Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
    You think? That'd be a shocker!
    Hey, what if it turns out that Young is not the father, what if the father is some other random guy like Greer, or Telford!!!!!!!!!!!
    sigpic
    siggy made by RogueRanger
    http://youtu.be/frhgT5CMpjo
    killing threads one post at a time

Comment

Originally posted by capricaabydos View Post
      Hey, what if it turns out that Young is not the father, what if the father is some other random guy like Greer, or Telford!!!!!!!!!!!
      The random guy is Scott not

Comment

Saying pregnancies don't have a place in sci-fi is kinda like those who say faith or philosophy or sex or relationships don't have a place. Pregnancies can and do happen in many sci-fi shows and books, and the reasons for them are not just dramatic. For one thing, as someone who writes science fiction, I usually intend to eventually kill off or retire a character after a few volumes, and it's an easy way to provide emotional investment in the new protagonist (or antagonist, whatever) if they are the son or daughter stepping up to take the old hero's place, v. a complete stranger. I doubt SGU will cover the kind of time span I'm talking here, but even if it doesn't, children of the characters provide more than dramatic objects of concern. If Young or TJ dies heroically in the future, you still have 'part of them' left behind in their son or daughter.

I find it ironic that most of the same people who whine about how pregnancy is a soap-opera choice in the show prefer even more personal drama in the form of the child being miscarried. Even better, with a gunshot. Sure, it solves the 'problem,' but isn't that a lot more 'soap opera-ish' than just having a normal pregnancy and popping out a kid?

Comment

Originally posted by hiro View Post
          agree ! it's a very difficult situation and it's normal the think that the baby will rise surrounded by military women/men in tension and in a ship ( eventually ) with no trees , nature ... etc ( eventually )
          I'm reminded of a Gahan Wilson cartoon which could be Tj's and her child's future. It depicts a sterile urban environment. Also in the scene is a child, his mother and a rather sorry looking tree. The child is recoiling in terror at the sight of the tree. (Can't find the graphic on-line.)

The caption reads, "Don't be afraid dear, it's just a tree."

regards,
          G.
          Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by capricaabydos View Post
            I think she's better off on board the destiny, than in an alien planet full of unknown dangers, and I think the baby's father has a right to know, that he's going to be a father, n I'm not sure I could be really wrong but I'm assuming Young is the father of T.J's unborn child!!!!
            What? It can't be! I was so sure it was Daniel Jackson!!
            "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
            Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
            Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
            Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
            Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
              Saying pregnancies don't have a place in sci-fi is kinda like those who say faith or philosophy or sex or relationships don't have a place. Pregnancies can and do happen in many sci-fi shows and books, and the reasons for them are not just dramatic. For one thing, as someone who writes science fiction, I usually intend to eventually kill off or retire a character after a few volumes, and it's an easy way to provide emotional investment in the new protagonist (or antagonist, whatever) if they are the son or daughter stepping up to take the old hero's place, v. a complete stranger. I doubt SGU will cover the kind of time span I'm talking here, but even if it doesn't, children of the characters provide more than dramatic objects of concern. If Young or TJ dies heroically in the future, you still have 'part of them' left behind in their son or daughter.

I find it ironic that most of the same people who whine about how pregnancy is a soap-opera choice in the show prefer even more personal drama in the form of the child being miscarried. Even better, with a gunshot. Sure, it solves the 'problem,' but isn't that a lot more 'soap opera-ish' than just having a normal pregnancy and popping out a kid?
              Good points...now what is this about you being a writer?
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                Daro,

I agree with you. I don't call prioritizing your children selfishness. The ship is a lifeline to Earth but a tenuous one at best. Caine's overweening faith was a tad much. I would have wanted to stay but I doubt I would have. In TJ's circumstance I can certianly understand her desire. The planet, by itself could give her the necessary materials to survive. I doubt that's the last we've heard of those who chose to stay.
                Actually I think the underlying issue of her staying was more because I don't think that she could deal with having to be on the same ship as Young (who is likely the father though correct me if I'm wrong as I don't remember if they spelled that one out) and having to tell him that she was pregnant.

The big question will be how long it will take her to inform everyone else on the ship. Most importantly Young. That is, assuming that he is the father. And if he is not and it was some other random person from Icarus Base, then she may have been more embarrassed than anything, knowing that others on the ship may look at her differently.

