that order
          and report it.
          That's what I thought, but my military training has consisted entirely of a lot of TV, so I just wanted to check.
          sigpic

Comment

Those female instructors can be easily convinced
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
              That's what I thought, but my military training has consisted entirely of a lot of TV, so I just wanted to check.
              Clearly you've been watching the more realistic shows then.

Comment

I love how the one person who is extremely familiar with military matters in this thread is diametrically opposed to the view others are taking of "Scott needs to be a REAL soldier!!!11", yet those others are convinced they're right.

Not to pull a Godwin's law or anything, but if you're going to say that soldier's must ALWAYS obey their superior officers without question, then you cannot fault anyone in the Nazi regime for what they did save for the superior officers that gave those orders. After all, they were just "being good soldiers", amirite?!

Sure, this example is very far removed in magnitude...but the underlying idea is the same. Also, thanks go out to The Mighty 6 platoon for his insight. I can't green you at the moment though.
                Sig by Pandora's Box
                sigpic

Comment

Thing is though, Scott's making a habit of questioning or ignoring Young's orders. Hardly the sort of actions which the Captain of Team Young should be displaying.
                  Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                    I love how the one person who is extremely familiar with military matters in this thread is diametrically opposed to the view others are taking of "Scott needs to be a REAL soldier!!!11", yet those others are convinced they're right.

Not to pull a Godwin's law or anything, but if you're going to say that soldier's must ALWAYS obey their superior officers without question, then you cannot fault anyone in the Nazi regime for what they did save for the superior officers that gave those orders. After all, they were just "being good soldiers", amirite?!

Sure, this example is very far removed in magnitude...but the underlying idea is the same. Also, thanks go out to The Mighty 6 platoon for his insight. I can't green you at the moment though.
                    Steady now let's not make my head too big.

I'm not even the biggest expert on the forum, I'm part time, a member of the TA, come from a military family and have a lot of friends in the military. Compared to some of the military guys on the forum I'm a small fry.

Problem is their not online at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Shai Hulud View Post
                      Thing is though, Scott's making a habit of questioning or ignoring Young's orders. Hardly the sort of actions which the Captain of Team Young should be displaying.
                      And if his orders are illegal or even invalid then its his job to question those orders.

Comment

Originally posted by wargrafix View Post
                        He passed through it, like everything else. In and out, in and out.

* get it? :-P
                        i don't get it....sorry my simple mind can't handle certain things...

Comment

And if his orders are illegal or even invalid then its his job to question those orders.
                          Fact that he listens to Wray rather than Young speaks volumes IMHO.
                          Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

Originally posted by erotavlas View Post
                            i don't get it....sorry my simple mind can't handle certain things...
                            A pun on Scott's sexual proclivities?

Comment

Originally posted by Shai Hulud View Post
                              Fact that he listens to Wray rather than Young speaks volumes IMHO.
                              Not really. He listened to Wray in this case because Young was on the verge of committing a highly illegal act under military law. But when Wray tired her little coup Scott was with Young 100%. Pretty much says it all really.

Comment

Steady now let's not make my head too big.
                                *shoots you in the head*
                                There, problem solved

Not really. He listened to Wray in this case because Young was on the verge of committing a highly illegal act under military law. But when Wray tired her little coup Scott was with Young 100%. Pretty much says it all really.
                                This is so true.
                                sigpic
                                http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Working...
                                X