Jack O'Neill's position and actions in Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IrishPisano,
    There has already been seven episodes, so I already know which direction they are taking. I don't need a full series to tell me otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
      Sounded like he was getting orders from above, but he is smart enough to follow orders.
      Right. The President is the Commander in Chief, and Jack has to follow his orders, like it or not.

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
      I'm guessing they're not on Earth either.

Otherwise, when Young called O'Neill in the middle of the night, he wouldn't be up doing paperwork. He'd be home in bed with Sam
      Yeah. No point in going home.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
        Right. The President is the Commander in Chief, and Jack has to follow his orders, like it or not,
        Not true. U.S. Military soldiers are sworn to the constitution, not to the president or any individual persons or groups of people. I know because I have mil. experience.

Comment

Originally posted by ttsec View Post
          Not true. U.S. Military soldiers are sworn to the constitution, not to the president or any individual persons or groups of people. I know because I have mil. experience.
          Does this look familiar?

I , (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

Comment

Is the guy on the right Jake?
            the guy on the right is captain paul watson of Sea Sheppard
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Does this look familiar?
              No, cause I dropped out half-way through training.

but you should bold this part too:
              according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Comment

No, cause I dropped out half-way through training.

Well, then I guess you missed that part.

Comment

I thought Jack acted very . . . "Jack" considering he is a 3 star. I have never seen Generals correct Officers or Enlisted in front of a crowd, they do exactly what Jack did "Colonel, my office!" And everyone knows what that means (hes getting a butt chewin') It's just how diplomatic Generals are. If a general wants to dress down an officer, particularly a Colonel in front of a crowd, (and I stress *wants because the higher ups don't cut each others legs off), then he would get another Colonel, or a 1 star, or from time to time his own personal Command Chief to do it.

But that didn't happen. Jack used his "Jackness" on the situation which I thought was very in line with the character we know and love. He tried a bit of reason referring to Colonel Carters miraculous last minute schemes, and appealed to his since of duty referring to the President's orders.

Bottom line: Young should have worked with Jack. Instead Young dictated the situation. And the dynamic in the Pentagon room at the end conveyed to me that what happened (concerning the whole operation the President ordered) was exactly what Jack hoped for.

And after thinking about it, if you think Jack should have dressed down Young in front of everyone, then Hammond should have demoted O'Neil to Lt. considering the things Jack has said. But we were privileged to watching that character relation unfold. In this case, the relation is already there, we just have to figure it out (and that is true for all the characters).

I love this show! (even if it is Battlestar Voyager 90210)

Good lord, long post, sorry, I didn't mean to, my thoughts just got away from me. . .

Comment

he seemed fine to me...people just are over reacting to his new role...he cant be sarcastic all the time anymore.he has waaaay too much responsibility right now...besides he would be a huge dbag if he was cracking jokes about the situation aboard the destiny while hes safe on earth having secret rendevous with sam....i mean wat do people want from him...gilligan's island jokes about the destiny crew?

Comment

I thought he was fine. It was awesome enough seeing him in the episode in the first place!

Comment

Right. The President is the Commander in Chief, and Jack has to follow his orders, like it or not.
                        He could always resign or retire...
                        to be with Sam (sic!)

Comment

That's right! I was following orders is not a valid excuse, not since the Nuremberg trials.

Comment

Originally posted by siles View Post
                            That's right! I was following orders is not a valid excuse, not since the Nuremberg trials.
                            Yeah it works a little differently to that. Basically either accept the orders unless they break some military rule, (which all the stuff that came up at Nuremburg would do in modern militaries anyway) or resign ones commission.

Comment

I did not see a problem with the way he was acting.

Jack acted the same way he did in SG1 when dealing with Lt's and Major's. He was always a bit of a jerk to those guys.

People seem to want Jack to act like he did with Carter and Jackson. You forget...

Young is not Jack's friend.
                              Young was not on Jack's team.

For those that want Young dressed down... it would not happen in reality in most cases. Jack is now literally "the man" but Young is a senior officer in homeworld command. Most decent officers will not dress down a senior commander in front of witnesses unless it is absolutely necessary.

As far as I could see... Jack got exactly what he wanted out of the situation. He wanted Young in command from the start. Young refused the expedition command and even after being trapped was hesitant. Jack played him like a fiddle and got him to man up and take charge, like he wanted from the start of the Icarus Project.

Comment

Jack has changed. But given his position and the way he is handling things, I see a little George Hammond in him. I miss the old Jack too, but I like the evolution of the character from field commander to military bureaucrat. It's a believable change.

Questions I have is was Jack lying when he said Telford and the others were ordered to sever the stones connection if the Destiny could not be saved? And did Young know about the plan? He didn't seem too surprised.

Comment

Working...
                                X