Pro-civilian bias?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    I don't see how a dictatorship under civilians is any better. In fact its quite the same
    Worse actually because under the military there is a structure and there are rules. They're aren't when it comes to civilians.

Comment

I don't see how a dictatorship under civilians is any better. In fact its quite the same
      Haven't you heard?! Military personnel are inherently untrustworthy, violent, arrogant and unfit to command.

Comment

Dictatorships are almost always in some way military - I can't think of a single dictator that managed to stay in power without the force of the military behind him.
        sigpic
        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

what ?

Last i heard people could get rid of a president by not voting for him after his term finishes.

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
            Dictatorships are almost always in some way military - I can't think of a single dictator that managed to stay in power without the force of the military behind him.
            That's because you're thinking in terms of nations. What about on a merchant ship? What about Atlantis? Sure, they have their military/ security behind them, but they aren't military.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemises View Post
              what ?

Last i heard people could get rid of a president by not voting for him after his term finishes.
              Last I heard, that's far from a sure bet.

Comment

what ?

But that is not a dictarship. What the civilians are doing would just gone from a military dictarship to a civilian one
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
                  That's because you're thinking in terms of nations. What about on a merchant ship? What about Atlantis? Sure, they have their military/ security behind them, but they aren't military.
                  What I'm trying to say is - if one person wants to keep command over a larger group of people, and those people don't want that person in command, the only way is by using force/weapons.

The better options are (1) pick a person the people do want in command, (2) have the person they don't like not in complete command. Otherwise, you are sitting there, waiting for the revolution to come.
                  sigpic
                  Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                    Not that simple though. Having the military at least partially on side is necessary but they often resist dictatorships. In Nazi Germany it was the German Army that organised most of the assassination attempts against Hitler, German military officers leaked intelligence to the Allies, and the German army thoroughly despised the SS who were the true power in Nazi Germany.

Comment

But that is not a dictarship. What the civilians are doing would just gone from a military dictarship to a civilian one
                      To be fair, we don't really know how things would have played out.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                        Let's use an example here, if we replace Destiny with a base in Afghanistan and 60 or so civilian contractors have to take shelter there, does the base suddenly fall under civilian control? No it remains under military command. Civilian leader with regards to the military make policy, but the military makes the orders to carry out said policy.
                        No you can't because:

1. US military can't re-supply on the destiny.
                        2. They're not on earth.

P.S A civilian president still controls the military in afghanistan...he can pull em out anytime he wants

Comment

No you can't because:

1. US military can't re-supply on the destiny.
                          2. They're not on earth.

P.S A civilian president still controls the military in afghanistan...he can pull em out anytime he wants
                          OK so surround the base with Taliban. They can't get out, they can't be resupplied, would they still fall under civilian control if civilians were present?

Comment

"Every action has an equal and opposite reaction."

The military forced there hand and that was the only way because young doesn't listen to any civilian.

Comment

OK so surround the base with Taliban. They can't get out, they can't be resupplied, would they still fall under civilian control if civilians were present?
                              At that moment? No, because such a situation is clearly a military emergency situation.
                              Sig by Pandora's Box
                              sigpic

Comment

Put an ancient shield around the base and the civilians can play football!

Comment

Working...
                                X