Personally I'm hoping that we do see her pregnancy played out till at least after the baby is born so that we can see the struggles of her dealing with being pregnant on a ship with limited resources. And dealing with the whole dynamics of the rest of the people on the ship dealing with the fact that their doctor (who is also military) being pregnant. People getting pregnant and having babies is just a fact of life. And Sci-Fi shows should not be immune to them. Just as long as they are handled in such a way as not to degrade the show or actress/character
                Last edited by SG7; 19 April 2010, 09:14 PM.
                My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
                  What? It can't be! I was so sure it was Daniel Jackson!!
                  we want Daniel Back

Spoiler:
                  i think that he appears in the next episode =D
                  Watching SGA and SGU

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
                    Saying pregnancies don't have a place in sci-fi is kinda like those who say faith or philosophy or sex or relationships don't have a place. Pregnancies can and do happen in many sci-fi shows and books, and the reasons for them are not just dramatic.
                    Who ever said faith, philosophy or relationship dont have a place in sci fi? look at B5, farscape, stargate, bsg, hell any series, they're made of faith, philosophy and relationship. Pregnancies however dont so much have no place, but they're horribly overdone and rather rarely done right (as in add something interesting rather than annoying).
                    Hey, you gotta choose the lesser of two evils, if the writers decided to put in a pregnancy, lets hope atleast the forced drama about some baby no one cares will be gone soon, whether its a miscarry or a bullet to the head is secondary.

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

Originally posted by SG7 View Post
                      The big question will be how long it will take her to inform everyone else on the ship. Most importantly Young. That is, assuming that he is the father. And if he is not and it was some other random person from Icarus Base, then she may have been more embarrassed than anything, knowing that others on the ship may look at her differently.
                      I don't think it will take long at all for the news to get around the ship, given that she told Lt. Scott and Chloe, and Chloe isn't known for keeping secrets. Wasn't she the one that told somebody else about Lt. Scott finding out he had a child he'd never known about. If so, then it isn't likely she'd be keeping her mouth shut about TJ's pregnancy.
                      Last edited by hedwig; 20 April 2010, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Of course it's Young's child. It's been pretty heavily implied for a while now that they'd been having an affair before the show started.

And that was Scott trying to talk to Young, whom Young brushed off
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                          I don't think it will take long at all for the news to get around the ship, given that she told Lt. Scott and Chloe, and Chloe isn't known for keeping secrets. Wasn't she the one that told somebody else about Lt. Scott finding out he had a child he'd never known about. If so, then it isn't likely she'd be keeping her mouth shut about TJ's pregnancy.
                          Does make sense. I can see Chloe letting it "slip" accidentially with out even thinking. I think it may take TJ an episode or two before she tells anyone else. Partly because of having to face Young and tell him. But also because she will be struggling with telling others because of the ramifications that it can have aboard Destiny. The ship's only doctor being pregnant will be a major deal for her character. Unfortunately probably much more than it needs to. As I have mentioned in other threads, people who are pregnant can still perform most of the duties that they are required to do. And in her case, she is a doctor. She will still be able to treat people and give medical attention and advice. There just may be the odd thing that she wouldn't be able to do because of her pregnancy.

I absolutely loved how Alaina portrayed the range of emotions of TJ and the stuff that she had to work through. Getting up the nerve to tell someone that she was pregnant. She probably only told Chloe as Chloe is just a civillian and formost a woman. And probably felt that it was safe to tell her as she does not have military ties. And her opinion would not be clouded by burocracy and military rules.

And then she was probably obligated to tell Scott just because she WAS choosing to stay on the planet and probably knew that to Scott, that decision probably seemed way out in left field for her knowing that she was the ship's only link to medical help
                          My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                          "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Having children is part of being human and one thing I have enjoyed about SGU is adding real human touches to the show. We have sex, depression, suicide, betrayal, lesbians, booz, power struggles, murder (attempted), love, lust, hate, rage and yes we now have pregnancy which will likely result in a child. With the way time passes on this show (4-6 weeks in a single episode) they baby could be hear and a toddler in no time at all.

I'm not saying I want the child to be a major component of the show, I don't...but it is a beautiful part of life. There is nothing more human than having a child, and maybe he/she can add a little joy into a tough and sometimes bleak existence on Destiny!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                              maybe he/she can add a little joy into a tough and sometimes bleak existence on Destiny!
                              So could having a puppy - and I really hope they don't have a puppy. So I'm hoping no baby. I like them in real life, just not in my bleak and dark sci-fi shows!
                              sigpic
                              Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by Character View Post
                                Who ever said faith, philosophy or relationship dont have a place in sci fi? look at B5, farscape, stargate, bsg, hell any series, they're made of faith, philosophy and relationship. Pregnancies however dont so much have no place, but they're horribly overdone and rather rarely done right (as in add something interesting rather than annoying).

Hey, you gotta choose the lesser of two evils, if the writers decided to put in a pregnancy, lets hope atleast the forced drama about some baby no one cares will be gone soon, whether its a miscarry or a bullet to the head is secondary.
                                Sorry if I was vague, I probably was half asleep when I wrote this. I'm agreeing with you totally on the issue, it was a response to some of the people who claim that pregnancies, faith, etc have no place in science fiction. It's my opinion that there's nothing that Science Fiction can't touch on or incorporate. Part of the appeal of the genre is its chameleon nature.

I'm impressed enough with SGU's writing so far that I'm willing to give them a chance on the baby, so I won't join you in your sentiments that TJ should miscarry or lose the child in another way. If it gets soap opera-ish and stays that way, you can say "I told you so."

Comment

Working...
                                X