Pro-civilian bias?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
    I admire the fact that you stated that without going into an anti-Greer "what a ruthless barbarian" tirade as many other posters seem to love doing. Greer applies force where ordered to or where he sees fit. He applies only enough force to get the job done (which includes none if he can make his point through vague threat of force) and no more than that. Just as a US Marine is trained to do. Cheers, have some green

Whoops, scratch that. Apparently I need to spread a little love around to others first.
    Well thank you. I agree with you, but I am glad that you say he uses force. And that's the whole point, right or wrong, in the end, "force" will never be the solution.
    A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
      Yes, but how is this any different than their previous post, Icarus base? Or possibly their post before that, the SGC or Area 51?

These scientists are a part of the Stargate Program. They fall under the command of various military personnel of escalating ranks up to General O'Niell. Why is it now that they're suddenly chafing under the military rule?
      I think a lot of it is that maybe they expect when elsewhere like it was on atlantis, it would be a CIV controled facility with mil backing, rather than mil controled like back on earth.

They kind of agreed to that when they signed their nondisclosure agreement
      Actually signing a NDA is not an agreement of "I agree to be under X rule". It is an agreement to not disclose what you find out/learn etc...

Irrelevent. They are still on a military establishment
      Only cause the military has decided it to be so. Remember SGA? Atlantis was also under attack from the wraith but it remained with a CIVILIAN in charge for 3 full seasons!

When Weir was in charge of Atlantis she didn't run a democracy, she was in charge, she made the decisions and acted in a similar way to people like General Hammond or Landry
      Diff there, to me at least, is that young does not seem to listen to what the others say, where as Wier did.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post

Actually signing a NDA is not an agreement of "I agree to be under X rule". It is an agreement to not disclose what you find out/learn etc...
        Still when civilians agree to work for the military thry agree to follow thier rules.

Only cause the military has decided it to be so. Remember SGA? Atlantis was also under attack from the wraith but it remained with a CIVILIAN in charge for 3 full seasons!
        Actually the president said so.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

I really don't get where this idea comes from that the people working on Icarus were under military command. Have we seen any evidence at all that it wasn't a scientific project with military protection and support? Like Atlantis? Where has it ever been said that the military were in charge before the evacuation?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
            I really don't get where this idea comes from that the people working on Icarus were under military command. Have we seen any evidence at all that it wasn't a scientific project with military protection and support? Like Atlantis? Where has it ever been said that the military were in charge before the evacuation?
            Where did they say it wasn't?

I think given that it was headed by two full birds it was a military base with civilian help. Like the SGC
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post

I think given that it was headed by two full birds it was a military base with civilian help. Like the SGC
              Great comeback

I'm just asking for evidence, seeing as folks seem to be so certain.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post

Given the nature of the 9th Chevron project and why Icarus Base existed in the first place, I would disagree. The base was on the Icarus Planet because it had unique properties that could be used to dial the 9th Chevron. Add to this the fact that the majority (if not all) of the scientists are civilian, and it begins to look like more of a scientific project with military protection...given that the SGC program is military-run anyways.
                Sig by Pandora's Box
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                  Sure, I didn't say the civilians were right to stage a coup or mutiny. That was not what the post was about.
                  Oh, that was just my general opinion on the situation, rather than specifically replying to you.

Greer certainly has his issues with Wray, but apart from that, he and the military as a whole have done nothing more than was necessary to maintain order (eg. Darkness/Light) and some kind of structure. I've not seen a particular effort to force the civilians to submit to their authority. Young willingly ceded authority to Wray in Justice, and was adamantly against using force to maintain it when Greer suggested it. He's shown more regret for and seemed more willing to move past the whole 'framing for murder/abandoning to die' thing, too.

Neither side's perfect, clearly, but I think Young's mostly done a decent job, except for abandoning Rush, and seems a better option than Rush and Wray, who've spent this whole time scheming, plotting and undermining Young instead of trying to go about things in a better way.

All my interpretation, obviously. What a crazy show.

Comment

The civilians would have been no more under the 'command' of the military on Icarus than an employer is of an employee. Young might have been in a position to tell the various civilians there what to do, but ultimately if they wanted to leave the job then they obviously would have been able to. I think it's safe to assume the civilians on board Destiny are no longer in the employ of the US military.

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                      Let's see there's a full bird Colonel in charge of the base, giving orders to scientists. When Rush tried to dial the 9th chevron the first time it was Young that ordered him to shut it down, seems to me Young was pretty in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                        Let's see there's a full bird Colonel in charge of the base, giving orders to scientists. When Rush tried to dial the 9th chevron the first time it was Young that ordered him to shut it down, seems to me Young was pretty in charge.
                        Young was in charge insofar as he called the shots as to the safety and security of the base and those in it. We have no knowledge that he had any sort of control beyond that. He certainly would have had no control to tell the scientists what to do and when on any given day.
                        Sig by Pandora's Box
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                          Young was in charge insofar as he called the shots as to the safety and security of the base and those in it. We have no knowledge that he had any sort of control beyond that. He certainly would have had no control to tell the scientists what to do and when on any given day.
                          When someone has the ability to control what people are doing by simply citing safety and security, they are in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                            Given the nature of the 9th Chevron project and why Icarus Base existed in the first place, I would disagree. The base was on the Icarus Planet because it had unique properties that could be used to dial the 9th Chevron. Add to this the fact that the majority (if not all) of the scientists are civilian, and it begins to look like more of a scientific project with military protection...given that the SGC program is military-run anyways.
                            That means nothing. Looking back at the SGC example a vast majority of the scientist theire were civilians (Yes I know Carter which is why I said majority) and it was still run by the military
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Just like in real life, military is a mess. I've had to work with airforce and they can be quite arrogant and stupid.

The civilian side is always the voice of reason. The fact that guns were drawn against civilians in this episode shows that the military is forcing control. Greer is an idiot and I hope they phase him out soon.

Comment

Originally posted by wargrafix View Post
                                Just like in real life, military is a mess. I've had to work with airforce and they can be quite arrogant and stupid.

The civilian side is always the voice of reason. The fact that guns were drawn against civilians in this episode shows that the military is forcing control. Greer is an idiot and I hope they phase him out soon.
                                Did you even watch the other shows? They're military science fiction and the Stargate franchise virtually invented it.

Comment

Working...
                                X