Jack O'Neill's position and actions in Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
    You know, I get the feeling O'Neill was cool with it - simply because he wanted Young in command and not Telford. When Young stood up for himself and grew a pair while Telford ran away, O'Neill let it slide.

I can believe that. It is something Jack would do and does keep with his character and personality from SG-1.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Kira View Post
      Jack was right. The military is not a democracy.

Young was being a douche.
      Except that the crew of the Destiny is made up mostly of civilians, not military. I think that was Young's point to Jack.

As for Jack's spine, it's still there and fully intact. I like that Jack took Young into his office and they both expressed their mutual respect for each other. I think the animosity and disrespect at the end was directed at the IOA and Telford, which is something Jack himself has done many times when sitting at a table with Hammond and other Washington types. If anything, I think Jack sees a bit of himself in Young, minus the wisecracking, of course. I really like Young. He's my favorite character, and I'm looking forward to some more interaction with him and O'Neill.

Comment

Originally posted by aream2000 View Post
        i agree, i think O'Neill has changed, part of it is most likely because his job is alot more stressful than in sg-1
        actually i think his newe job has changed in a good way. he can just sit back and relax and not have to worry about commanding a team and keeping everyone safe.

and last i knew the milky way galaxy is safe so earth would also be safe.
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Sounded like he was getting orders from above, but he is smart enough to follow orders.
          sigpic

Comment

being in command changes your perspective on things and your attitude

jack is no longer a field commander, he is the Chief of Homeworld Security.... (which means Earth, the SGC, ATLANTIS, Former Icarus Base, the Destiny crew, and Earth's blossoming SPACE FLEET)..... that will give you a different perspective on things

and, also, let's not forget that O'Neill was once suicidal and that the whole reason he joined Stargate Command was so that he could kill himself on Abydos with a gigantic nuke...

time changes
            situations change
            people change
            c'est la vie

i actually would HATE to see O'Neill being in his current office while still being the maverick he was as a colonel... that would be completely unacceptable for arguably the most important military officer on the planet.
            Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
            Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
            Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
            Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by bobsenior View Post
              Don't get me wrong I prefer General O'Neill to General Landry, but why is Jack suddenly back in charge of the SGC? Earth, Jack O'Neill Quote: "Colonel, my office"
              I like having Jack in charge, but I want to know why he is being a jerk. I am beginning to hate Jack O'Neil. If this is how Jack is going to be written for now on, I might as well burn all of my Stargate dvd sets.

Pardon me while I get the fire ready.

Comment

Because Jack rocks. Duh.

O'Neill: Well, I suppose now is the time for me to say something profound...
                Nothing comes to mind.

Comment

As a matter of fact, I have made up my mind on something. If they don't fix Jack O'Neil's attitude and willingness, I'm NOT going to buy the next SG-1 movie. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
                    What happened to Jack? When did he lose his backbone??
                    Oh, I agree with you. If this is the new direction Jack is being written, I'm not going to buy the next SG-1 movie. I did a double-take from his unwillingness to cross the line. Spineless-jerk Jack O'Neill!

I have my fire ready. If they don't change him back, I'm going to start burning the SG-1 dvd sets.

If they ever get the Stargates: Worlds released, I refuse to put any money down on that game. Since they want to stick it to the fans, I say we should stick it to the franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze View Post
                      Here you go. Ya, face is always the last to go.
                      http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3277/whalewars1p.jpg
                      Is the guy on the right Jake?
                      Last edited by Skydiver; 07 November 2009, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Tomorian View Post
                        Oh, I agree with you. If this is the new direction Jack is being written, I'm not going to buy the next SG-1 movie. I did a double-take from his unwillingness to cross the line. Spineless-jerk Jack O'Neill!

I have my fire ready. If they don't change him back, I'm going to start burning the SG-1 dvd sets.

If they ever get the Stargates: Worlds released, I refuse to put any money down on that game. Since they want to stick it to the fans, I say we should stick it to the franchise.
                        you obviously do not comprehend what it means to be in command

Comment

I'm starting to come to the understanding that Jack because he's a rebellious sort is giving Young a great deal of rope in hopes that he'll turn out to be a great leader. The orders Jack gave Young (and Telford I assume) came from above him. Which is the President. Jack's hands were tied in some ways, but in those small ways (that I didn't really notice on first viewing) he's letting Young get away with a few more things. . . so that he (Young) can stick it to the IOA in ways that Jack can't in his current position. Jack has to play somewhat nice with the IOA being in his position. Young - doesn't.

If Jack chose Young to lead, he's got a good reason. I very badly want to see more Young and Jack interaction.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                            On JM's blog he said this ep would explain why Carter and McKay didn't help out with the Destiny, but that was never discussed, was it? It still appears to be some random group of scientists- albeit the "best minds on earth". I guess McKay and Carter just aren't on earth, huh?
                            I'm guessing they're not on Earth either.

Otherwise, when Young called O'Neill in the middle of the night, he wouldn't be up doing paperwork. He'd be home in bed with Sam
                            sigpic

Comment

Man, I hated this bureaucratic junk when it was used in SG-1. I think its time to just walk away from Stargate as a whole.

Stargate is science-fiction meets mythology. Its not suppose to have a heightened sense of reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Tomorian View Post
                                Man, I hated this bureaucratic junk when it was used in SG-1. I think its time to just walk away from Stargate as a whole.

Stargate is science-fiction meets mythology. Its not suppose to have a heightened sense of reality.
                                i similarly disliked the NID, IOC, IOA storylines.....

but they are not, in my opinion, all that bad in SGU
                                either i'm used to them
                                or its better written

i say, give SGU a full season before deciding...

i mean, i once turned off The Godfather after 5 minutes bc it was boring
                                then i watched the first half hour - and found out it was f****ing awesome

Comment

Working...
                                X